Tsogt Gombosuren
Tsogt Gombosuren  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 19:20
Member (2004)
English to Mongolian
+ ...
Aug 29, 2005

One of our colleagues has closed 10 out of 49 questions without grading and closed 3 out of 5 most recent questions in such manner.

Do you think there should be a restriction on using "close without grading" function?

I would like to hear the opinions of my peers.

Steffen Pollex (X)
Steffen Pollex (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:20
English to German
+ ...
I think this function Aug 29, 2005

could be abolished alltogether.

Ken Cox
Ken Cox  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
maybe you should contact the moderator Aug 29, 2005

IMO there are some legitimate reasons for closing a question withthout grading (such as if the term asked was subsequently recognised to be a gross typo, etc.), but otherwise I find it more or less insulting to people who have taken the trouble to answer (particularly when the asker only says 'found the answer elsewhere' with no furhther explanation).
Notifying the moderator may be worthwhile in case of systematic abuse. Of course, you can simply refuse to answer that person's questions.

Pablo Grosschmid
Pablo Grosschmid  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
possible solution Aug 29, 2005

1. automatic transfer to moderator of questions closed without grading
2. if moderator does not see a legitimate reason given, she/he leaves it open for robograding as non closed question.

Claudia Iglesias
Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 21:20
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
Could you please forward some links to me? Aug 29, 2005

Tsogt Gombosuren wrote:

One of our colleagues has closed 10 out of 49 questions without grading and closed 3 out of 5 most recent questions in such manner.

Before suggesting any rule that would affect everybody we should have a look at this particular case.
You can send me the information you have via my profile.

Thanks

Claudia

Walter Landesman
Walter Landesman  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 22:20
English to Spanish
+ ...
Abuse. Aug 29, 2005

I think "close w/out grading" is a valid option when an asker has reasons to do it, e.g. not acceptable answers, found answer somewhere else, etc. In those cases, it would be nice for askers to thank people who took time to find and explain an answer and,if that´s the case, tell what answer he/she found somewhere else.

Unfortunately, this does not always work this way. Some askers even get mad when you remind them to close/grade questions or to say what was the answer he/she found
... See more
I think "close w/out grading" is a valid option when an asker has reasons to do it, e.g. not acceptable answers, found answer somewhere else, etc. In those cases, it would be nice for askers to thank people who took time to find and explain an answer and,if that´s the case, tell what answer he/she found somewhere else.

Unfortunately, this does not always work this way. Some askers even get mad when you remind them to close/grade questions or to say what was the answer he/she found somewhere else. Or when you point out that the "answer "found somewhere else", had already been posted in Kudoz.
Besides, in order for questions to be robograded, they have to have a certain number of agrees.

Maybe moderators could do something about it.
Some examples I know of: http://www.proz.com/kudoz/1119986 , http://www.proz.com/kudoz/1122429

Walter
Collapse

Gina W
Gina W
United States
Local time: 21:20
Member (2003)
French to English
It should not be abolished Aug 31, 2005

Steffen Pollex wrote:

could be abolished alltogether.

I think there are valid reasons to close a question without grading, of course in this instance the person is probably doing this too much. However, I do think it's fair to close without grading, on occasion where appropriate.

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Even if I find the answer somewhere else, I give points to whoever came nearest... Sep 3, 2005

People have spent time trying to help, so I give points anyway. I'm grateful to have my findings confirmed too.

What irritates me is when someone closes without grading because they have 'found the answer elsewhere' - but does not tell us what it was!

I think it is common courtesy to share the answer when others have tried to help. None of us have any personal rights to answers - the more widely accepted they become, the more we can claim they are 'correct' as a rule. K
... See more
People have spent time trying to help, so I give points anyway. I'm grateful to have my findings confirmed too.

What irritates me is when someone closes without grading because they have 'found the answer elsewhere' - but does not tell us what it was!

I think it is common courtesy to share the answer when others have tried to help. None of us have any personal rights to answers - the more widely accepted they become, the more we can claim they are 'correct' as a rule. KudoZ is really far more about sharing and helping each other than about grabbing points.

If I can't answer a question myself or don't have time, I sometimes go back later to see what others have suggested and note down their results. It wastes everybody's time, and maybe the question will have to be asked again if there is no answer!
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Abuse of "close without grading" function

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »