Beta testing new design
Thread poster: David Knowles
| | David Knowles
Local time: 23:57
Russian to English
I've let things settle down before writing any comments, but here are my thoughts.
1. I don't like the simplified view, because there's too much white and too little formatting.
2. The advanced view is better, because the boxes and colour are better.
3. The space on the right for the answerer's picture and credentials is too large. I liked that row of icons with credentials and pro and native speaker. I don't think you need to put "United Kingdom Native speaker of English" to the left of the photo, because it reduces the space to the left with the answer.
4. I like the "pro points in this category" and also the asker's history.
5. Like some other posters, I can't see the point of a "no-points" question. I've just answered one, which is also a homework/test question. It's a good question, and certainly deserves points.
6. A "not-for-grading" option for answerers would be useful. It would allow more space than is provided in an agree/disagree box and allow a better means of commenting on several answers without muscling in on people who have done the hard work.
I'm sure there's more, but that's enough for now! Keep up the good work.
| | Ken Cox
Local time: 00:57
German to English
| further comments || Aug 29, 2005 |
Kudoz questions & answers:
- reduced size of confidence box in summary table
- deleted web ref fields
- box for confidence and elapsed time takes up too much space and distracts attention from the answer field
- box for answerer info is too large
- why show both icon and text for Platinum status?
Suggestion: reduce the visual significance of secondary information (elapsed time, answerer info) and change the layout to clearly separate it from the answer field (readers have a strong tendency to regard aligned text as belonging together, particularly horizontally aligned text). Make the answer field as large and visually dominant as reasonably possible.
Also, I agree with David that the icons of the V3 version are a nice way to display Platinum status, native source/target language status, etc., and they are much more compact than text.
Not sure what the point of this is (it smacks of optionitis). It contains essentially the same info as the advanced view, except for the summary table of answers, and it's significantly harder to read (particularly due to the sparse use of colour and the lack of visual separation between the time/confidence field and the answer field in the answer box). Don't forget that once you introduce two options, you also have to maintain two options.
A change that I would dearly love to see is to have the entire text of a peer comment displayed while it is being entered, for the sake of persons such as myself who are erratic typists and are thus more or less compelled to edit their comments before submitting them (of course you can do that afterwards, but it takes time and burdens the asker with unnecesary update messages).
[Edited at 2005-08-29 10:11]
[Edited at 2005-08-29 14:48]
| more comments || Aug 29, 2005 |
Generally, I think the site is changing for the better. Every day I switch on the computer, I notice something new. Sometimes it's really hard to keep track. You think you've finally got used to it and then -bang!- they change it again! I hope that by trial and error, sooner or later, we'll achieve the optimal solution
Anyway, here's my two cents' worth:
I don't really see the point in having the "not for points" option, or the simplified view (it's not that much simplified, and besides it's -er- ugly).
I think the term asked and the selected answer font is way too big.
I agree with Kenneth that secondary information takes up too much space (BTW, the "note added at..." sign could also be made smaller).
I've also noticed some problems with diacritics, which never occurred in the old design. The Beta version doesn't seem to read some characters (more information here: http://www.proz.com/topic/36115 ). That's why I have to stick to the old design, otherwise it's hard to decipher some questions.
Other than that- good job!
[Edited at 2005-08-29 16:18]
[Edited at 2005-08-29 16:20]
To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:
You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »
Beta testing new design
|memoQ translator pro|
|Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.|
With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.
More info »
|For clarity and excellence|
WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime.
Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device.
Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.
More info »