Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8] >
KudoZ per-day asking limits - good or bad?
Thread poster: Henry Dotterer
df49f (X)
df49f (X)
France
Local time: 21:49
KudoZ more pleasant thanks to reduced abuse, but... Sep 12, 2005

Kim Metzger wrote:

I think what annoyed so many of us about serial askers was their perception that they could accept jobs they weren't qualified for and KudoZ would save their necks. We like to help fellow translators, but we balk at aiding and abetting fraud. We don't want to do jobs for people who haven't put in the hard work and study necessary to become a translator. It is right and proper for translators to subscribe to a minimum code of ethics, to adhere to such a code themselves and to express their displeasure when they see it blatantly breached.
In my language pair - German to English - I have seen a distinct decline in the number of people trying to get their jobs done for them by translators.

[Edited at 2005-09-12 16:46]

Not much to add to Kim's excellent summary, except that a good number of abusers, i.e. using Kudoz to get through jobs they're not qualified for, are Platinum members (at least in my pairs)... and that abuse obviously has not been and cannot be curtailed by their 15-question limits...
But of course, there isn't much that could be done about it... paying for a membership will never make anyone a real pro!
Otherwise, I'm all in favor of these limits (and have absolutely no problem with my own 5 non-Platinum allowed questions, since I never need even one)
Thanks for the change.
regards - dominique

------ (X)
------ (X)
German to Spanish
+ ...
Boring Sep 12, 2005

As I usually just answer kudoz questions at proz I find the site quite boring since the introduction of more restrictions. I was against the many restrictions and the censorship at proz before, and naturally I am against the new restrictions. Personally I like abusers because they give me the opportunity to answer. We are all free persons, so if somebody wants to ask and others want to answer, why shouldn't they? It is my time I spend on answering questions,nobody pays me for my work. So I think... See more
As I usually just answer kudoz questions at proz I find the site quite boring since the introduction of more restrictions. I was against the many restrictions and the censorship at proz before, and naturally I am against the new restrictions. Personally I like abusers because they give me the opportunity to answer. We are all free persons, so if somebody wants to ask and others want to answer, why shouldn't they? It is my time I spend on answering questions,nobody pays me for my work. So I think nobody should interfere.
Best regards
Janfri
I suggest as a soundtrack for kudozholics "Some of them want to use you Some of them want to get used by you Some of them want to abuse you Some of them want to be abused .." (Eurythmics)

[Edited at 2005-09-13 20:16]
Collapse

Izabela Szczypka
Izabela Szczypka  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Polish
+ ...
Both good and bad sides Sep 12, 2005

I very much appreciate the disappearance of questions of the "I love you" sort. I've also learned that within a standard daily workload there is no need to ask more than 5 questions (still, the limit of 3 could be too low at times).
On the other hand, what options are left to those who want to earn publicity, popularity or whatever through working hard at answering questions, if the traffic is down by almost 30%? The cost of Platinum may be nothing if you live in the US, but if you live i
... See more
I very much appreciate the disappearance of questions of the "I love you" sort. I've also learned that within a standard daily workload there is no need to ask more than 5 questions (still, the limit of 3 could be too low at times).
On the other hand, what options are left to those who want to earn publicity, popularity or whatever through working hard at answering questions, if the traffic is down by almost 30%? The cost of Platinum may be nothing if you live in the US, but if you live in Albania it's not so. Working out to the top of Kudoz ranking has been an optional way of getting recognised. With limited traffic, it's not going to be easy.
My suggestion is to award an option to ask one extra question for each week (month?) an active (i.e. question-answering) member does not even come close to his/her asking limit (Platinum or not), with the right to accumulate those. We all know there are weeks or even months when we toil quietly, finding everything we need in glossaries etc. and then, BANG, an apparently simple, 2-page job turns out to be a nightmare. This would be an occassion to use the accumulated options, at the same time offering the colleagues a chance to earn some extra Kudoz. What do you think?
Collapse

IanW (X)
IanW (X)
German to English
+ ...
Distinct improvement Sep 12, 2005

Kim Metzger wrote:
In my language pair - German to English - I have seen a distinct decline in the number of people trying to get their jobs done for them by translators.

I for one think that things have improved immensely since this change was implemented. As it generally wasn't the platinum members who were abusing the good nature of their colleagues - at least not in my main two pairs Ger-Eng and Fr-Eng - this seems to have done the trick.

However, I did find that there was very little response to a couple of quite accessible questions I asked recently, but maybe no-one likes me any more ...

Javier Herrera (X)
Javier Herrera (X)
Spanish
... Sep 12, 2005

hecdan wrote:

Usually, I do so. No limits necessary, just plain common sense

By playing kudoz I realized common sense is not that common. You may feel free to ignore some questions. However, others need to have them hidden, or else they'll succumb to kudoholism and contribute to the poor quality of the site, and indirectly, the profession -the reasons why have been discussed countless times-. Yes, I support the limits.

paolamonaco
paolamonaco  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 15:49
English to Italian
+ ...
Not so good Sep 12, 2005

• Less questions = less words entered into glossaries (=less traffic)
• Less questions = less agrees and a lower chance for newcomers to give their contribution to the site and to "taste" the opportunity to make bids
• Newcomers will not be able to gain an adequate number of kudoz in their field of specialization
• I think that, except from other benefits, the chance of asking 15 questions a day is not worth a Platinum Membership
• And yes, the atmosphere has de
... See more
• Less questions = less words entered into glossaries (=less traffic)
• Less questions = less agrees and a lower chance for newcomers to give their contribution to the site and to "taste" the opportunity to make bids
• Newcomers will not be able to gain an adequate number of kudoz in their field of specialization
• I think that, except from other benefits, the chance of asking 15 questions a day is not worth a Platinum Membership
• And yes, the atmosphere has definitively changed. It is worse(
Collapse

Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:49
French to English
Sounds like a potential poll to me Sep 12, 2005

Henry wrote:

KudoZ participants, please tell me: are we better or worse off with the limits, and why?

You might want to fine tune the question, but something along the lines of:
Better off
About the same
Worse off
No opinion/don't know

ought to cover most of it, I think. You could divide the worse/better off options into "very much .../ generally..." if you wanted to measure relative feeling more accurately, but it might be interesting.

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 15:49
SITE FOUNDER
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Charlie Sep 12, 2005

Charlie Bavington wrote:
Sounds like a potential poll to me...

Good idea. Done.
Please cast your vote.

Marina Meier
Marina Meier  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:49
English to Spanish
+ ...
Good way to stop the abuse! Sep 12, 2005

I´m not a KudoZ answerer but I think it´s a good idea. I personally would restric them even more.
Maru.

Will Matter
Will Matter  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:49
English
+ ...
Worse Sep 12, 2005

Basically, I agree with all of the points made by paolamonaco. Less traffic is bad for all of us in almost every way. Even before, people always had the option to ignore any question that they didn't want to answer and they still have that option. Since I very rarely ask questions (only 5 in nearly three years of membership) the limits don't really affect me but i'd like to see them done away with. Ignore it, squash it or answer it, these options are good enough for me.

vladex
vladex  Identity Verified
Polish
+ ...
generally good, but... Sep 12, 2005

I think the limits are a bit too restrict. In Polish community we had "informal" limits about 20 questions a day and it was good. I think it worked good enough. I agree with Iza Szczypka, the idea of "provisions" might be nice somrtomes.

Antonella Andreella (X)
Antonella Andreella (X)  Identity Verified
Italy
German to Italian
+ ...
Restriction per year Sep 12, 2005

Hi all,

I'd suggest a restriction per year instead. Because:

1) I'm a good girl and usually try to find answers by myself but it could be somehow and somewhen that I can't search the web, I can't look up in my dictionaries, I can't understand what I'm reading ... don't know what else, so on that given day I could post let's say 30 questions.

2) On the other hand "friendly" collegaues who love
... See more
Hi all,

I'd suggest a restriction per year instead. Because:

1) I'm a good girl and usually try to find answers by myself but it could be somehow and somewhen that I can't search the web, I can't look up in my dictionaries, I can't understand what I'm reading ... don't know what else, so on that given day I could post let's say 30 questions.

2) On the other hand "friendly" collegaues who love sharing their translation assignments with ProZ.com community, not their income though, can still go on "sharing" their work one day after the other.

But I consider the current limit as an improvement.

On the other hand it all depends from the site's medium/long-term goals: i.e. more traffic or more quality, if quality pays enough I'd go for more quality but that's another issue and I'm afraid it's not my cup of tea

Regards
Antonella
Collapse

Clarisa Moraña
Clarisa Moraña  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:49
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
I appreciate the limits Sep 12, 2005

While I'm not quite sure that the restrictions will work, sometimes I wished there were restritions to all those compulsive kudoz answerers, those who tend to answer the first thing it comes to their minds, demonstrating the validity of their words with a doubtful Google search. This is the people who is always in a rush to reply, but not always their answers are the best. I wish I could avoid that people.

Regards,

Clarisa

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

KudoZ per-day asking limits - good or bad?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »