Is the "right" to ask blocked for askers with open questions more than a week old?
Thread poster: Anabel Martínez
Anabel Martínez
Anabel Martínez  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 10:17
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Sep 29, 2005

I'm sorry if this is stated somewhere and I have misunderstood the new rules, but I believed that the chance to ask a Kudoz question was automatically blocked for users with questions open for more than one week old. That is to say, that they have to grade their older questions in order to be able to ask a new one.

However, now I don't know if this is the case, because I keep seeing people with open questions they asked at the beginning of the year and still they can post more quest
... See more
I'm sorry if this is stated somewhere and I have misunderstood the new rules, but I believed that the chance to ask a Kudoz question was automatically blocked for users with questions open for more than one week old. That is to say, that they have to grade their older questions in order to be able to ask a new one.

However, now I don't know if this is the case, because I keep seeing people with open questions they asked at the beginning of the year and still they can post more questions today....

Sorry if I'm being repetitive here...
Collapse

Claudia Iglesias
Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 04:17
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
10 questions / 1 week for Platinum Sep 29, 2005

Hi Anabel

This is the rule

In addition, askers with more than 10 questions that have been open for more than a week are asked to close their questions before asking new ones.

If you have noticed that something is not working as it should, please send the information and I'll investigate that.

Claudia

Anabel Martínez
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not more than 10 questions Sep 29, 2005

Hi Claudia, thanks for your prompt reply!

Now I see that I hadn't got the full rule right. What I see is people with something like 7 or 9 open questions. But many of these questions date as far back as february, for instance. I thought that the system would prevent people with open questions which are so old from asking, but it was my mistake. Still, I'm not saying that I like the situation, but the system is working as you say...
See more
Hi Claudia, thanks for your prompt reply!

Now I see that I hadn't got the full rule right. What I see is people with something like 7 or 9 open questions. But many of these questions date as far back as february, for instance. I thought that the system would prevent people with open questions which are so old from asking, but it was my mistake. Still, I'm not saying that I like the situation, but the system is working as you say

Regards,

Anabel
Collapse

Anabel Martínez
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
but only for Plats? Sep 29, 2005

Sorry, I had neglected the part about these being the rules for Plats... I don't know the rules for non-plats, but I just checked and the instance I was right now thinking about is a non-Platinum member...

Claudia Iglesias
Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
Not only Platinum Sep 29, 2005

In fact it's not specified only for Platinums, I assumed that because the others can't ask as many questions in 24 hours, but it seems that they are two different cases.

Anyway, I can suggest that asker to grade hs questions, send me the information (privately).

Claudia

Anabel Martínez
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the info Sep 29, 2005

Thanks once again, Claudia,

Actually I suggested (politely in an ask the asker note) to one of these particular askers that she would probably get more input both with some context and closing old questions, but there has been no reply or action, so probably we shouldn't bother...

I was only a bit puzzled because I somehow thought that, if now the system goes so fast that you close your questions within a week, it would be logical to block kudoz for those askers with o
... See more
Thanks once again, Claudia,

Actually I suggested (politely in an ask the asker note) to one of these particular askers that she would probably get more input both with some context and closing old questions, but there has been no reply or action, so probably we shouldn't bother...

I was only a bit puzzled because I somehow thought that, if now the system goes so fast that you close your questions within a week, it would be logical to block kudoz for those askers with old questions. But hey, the system has greatly improved

Thanks again!!
Collapse

JaneTranslates
JaneTranslates  Identity Verified
Puerto Rico
Spanish to English
+ ...
Old questions should be closed, by asker or moderator. Sep 29, 2005

I agree, Anabel. I check my list of answered KudoZ questions from time to time, and it's a nuisance to have to click through many pages to see all the open ones. Some are eventually robot-graded, but some languish in limbo with insufficient peer agrees for the robot.

The system should (perhaps it already does) send automated reminders; if there is no response, the asker should be warned once that his/her asking privileges will be temporarily suspended, and after three days the susp
... See more
I agree, Anabel. I check my list of answered KudoZ questions from time to time, and it's a nuisance to have to click through many pages to see all the open ones. Some are eventually robot-graded, but some languish in limbo with insufficient peer agrees for the robot.

The system should (perhaps it already does) send automated reminders; if there is no response, the asker should be warned once that his/her asking privileges will be temporarily suspended, and after three days the suspension should take place.

After six months, the system should close questions without grading, or award 1 point to each answerer who received at least 1 peer agree. That's still not fair to the answerers, but we can't expect moderators to weigh hundreds (thousands?) of answers and give a grade based on merit. That's not their job.

In my dreams, I picture those questions bounced up to the top of the KudoZ list, or placed on a special list, properly labelled, with a request that ProZers simply register their votes, agree or disagree (no new answers, no neutrals, no comments). Then after 24 hours, the robot grades and closes the question. I don't think this is going to happen; it's just my dream. I like closure!
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is the "right" to ask blocked for askers with open questions more than a week old?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »