Q re Kudoz (why a confidence rating of 5 is rated higher than agrees)
Thread poster: xxxLia Fail
xxxLia Fail  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 05:12
Spanish to English
+ ...
Nov 27, 2005

I have 2 questions in fact:

1. Questions I posted have been closed automatically. The reason I haven't closed them myslef and SOONER is that I have been working my way through 50,000 words in 90 files, so hadn't come full circle....it seems logical to deal with the questions/answers in a second round, as one works one's way systematically through files a second time.

I know it's in everybody's interest to close Qs quickly, but would it be possible to allow members/certain members to request a stay of closure for particular circumstances, such as in this case, a big job?

2. I was very surprised to see that an answer with a (theoretically highly subjective) confidence rating of 5 with no agrees was automatically awarded the points over another answer with a confidence rating of 4, with many - theoretically objective - agrees. Surely agrees should count for more than a self-assessed rating...?

Direct link Reply with quote

Walter Landesman  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 01:12
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
it`s weird Nov 27, 2005

I think Mr. Robot does not award the points to a #5 answer with no agrees. Rules state they should have at least 2 agrees. Check that up, please.

Walter

Oleg Prots  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 06:12
Member (2003)
English to Ukrainian
+ ...
Please contact the moderator of the appropriate language pair. Nov 27, 2005

Dear Lia,

At the bottom of each question you may find a name of the Moderator responsible for that language pair and a "Call to this question" link. If there is no moderator assigned specifically to that pair, please contact any moderator from the list who is likely to speak the relevant language, or, if it is more convenient to you, write to me with the question URL to have it sorted out.

[Edited at 2005-11-27 23:06]

Angus Woo
Local time: 12:12
Chinese to English
+ ...
I agree with Walter Nov 28, 2005

Walter Landesman wrote:

I think Mr. Robot does not award the points to a #5 answer with no agrees. Rules state they should have at least 2 agrees. Check that up, please.

Walter

This should not be happpening.

xxxIanW
Local time: 05:12
German to English
+ ...
Period of grace Nov 28, 2005

I know it's in everybody's interest to close Qs quickly, but would it be possible to allow members/certain members to request a stay of closure for particular circumstances, such as in this case, a big job?

Quite agree. Perhaps there should be an option, at least for seasoned Prozacs, to postpone the awarding of points to a later date together with the option of adding a note. For example, in Lia's (Ailish?) case, she could say "I'm planned to deliver this job on X December and will close all questions following this".

I can't see anyone having an objection to that.

All the best

Ian

moken  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:12
English to Spanish
+ ...
Good points Nov 28, 2005

Hi Ailish,

Lia Fail wrote:

1. Questions I posted have been closed automatically. The reason I haven't closed them myslef and SOONER is that I have been working my way through 50,000 words in 90 files, so hadn't come full circle....it seems logical to deal with the questions/answers in a second round, as one works one's way systematically through files a second time. I know it's in everybody's interest to close Qs quickly, but would it be possible to allow members/certain members to request a stay of closure for particular circumstances, such as in this case, a big job?

I second this idea. Moreover, there have been cases where I've needed client feedback to make the most appropriate glossary entry (in fact I currently have an open question in this situation). This can take time. Perhaps the e-mail reminders/link to the page could include a sort of 'Yes, I intend to close this question for the benefit of the glossary' or some sort of check-box whereby you can delay robot grading. You can always edit the glossary but still, you like to be able to award the merit to whoever gave you the 'best' answer. This may be a minor issue and not feasible given the amount of work the site already requires , but since the subject has been raised...

Your second point surprises me too. I didn't think this could happen. I would have assumed that confidence level only came into play when agrees were equal.

Saludoz,

Álvaro

gad
United States
Local time: 23:12
French to English
I agree, Lia Nov 28, 2005

I think that two weeks is not long enough for a question to automatically close, if you are working on a large project. This happened to me before, and I didn't like it, and I posted about it on the forum somewhere. Answerers on the one hand are adamant that Askers MUST wait a strict 24 hours to close/grade a question, yet then the question may be automatically graded in just two weeks. I totally agree that people should not be leaving questions open forever, but I feel that the automatic grading should be extended to more than two weeks, for the reason you stated, Lia. I think what would be better than this push to have NEW questions closed within two weeks, would be to somehow have OLD questions closed now, as I come across old open questions all the time when I use the ProZ.com Term Search.

And I only put so much stock in a confidence level, as it depends upon the person. Some Answerers systematically put a "5" confidence level, yet then they add addendums, etc, as they go along, indicating that their confidence level should not in fact be a "5". However, I also don't think that "agrees" necessarily always indicate the best/correct answer either, though they do help. I would think that more than two "agrees" would be required to prompt the robot, as any one of us who answers questions has two friends on this site who might "agree" with us.;)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Q re Kudoz (why a confidence rating of 5 is rated higher than agrees)

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search