Kirill Semenov
Kirill Semenov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 05:09
Member (2004)
English to Russian
+ ...
Jan 13, 2006

Aren't we allowed to squash questions anymore? I may be stupid, but I cannot find the `Squash' button in any design anymore...

Elvira Stoianov
Elvira Stoianov  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
Local time: 04:09
German to Romanian
+ ...
interesting Jan 13, 2006

I just saw the squash button in a question that was closed by the asker before it received any answers (http://www.proz.com/kudoz/1228869), but after going to another question, I saw no squash button.

[Edited at 2006-01-13 19:04]

Kirill Semenov
Ukraine
Member (2004)
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Really strange... Jan 13, 2006

Elvira, when I follow your link, I see the Squash button. But not in other questions. Strange, indeed...

Elvira Stoianov wrote:
I just saw the squash button in a question that was closed by the asker before it received any answers (http://www.proz.com/kudoz/1228869), but after going to another question, I saw no squash button.

Maria Diaconu
Maria Diaconu  Identity Verified
Romania
English to Romanian
Everything is fine, as far as I know Jan 13, 2006

The squash button appears only for questions which haven't received any answers. Once a question has received an answer, it cannot be squashed anymore, so the button disappears.
I checked some questions and it is like I said.

Kirill Semenov
Ukraine
Member (2004)
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Makes sense... Jan 13, 2006

Maria Diaconu wrote:
The squash button appears only for questions which haven't received any answers.

Thank you, Maria! Yes, it makes sense. I just haven't noticed the change probably...

PB Trans
PB Trans

Local time: 03:09
French to English
+ ...
Not necessarily... Jan 14, 2006

Earlier today, I saw a Kudoz question that was posted twice. No answers were given and I still couldn't find the squash button.

JaneTranslates
JaneTranslates  Identity Verified
Puerto Rico
Local time: 22:09
Spanish to English
+ ...
So tell me once again, who can squash? Jan 14, 2006

Who can squash questions? Apparently, not me.

I just went to KudoZ and looked for a question with no answers. There was no squash button that I could see. I have never, in fact, seen a squash button. Is squashing a privilege granted by invitation? I see that those who have posted on this forum are not moderators, so that can't be the deciding factor.

It's not that I particularly want to squash any questions.

[Edited at 2006-01-14 03:39]

Balasubramaniam L.
Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 07:39
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
I think it requires a certain threshold of kudoz points Jan 14, 2006

JaneTranslates wrote:

Who can squash questions? Apparently, not me.

I think it requires a certain threshold of kudoz points, 500 I think, before you have the privilege of squashing questions.

Maria Diaconu
Romania
English to Romanian
Who can squash Jan 14, 2006

JaneTranslates wrote:
Is squashing a privilege granted by invitation?

The right to squash and to reclassify questions as pro/non-pro is granted to members who have at least 50 kudoz points and who pass a little 10-question test. In other words, you have to apply, pass the test and then you'll be granted that "privilege". But I am so sorry that I can't find the link where you can apply. I did it a long time ago. It used to be in the How-to section, in the article http://www.proz.com/howto/327 but I can't see it anymore. Maybe you can see the "apply" link, if you haven't applied yet.

[Edited at 2006-01-14 09:59]

JaneTranslates
Puerto Rico
Spanish to English
+ ...
Thank you to both Jan 14, 2006

Thanks, Balasubramaniam and Maria. As I said, I don't particularly desire to squash questions, just was curious about the "squash button" that others see (sometimes) and I don't. But I might as well take the test!

I can, however, vote to reclassify as pro or non-pro. I think I could do that even before I was platinum. It changes automatically after 3 votes, doesn't it? I know I've seen my name on a question as "reclassified as pro by JaneTranslates" or something of the sort. And I
... See more
Thanks, Balasubramaniam and Maria. As I said, I don't particularly desire to squash questions, just was curious about the "squash button" that others see (sometimes) and I don't. But I might as well take the test!

I can, however, vote to reclassify as pro or non-pro. I think I could do that even before I was platinum. It changes automatically after 3 votes, doesn't it? I know I've seen my name on a question as "reclassified as pro by JaneTranslates" or something of the sort. And I never did anything except happen to be the 3rd voter.

Probably, if I would take the time to visit every page on this website and read everything, instead of (for instance) reading so many forums, I would find the answers to lots of my questions!
Collapse

Maria Diaconu
Romania
English to Romanian
About reclassifying Jan 14, 2006

JaneTranslates wrote:
I can, however, vote to reclassify as pro or non-pro. I think I could do that even before I was platinum. It changes automatically after 3 votes, doesn't it?

Anyone can vote.
But, when you have the right to reclassify, a Mark pro/non-pro button is visible, and you can reclassify without any votes, with no more than a click on that button. That's the difference

[Edited at 2006-01-14 14:01]

JaneTranslates
Puerto Rico
Spanish to English
+ ...
about reclassifying Jan 14, 2006

I see. Thanks! Actually, I think I prefer just voting. What if a person with the right to reclassify decides to mark all the questions that s/he has answered as Pro, for the extra prestige of Pro-level KudoZ?

Maria Diaconu
Romania
English to Romanian
well... Jan 14, 2006

JaneTranslates wrote:
What if a person with the right to reclassify decides to mark all the questions that s/he has answered as Pro, for the extra prestige of Pro-level KudoZ?

Than a moderator should take action. But I don't think there would be so many cases.

Balasubramaniam L.
Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 07:39
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
A person who answers a question shouldn't have this right... Jan 15, 2006

JaneTranslates wrote:

What if a person with the right to reclassify decides to mark all the questions that s/he has answered as Pro

That is an interesting point. The system should prevent those who answer a particular question from reclassifying it as pro, and the person who has reclassified it from answering the question. Don't you think so?

JaneTranslates
Puerto Rico
Spanish to English
+ ...
I agree, Balasubramaniam! Jan 15, 2006

Balasubramaniam wrote:

JaneTranslates wrote:

What if a person with the right to reclassify decides to mark all the questions that s/he has answered as Pro

That is an interesting point. The system should prevent those who answer a particular question from reclassifying it as pro, and the person who has reclassified it from answering the question. Don't you think so?

(I love writing your name! This time I didn't have to click the "Back" button to check the spelling. ;-D )

Yes, I fully agree. But that is not the current situation. Just yesterday (or the day before) I saw a question with only one answer, and the answerer had voted to reclassify the question as Pro. S/he may have done so in all sincerity, but I don't think it looks right and I wouldn't do it.

[Edited at 2006-01-15 19:08]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

`Squash' is gone...

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »