Jussara Simoes (X)
Jussara Simoes (X)  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 14:45
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Jan 26, 2006

the reply I received was:

"We have no plans to remove the KudoZ service...
... if that is what you are suggesting."

And you don't even have plans to remove that kind of "translator" from ProZ? I think I gave you quite a representative example of lack of qualification to work as a translator. So, if you really have plans to attract more and more of that kind of people here, why are you trying to take money from people who has a lot of more lucrative things to do th
... See more
the reply I received was:

"We have no plans to remove the KudoZ service...
... if that is what you are suggesting."

And you don't even have plans to remove that kind of "translator" from ProZ? I think I gave you quite a representative example of lack of qualification to work as a translator. So, if you really have plans to attract more and more of that kind of people here, why are you trying to take money from people who has a lot of more lucrative things to do than working for free for bogus translators here?
Collapse

Walter Landesman
Walter Landesman  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 13:45
English to Spanish
+ ...
Do no take Kudoz away. Jan 26, 2006

I think that Kudoz system is one of the best features in Proz. The glossaries are a real treasure. Amazing that somebody asks for its removal.

This is the first time I ever read this. I don´t think anybody would support this idea.

Walter

Yaotl Altan
Yaotl Altan  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 10:45
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Don't remove Jan 26, 2006

Exactly. There could be some wrong translations BUT there is the "disagree" option so translators can state their potential disagreement.

Of course, this is not the panacea for translators but a good tool. It's up to every translator how much credibility gives to the Kudoz section. I like it because it has helped me and taught me some concepts.

Shall we destroy all the highways just because there are some drivers prone to get killed driving at 200 kph? Or pools because
... See more
Exactly. There could be some wrong translations BUT there is the "disagree" option so translators can state their potential disagreement.

Of course, this is not the panacea for translators but a good tool. It's up to every translator how much credibility gives to the Kudoz section. I like it because it has helped me and taught me some concepts.

Shall we destroy all the highways just because there are some drivers prone to get killed driving at 200 kph? Or pools because some people drown? or motels because of AIDS? I don't think so.
Collapse

Jussara Simoes (X)
Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
one more detail, guys Jan 26, 2006

My reg no. here is 136.

You, guys, are 100038 and 122987. I don't think you've been around much longer than I, have you? I've seen enough here. For some 5 or 6 years (can't remember), ProZ has been getting worse and worse. The "translators" level has been going down down down, and Henry's banking account going up up up. Where are the really experienced and educated translators? Where have they gone? Year after year I come here to look for them, but they keep coming and leaving. The
... See more
My reg no. here is 136.

You, guys, are 100038 and 122987. I don't think you've been around much longer than I, have you? I've seen enough here. For some 5 or 6 years (can't remember), ProZ has been getting worse and worse. The "translators" level has been going down down down, and Henry's banking account going up up up. Where are the really experienced and educated translators? Where have they gone? Year after year I come here to look for them, but they keep coming and leaving. The won't stay.

You've just arrived, guys, you see something you like to play with and you say it's the seventh wonder of the world. I really want to see what you say in 5 or 6 years. I come here once a year and the faces I see are never the same.
Collapse

Maria Karra
Maria Karra  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:45
Member (2000)
Greek to English
+ ...
what is the point of this thread? Jan 26, 2006

I'm sure I can read, and yet I still don't understand which issue we are trying to address here. The quality of KudoZ questions? The quality of KudoZ answers? Platinum membership? Henry's bank account? The translation skills of KudoZ participants? The KudoZ system in its entirety? The quality of ProZ.com features?

Jussara Simoes wrote:
My reg no. here is 136.

You, guys, are 100038 and 122987.

Jussara, we have users on ProZ that have been members for years but rarely use this site. And we have others who joined a couple of months ago and who barely log off. To know the site and appreciate what it offers you have to be a frequent user and go through all its functions; the date one joined isn't as important IMHO.

Now, regarding membership (paid): it is optional, as we all know. I don't think that what's in Henry's mind is our money, but rather the translators' community. Henry and his team are offering us a service, they work hard to improve this site for our benefit, for the translation community's benefit. We pay a membership fee to enjoy all the features described here: http://www.proz.com/plat/
If one doesn't consider them worthwile, one does not have to be a member of ProZ.com. However, from recent polls I think it's obvious that more and more members appreciate these features and become platinum.

About "that part where [you] can post a sample translation together with the original": if you think that this is the only useful thing on this website, you can certainly create such a table on your own website, if you have one. It's a simple HTML code (found on most HTML tutorials online; usually in the section about Tables. All you need to do is create a table with two columns and enter your text.)

Finally, Jussara, there will always be bad translators no matter which country or which website you are in. The ProZ group was not meant to be a restricted-access group. Everyone is welcome. As we've written in the forums many times, ProZ is a venue. We come here to meet clients and colleagues, to share our knowledge and experience, and to help each other learn about the business and the art of translation. We can't avoid bad translators; what we can do is use this site (including the forums and KudoZ) to help them to improve.

Maria

[Edited at 2006-01-26 02:26]

Jussara Simoes (X)
Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
weird Jan 26, 2006

Madame Maria Karra wrote:

what is the point of this thread?

If it's pointless, what are you doing here? Trying to prove your point? What's your point, then, if this is pointless?

> About "that part where [you] can post a sample translation together with the original": if you think that this is the only useful thing on this website, you can certainly create such a table on your own website, if you have one. It's a simple HTML code (found on most HTML tutorials online; usually in the section about Tables. All you need to do is create a table with two columns and enter your text.)

I am a translator, not a webmaster.
(Scott, where are you, pal, when I need you?)

We come here to meet clients and colleagues,

It's really weird. I've been coming here at least once a year and I can't find any clients and colleagues, only pointless people like you.

Bye bye.

Maria Karra
Maria Karra  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:45
Member (2000)
Greek to English
+ ...
my point Jan 26, 2006

Jussara Simoes wrote:
If it's pointless, what are you doing here? Trying to prove your point? What's your point, then, if this is pointless?

I think I made my point clear. I just couldn't see yours. Please read my post again.
As for what I'm doing here, I was trying to discuss with you, but that is definitely pointless, I'm afraid.

It's really weird. I've been coming here at least once a year and I can't find any clients and colleagues, only pointless people like you.

I do not appreciate the personal attack. The forum rules forbid personal attacks and require professionalism which I don't see in any of your posts. I don't think ProZ is responsible for your lack of colleagues or clients. Read again this and the previous thread you opened, and perhaps you will also see what is responsible.

Have a good night, everyone.
Maria

[Edited at 2006-01-26 02:57]

IanW (X)
IanW (X)
Local time: 18:45
German to English
+ ...
Revolving doors Jan 26, 2006

KudoZ is an extremely valuable tool if you know how to separate the wheat from the chaff. It's also a good way of networking and having a kind of "virtual" office with other translators.

In any case, would you be in favour of banning revolving doors just because some people stop to tie their shoelaces in them?

As regards the "one useful thing" that you claim that ProZ offers - how can "serious clients" be sure that the sample translation wasn't done by someone else.

Joanna Borowska
Joanna Borowska  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
my two cents' worth Jan 26, 2006

Jussara Simoes wrote:

I've been a member for as long as ProZ's database can remember, but I've never closed any deal here.

As a non-paying member I didn't close any deal, either, but since I went Platinum (last month) I have already closed three.

Why should I pay for a site where I've never closed any deal?

Investment?

a site that lets bogus translators post questions like those cannot be serious

This site allows EVERYBODY to post questions, both experienced translators and beginners, and even (shocking as it may seem) non-translators.

Ian Winick wrote:

KudoZ is an extremely valuable tool if you know how to separate the wheat from the chaff. It's also a good way of networking and having a kind of "virtual" office with other translators.

I was about to say that it's like an online translation course with different "levels" and different kinds of "students" so I think we agree on this one

In any case, would you be in favour of banning revolving doors just because some people stop to tie their shoelaces in them?

Exactly.

Joanna

[Edited at 2006-01-26 11:37]

De la Vera C (X)
De la Vera C (X)
Argentina
Local time: 13:45
English to Spanish
Couldn't agree more Jan 26, 2006

Maria Karra wrote:

Now, regarding membership (paid): it is optional, as we all know. I don't think that what's in Henry's mind is our money, but rather the translators' community. Henry and his team are offering us a service, they work hard to improve this site for our benefit, for the translation community's benefit. We pay a membership fee to enjoy all the features described here: http://www.proz.com/plat/
If one doesn't consider them worthwile, one does not have to be a member of ProZ.com. However, from recent polls I think it's obvious that more and more members appreciate these features and become platinum.

Maria

[Edited at 2006-01-26 02:26]

The only thing I would like to add is, how do you expect to appreciate Proz.com (and get clients here) if you come here once a year?

Sorry, I had to get that off my chest.

Verónica

[Edited at 2006-01-26 11:59]

Mikhail Kropotov
Mikhail Kropotov  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Russian
+ ...
To each his own Jan 26, 2006

No one forces you to pay for platinum membership. It's a simple decision: either you find the membership valuable enough to pay the fee - or you don't. The Proz community loves to welcome new members and earlier members who may have rediscovered the site. Nevertheless, I will not try to "convert" you into a "Kudoz believer." Of course I only speak for myself.

Lesley Clarke
Lesley Clarke  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 10:45
Spanish to English
Uncalled for abuse Jan 26, 2006

I think this abuse is totally uncalled for. If you Jussara do not like Proz you don't have to use it. But I see no need to start a forum to be pointlessly rude to people who do like it and find it useful.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

I did not find a "reply" link on the previous topic

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »