Thread poster: JaneTranslates
JaneTranslates
JaneTranslates  Identity Verified
Puerto Rico
Local time: 08:31
Spanish to English
+ ...
Feb 17, 2006

I have an open question for which I received only one answer. That answer gave me no new information and received only 2 responses, a disagree and a neutral.

I've approached my question from my profile page, from the KudoZ listing, and from the emailed link, but can't get the usual grading options. The one answer shows the "choose this answer" option, but that's it.

Is this a policy change, a glitch, or something that I'm forgetting to do? Thanks!

Daniela Zambrini
Daniela Zambrini  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 14:31
English to Italian
+ ...
workaround Feb 17, 2006

I think you might first have to decline the answer, then return to the page: after that you should be able to see the close without grading button.

[Edited at 2006-02-17 17:43]

JaneTranslates
Puerto Rico
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I don't even have that option. Feb 17, 2006

Daniela Zambrini wrote:

I think you might first have to decline the answer, then return to the page: after that you should be able to see the close without grading button.

[Edited at 2006-02-17 17:43]

All I get, at the bottom of the one answer, is :

Select this answer as most helpful -- Note to answerer.

In the past, I've gotten all sorts of invitations to grade the answer. Something either has been changed or is not working right. Maybe I should have posted this in Technical Help???

Steffen Walter
Steffen Walter  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
Which KudoZ design are you using? Feb 17, 2006

Hi Jane,

You might try and switch between the most recent and the previous KudoZ design. Perhaps that'll provide you with the required feature.

Steffen

Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 07:31
Spanish
+ ...
You can't from the standard design Feb 17, 2006

Right above the terms there's the option to switch to the Original or the V3 design. You have to switch to the V3 design to be able to decline an answer.

Claudia

JaneTranslates
Puerto Rico
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
OK, that worked! Feb 17, 2006

Thank you, Steffen and Claudia! Now, why on earth would they take away this option?

[Edited at 2006-02-17 20:11]

Steffen Walter
Germany
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
Temporary glitch? Feb 21, 2006

JaneTranslates wrote: Now, why on earth would they take away this option?

I can only assume that this is a temporary glitch in the most current design. I'd recommend submitting a support ticket if the problem persists -> http://www.proz.com/support

Steffen

JaneTranslates
Puerto Rico
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Doesn't sound temporary Feb 21, 2006

Steffen Walter wrote:

JaneTranslates wrote: Now, why on earth would they take away this option?

I can only assume that this is a temporary glitch in the most current design. I'd recommend submitting a support ticket if the problem persists -> http://www.proz.com/support

Steffen

Thanks, Steffen. If I have occasion to ask a question again soon I'll watch for the "Close without grading" option. I had never before had occasion to close without grading, and I hope I never do again, but I can at least check to see if the button is there.

But from your previous comment, and Claudia's, it sounds like a policy change, not a glitch. Otherwise, why should the option be available in V3 but not the current standard version?

I've been hoping someone from staff would step in and explain either:
1. That they're going to change it back; or
2. The reasons for the change.

[Edited at 2006-02-21 14:00]

Steffen Walter
Germany
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
Don't think it's a permanent policy change Feb 21, 2006

JaneTranslates wrote:
But from your previous comment, and Claudia's, it sounds like a policy change, not a glitch. Otherwise, why should the option be available in V3 but not the current standard version?

Just today I have seen a German-English question closed without grading in the newest KudoZ design, so the feature seems to be there. I can only imagine that it was temporarily disabled as a result of several bugs that occurred a couple of days ago.

Steffen

JaneTranslates
Puerto Rico
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I hope that's the case. Feb 21, 2006

It seems to be a logical and necessary option, though like most things, it could easily be abused. But that's one of the reasons for Moderators! So, as I try to say often, thank you, Steffen, for what you do.

I'll be watching the next time I post a question. I hope you're right.

Gina W
Gina W
United States
Member (2003)
French to English
I hope so, too Feb 23, 2006

JaneTranslates wrote:

It seems to be a logical and necessary option, though like most things, it could easily be abused. But that's one of the reasons for Moderators! So, as I try to say often, thank you, Steffen, for what you do.

I'll be watching the next time I post a question. I hope you're right.

I agree - I haven't closed a question without grading in months, and I think I may have only done this only a few times ever anyway, but still I don't think the option should disappear altogether.

[Edited at 2006-02-26 20:46]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Unable to close question without grading

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »