Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
same answers at the same time: who should gets the points?
Thread poster: Elizabeth Ardans
Juan Jacob
Juan Jacob  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 18:30
French to Spanish
+ ...
No pets allowed. (Joking) Mar 25, 2006

Well, yes, I see a lot of pets, animals, logos, funny figures (I love the pinguin snaping an other one, and the fat guy dancing!), pictures, photos, etc. around ProZ...
I always wanted to launch a psychological/social/statistical study about it.
Why being a free-lance translator and put the picture of my cat?
No offense, I love animals... and free-lance translators in ProZ.
In that case, same criteria: the cutiest.
Happy W.E.

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
That's OK Mar 25, 2006

Not star quality of course, but you may find me any day of the week as I am seen in my portrait and where it was taken, and you will surely recognize me.

So I feel that at least in that I am honest. Not pretty, but honest. You're all welcome to come and say hello, by the way.

Harry Bornemann
Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
English to German
+ ...
Agree! Mar 25, 2006

Maria Teresa Taylor Oliver wrote:
And the answerers with bunnies or pets in their profile pictures should get extra points!

Ines Garcia Botana
Ines Garcia Botana  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:30
English to Spanish
+ ...
Couldn't agree more! Mar 25, 2006

Henry Hinds wrote:

Not star quality of course, but you may find me any day of the week as I am seen in my portrait and where it was taken, and you will surely recognize me.

So I feel that at least in that I am honest. Not pretty, but honest. You're all welcome to come and say hello, by the way.

I know for sure I will surely recognize you. Pretty and honest! My husband and I are planning a trip to CA by the end of the year, so if you don't mind, I'll be knocking on your door (:-) - and I know the man in the picture will greet me, and not a cat, a dog, a bird or even a funny bear!

Elizabeth wrote:

I still don't understand why some people "agree" to one answer and no the others, or on what basis the asker chooses one over the others. ¿Don't you think it would be more fair to award points to all answers?

It happens to me all the time. Can't understand why. I am not interested in races but in good explanations. Sometimes I give my agree to some identical answers. If I ask a question, normally I would choose the one that obviously best fits my context but also that one that provides me with examples, or also a page in Google where I can find further useful clarification on the point I'm looking for.

Something else I can't understand: if the answer is right, why people don't agree with it on the spot instead of writing very similar answers that make no sense? Are we trying to help or to desperately get more and more points?

Cheers and nice weekend

Inés

[Edited at 2006-03-25 19:54]

Kirill Semenov
Kirill Semenov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 03:30
Member (2004)
English to Russian
+ ...
Most helpful, otherwise: who was first Mar 25, 2006

As far as I remember the general recommendations in the FAQ, when grading the asker is adviced to select the most helpful answer (helpful in her or his subjective point of view), but if in doubt is proposed to grade the answer which came the first (by time mark). I think this is a reasonable and just approach. Also, it's corresponds to the unwritten `code of kudoZ conduct' in many pairs.

María Teresa Taylor Oliver
María Teresa Taylor Oliver  Identity Verified
Panama
Local time: 19:30
Spanish to English
+ ...
Star quality? But of course! Mar 25, 2006

Henry Hinds wrote:

But, sir, you *do* know you have something of a star status, at least in the EN=ES language pair, right?

No, seriously, your expertise is quite renowned.

By the way, will I have a chance to meet you in Argentina this August?

Lucinda Hollenberg
Lucinda Hollenberg  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:30
Dutch to English
+ ...
Beauty is indeed in the eyes of the beholder Mar 25, 2006

Juan, I, on the other hand, would have definitely picked Henry Hinds, such a distinguished face with character.

Jokes aside, I too have struggled with this and do not have a good solution. When all the variables are equal or nearly equal, I also do not know who to award points.

I agree, we should ponder about this some more.

Lucinda

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Removed as per poster's request.
Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

same answers at the same time: who should gets the points?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »