Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
same answers at the same time: who should gets the points?
Thread poster: Elizabeth Ardans

Elizabeth Ardans  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 10:53
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Mar 24, 2006

When answering kudoz questions, sometimes two (or more) translators provide the same answer at the same time (at least there is no time difference shown), but only one gets the points. I think that in this case, all the translators should be awarded the points... I still don't understand why some people "agree" to one answer and no the others, or on what basis the asker chooses one over the others. ¿Don't you think it would be more fair to award points to all answers?

Direct link Reply with quote

Maria Diaconu  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 16:53
English to Romanian
No Mar 24, 2006

I think the one who provided the best/ more useful explanation for the term should get the points.

Johanna Timm, PhD  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 06:53
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
use your discretion Mar 24, 2006

If both answers arrive at the same time, with only one supplying references /explanations, the colleague who took the time to back up his suggestion should get the points. If none of them supply references, I would give the points to the colleague with the lower point total.
cheers,
johanna

Uruguay
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I agree but what if... Mar 24, 2006

Maria Diaconu wrote:

I think the one who provided the best/ more useful explanation for the term should get the points.

I agree with you Maria, but what if there is no difference at all, or the difference is minimal?

Kim Metzger  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 08:53
German to English
Who gets the points Mar 24, 2006

Unfortunately, too many KudoZ contributors see KudoZ as a game and a race. The first one in with a translation that works gets the agrees. But an answer submitted a little later with good references and explanations is the answer that deserves the points.

Romania
English to Romanian
When the difference is minimal Mar 24, 2006

Elizabeth Ardans wrote:

I agree with you Maria, but what if there is no difference at all, or the difference is minimal?

I agree with Johanna here: the colleague with the lower point total. Seems fair to me.

Juan Jacob  Identity Verified
Mexico
French to Spanish
+ ...
When no difference... Mar 24, 2006

...I would choose the cutiest, male or female, if picture available... so, never Henry Hinds! (Hi, Henry!)
Not very objective, I know, but ProZ doesn't offer an other option, so far.

Branka Stankovic McCarthy  Identity Verified
Serbia
Local time: 15:53
English to Serbian
+ ...
giggles Mar 24, 2006

Thank you for making me laugh for the first time today (it's a horrid outside).

I agree that the person that provided a better explanation should get the points.
Wondering if the system would allow awarding points to more then one correct answer.

Juan Jacob wrote:

...I would choose the cutiest, male or female, if picture available... so, never Henry Hinds! (Hi, Henry!)

Romania
English to Romanian
When no difference... Mar 24, 2006

Juan Jacob wrote:

I plead guilty to having done this a few times Hope it isn't against the site rules, though...

Uruguay
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
system Mar 24, 2006

Juan Jacob wrote:

You made me laugh Juan...) anyway, beauty is in the eye of the beholder... or so people say...
I'm not questioning individual decisions, people choose answers for different reasons, but I think the system should allow awarding points to more than one person, in case the asker wants to do so... maybe it could even "group" the same answers provided at the same time as one, or something like that... It's just a suggestion

María Teresa Taylor Oliver  Identity Verified
Panama
English to Spanish
+ ...
Agree 100% Mar 24, 2006

Kim Metzger wrote:

But an answer submitted a little later with good references and explanations is the answer that deserves the points.

After all, the system's purpose is not only the ability to ask for help (issues about "winning" aside), but also to contribute to the large terminology database that is the glossary, from which we all benefit.

In my opinion, a good answer is one that not only provides an accurate translation, but is also well documented and includes a sound terminology basis.

There will always be controversy about the grading system, and I'm afraid there will never be a method that satisfies everyone...

P.S.: I apologize for my grammar, I'm tired

[Edited at 2006-03-24 19:57]

One more thing:

I frequently use the open glossary. And I NEVER take an entry at face value. I open the related KudoZ question and read through ALL the answers, and I confess I sometimes even ignore those answers that are full of nothing more than Google hits as reference (yes, I know, that is another issue, the Google hits ), even if it was the chosen answer. I value those answerers who took the time to research. Many times I've found what I needed, just by reading through all the "discarded" answers (the ones that were not chosen).

My point is that choosing the wrong (or not entirely right) answer detracts from the quality of the KOG.

[Edited at 2006-03-24 20:11]

Panama
English to Spanish
+ ...
Indeed! Mar 24, 2006

Juan Jacob wrote:

And the answerers with bunnies or pets in their profile pictures should get extra points!

Rachel Vanarsdall  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:53
Member (2004)
French to English
Absolutely! Mar 24, 2006

Maria Teresa Taylor Oliver wrote:

Juan Jacob wrote:

And the answerers with bunnies or pets in their profile pictures should get extra points!

Yes, absolutely!!

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Removed as per poster's request.

Panama
English to Spanish
+ ...
Ohhhh Mar 25, 2006

Karolis Butkevicius wrote:

But the cuteness principle is of course more worldly... And what do I get for having a lion in my profile?;)

Is that Aslan?

You get a dozen homemade chocolate chip cookies from me!!!

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

same answers at the same time: who should gets the points?

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search