Sormane Fitzgerald Gomes  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:11
Member (2004)
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Jun 7, 2006

Happy anniversary!

I just want to take this opportunity to wish a Happy Anniversary to someone who’s been asking about 5 questions a day for way over a year now on the same topic and on what seems to be the same translation.

Now, bear in mind that this person is not a platinum member and has answered fewer than 5 questions in this time period.

I find that amazing. You give nothing and take away the best we have to offer.

Of course that person is in his/her “right” as per current KudoZ rules and regulations, but I don't know, in my opinion there’s something wrong about this.

And he/she is not alone on this. There are several others. For example, there’s somebody else who has asked over 3,000 questions. And trust me, any pocket dictionary could’ve answered half of those questions.

I would like to know how others feel about this. Thanks.

Sormane F. Gomes

Direct link Reply with quote

xxxIanW
Local time: 05:11
German to English
+ ...
My sentiments exactly Jun 7, 2006

Hi Sormane,

Yes, I feel exactly the same way as you. Unfortunately, as the rules allow this - and I have a sneaking suspicion that the powers that be prefer it this way - the best you can do is filter out these people in your settings. It doesn't solve the problem, but at least it'll keep your blood pressure at a healthy level.

How about making it compulsory for askers to contribute to other people's questions. Or have a "stop-wasting-our-time-and-buy-a-pocket-dictionary button"?

All the best

Ian

Lawyer-Linguist  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 04:11
Dutch to English
+ ...
Ditto ....... Jun 7, 2006

In a nutshell - sick of it.

D

Nadia-Anastasia Fahmi  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 06:11
English to Greek
+ ...
Infuriating... Jun 7, 2006

Luckily, we only have one such person in my language combination. but, it's enough to drive you crazy.I now rarely answer his/her questions.

I cannot waste my time on leeches!!

Marsel de Souza  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 02:11
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Indeed Jun 7, 2006

Sormane,

Your comment couldn't have been more well-timed. People like this forget that our behavior here is a showcase of our professional attitude.

Regards,
Marsel.
Brasilia, Brazil

xxxIanW
German to English
+ ...
Send a message Jun 7, 2006

Hi Sormane,

How about sending the person in question a mail with a link to this posting? Just a link, nothing else. And, of course, the rest of us could send links to similar offenders.

All the best

Ian

Timothy Barton
Local time: 06:11
French to English
+ ...
Name an shame Jun 7, 2006

We can't give an opinion if we don't say who it is.

xxxLia Fail  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
agree Jun 7, 2006

Sormane Fitzgerald Gomes wrote:

Happy anniversary!

I just want to take this opportunity to wish a Happy Anniversary to someone who’s been asking about 5 questions a day for way over a year now on the same topic and on what seems to be the same translation.

Now, bear in mind that this person is not a platinum member and has answered fewer than 5 questions in this time period.

I find that amazing. You give nothing and take away the best we have to offer.

Of course that person is in his/her “right” as per current KudoZ rules and regulations, but I don't know, in my opinion there’s something wrong about this.

And he/she is not alone on this. There are several others. For example, there’s somebody else who has asked over 3,000 questions. And trust me, any pocket dictionary could’ve answered half of those questions.

I would like to know how others feel about this. Thanks.

Sormane F. Gomes

I wonder if it's the same person that I've noticed that asks tons of questions and contributes very little in return.

If not him, well, someone else who bleeds the site for all its worth and returns nothing. What's more the difficulty of the questions would indicate that this person - referring to teh one I can't help but notice - is taking answerers for a ride, as he couldn't be assed to get his pocket dictionary out ....it's easier to get chunks translated in Proz.

One possible approach to solving this problem is for the proportion of questions asked to questions answered to be made very visible when someone posts a question (at present you have to click on the person's name, and you get raw numbers, not proportions).

Even if it doesn't act as a deterrent to points grabbers, it might make questioners with even the slightest sense of shame feel a little bit more exposed and uncomfortable.

For all Ian says to exclude these people from one's life at ProZ, it doesn't change the fact that one feels impotent when one sees how some people barefacedly ask so much and give so little....

[Edited at 2006-06-07 13:36]

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
that's why... Jun 7, 2006

in the past I suggested that only people with a certain ratio of asked/answered questions would be elegible to ask questions. For example, you need to have answered 10 questions before you can ask five... I'll leave the calculation of the percentage to you...

Giovanni

Aurora Humarán  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 01:11
English to Spanish
+ ...
But Jun 7, 2006

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL wrote:

in the past I suggested that only people with a certain ratio of asked/answered questions would be elegible to ask questions. For example, you need to have answered 10 questions before you can ask five... I'll leave the calculation of the percentage to you...

Giovanni

Buen morning!

I agree with most of your comments and those of the colleagues above. However, I would like to point out two things.

I have asked 1,000 questions in my 6 years in the site. Most of them have to do with the fact that part of my translations are press releases. I am used to going to the KudoZ arena where I usually get a lot (and good) help. (In these translations, I have no time for investigation, and, sometimes I have very quick questions that have to do with Hispanic Spanish and there are several proZians who help me a lot with that. Sometimes not even the Internet/books/dictionaries + time would help more than they do.)

Also, I haven't answered KudoZ questions for a long time, so my ratio would suggest some sort of punishment However, whenever somebody asks for help in the Spanish Forum I offer my help (never ever on technological matters ).

This is a community and we have to take into account other important factors. This is my modest opinion.

Hugs from Buenos Aires, Giovanni!

Au

Trans-Marie
English to German
+ ...
It's the quality that counts Jun 7, 2006

Kudoz is a great resource for translators. If you require people to answer 5 questions in return for asking 10 (just as an example), then I don't think this will improve the quality of the glossaries.

If somebody asks 3000 questions that could have easily been answered by consulting a dictionary, I don't see why it is desirable to force the very same person to answer questions. I don't think this could improve the quality of Kudoz.

Walter Landesman  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
To LegalText Jun 7, 2006

LegalTrans_ wrote:

Kudoz is a great resource for translators. If you require people to answer 5 questions in return for asking 10 (just as an example), then I don't think this will improve the quality of the glossaries.

If somebody asks 3000 questions that could have easily been answered by consulting a dictionary, I don't see why it is desirable to force the very same person to answer questions. I don't think this could improve the quality of Kudoz.

Good point. That is not the way to stop abusers.

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2010-02-27 18:35 GMT]

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
contributing to the site Jun 7, 2006

Walter Landesman wrote:

Good point. That is not the way to stop abusers.

maybe, but I would feel a lot better knowing that these people are giving something back instead of grabbing all the time.

BTW, if you have 3000 points, obviously you've answered lots of questions and you won't need to answer 10 to be able to ask five. I was talking about a ratio or percentage. Also, I would propose that the answers get at least one agree before they can be considered towards the number of questions answered.

Giovanni

Walter Landesman  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
To Ian Jun 7, 2006

Ian Winick wrote:

Hi Sormane,

How about sending the person in question a mail with a link to this posting? Just a link, nothing else. And, of course, the rest of us could send links to similar offenders.

All the best

Ian

I think things are much worse than that. People that have asked dozens and dozens of questions, receiveng many answers, but not closing or grading any of them.

In many cases I used the "ask the asker" feature for this reason. Many times askers are not even registered so we don`t even have an email address. Some askers replied, apologized and closed the questions. Most of them did not.
I asked about all this in forums and emails to moderators. Many concerns, no proper answer. One moderator told me to place a support ticket (?!) .

Well, that is how thing are. I am not comparing AU to this person. What Ian states, I think, is the general attitude of abuse of the system.

To sum up, Ian, I think you may send and email to the asker. It`s your right.

Walter

texjax DDS PhD  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:11
Member (2006)
English to Italian
+ ...
a toast for you Jun 7, 2006

Sormane Fitzgerald Gomes wrote:

Happy anniversary!

Dear Sormane,
if you are thinking to raise some money and pass the hat...so you can buy a nice Anniversary present (read: dictionary, paperback edition) to your "friend", please count me in.

I have a soft heart...

ciao

Tex

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Happy Anniversary!

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search