I can't close and grade old Kudoz
Thread poster: Kimmy
Kimmy
Kimmy
Local time: 07:56
Italian to English
+ ...
Jun 11, 2006

I have been very busy and admittedly I have not closed and graded a number of questions. Tonight I had a minute and I went through but they are mostly tagged that there were no sutiable responses and to not e-mail me to remind me to close!!! When I try to close them nothing happens! What's this about? I have done no such thing willingly and now I would like to thank my colleagues for invaluable help they have given me over the past weeks!

Özden Arıkan
Özden Arıkan  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 23:56
English to Turkish
+ ...
Askers must close questions Jun 11, 2006

Hello Kimmy,

Please check the relevant Kudoz rule.

If you have any difficulty, please contact me via my profile page and I'll try to help you.

Best regards,
Özden

P.S. Also, I have moved your posting to the Kudoz forum, since it is the forum for discussions relat
... See more
Hello Kimmy,

Please check the relevant Kudoz rule.

If you have any difficulty, please contact me via my profile page and I'll try to help you.

Best regards,
Özden

P.S. Also, I have moved your posting to the Kudoz forum, since it is the forum for discussions related to the Kudoz feature.

[Edited at 2006-06-11 13:35]
Collapse

Kimmy
Kimmy
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I know I have to close qusetions Jun 11, 2006

I always have! But this seems a little extreme! It has only been a week or two for most of them!

I'll contact you....

Kim

Özden Arıkan
Özden Arıkan  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 23:56
English to Turkish
+ ...
Not extreme Jun 11, 2006

Sorry, Kimmy, but you have 44 open questions, some dating back to 2005

Walter Landesman
Walter Landesman  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 18:56
English to Spanish
+ ...
closing old questions Jun 11, 2006

Hi Kimmy,

It`s a good thing to close one own`s questions, state the answer chosen and thank the colleagues that invested time in answering and maybe doing some research for you. "Being busy" is not an excuse for questions dating back to March 2005.

When you don`t close the questions, there is always a chance the Robot will. However, I noticed that these open questions do not have enough agrees for Mr. Robot to act. Since they are still open, we all have the chance t
... See more
Hi Kimmy,

It`s a good thing to close one own`s questions, state the answer chosen and thank the colleagues that invested time in answering and maybe doing some research for you. "Being busy" is not an excuse for questions dating back to March 2005.

When you don`t close the questions, there is always a chance the Robot will. However, I noticed that these open questions do not have enough agrees for Mr. Robot to act. Since they are still open, we all have the chance to agree/disagree or give new answers yet. And you still have the chance to close/grade them.

If you think you can`t do it for some technical reason, I suggest you contact the moderator on that language pair or place a Support Ticket (or both).

Good luck.

Walter

PS:
recommended article »Closing old Kudoz questions
http://www.proz.com/translation-articles/articles/589/1/Closing-old-Kudoz-questions
recommended forum KudoZ: Helping Mr. Robot. http://www.proz.com/topic/40152
Collapse

Kimmy
Kimmy
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I do appreciate that Jun 12, 2006

and I do it "semi" religiously1 The mass of open questions were ones I thought I had closed in the past as "Answer found elsewhere".....I would have closed these in the old format when you had to hit "Grade" and then I refused the anwers gievn! To me, that was closing them! Obviously this was not the case! In fact, if you look at them theya ll have comments from me stating this but for some reason they remainded open! The others were all questions that no-one had answered!

There are
... See more
and I do it "semi" religiously1 The mass of open questions were ones I thought I had closed in the past as "Answer found elsewhere".....I would have closed these in the old format when you had to hit "Grade" and then I refused the anwers gievn! To me, that was closing them! Obviously this was not the case! In fact, if you look at them theya ll have comments from me stating this but for some reason they remainded open! The others were all questions that no-one had answered!

There are three from last year and thereabouts but I apart from the more recent ones I am free of "guilt"

Thanks for explaining the new method - I seriusly have not seen this before! Now I have gone back and closed all those bogus ones and will look into the others too!

Kim
Collapse

Yolanda Broad
Yolanda Broad  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:56
Member (2000)
French to English
+ ...

Closing KudoZ is not the same as declining answers Jun 12, 2006

Declining answers, even all the answers to a KudoZ question, does not close the KudoZ. That is, and always has been, a separate function.

Reason? An asker could still be looking for the right answer, particularly if none of the answers provided were satisfactory.

The "decline" feature is now, of course, defunct. It was removed in large part because it was being used in mistaken attempts to close open KudoZ, or, simply, because many askers believed that they should
... See more
Declining answers, even all the answers to a KudoZ question, does not close the KudoZ. That is, and always has been, a separate function.

Reason? An asker could still be looking for the right answer, particularly if none of the answers provided were satisfactory.

The "decline" feature is now, of course, defunct. It was removed in large part because it was being used in mistaken attempts to close open KudoZ, or, simply, because many askers believed that they should decline any answer beside the one they were selecting as the "winner." This was creating a lot of hard feelings on the part of many answerers who had gone to a lot of trouble to find those declined answers. And, of course, an answer that is not useful to a particular asker is not necessarily an incorrect answer in many other translations of similar material.
Collapse

Kimmy
Kimmy
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I have learnt something new.. Jun 12, 2006

and here I was thinking I was doing the right thing! Thanks so much for clearing that up for me! I really appreciate it!

Ciao!

Kim

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

I can't close and grade old Kudoz

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »