Why do askers get points for putting answers in the glossary?
Thread poster: perfecta
perfecta
perfecta
United States
Local time: 05:17
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jun 15, 2006

Earlier today, I answered two translation questions for someone who then entered my answers into the glossary and got ten points for each entry.
This seems wrong to me.
The person asking did not know how to translate the terms, but now appears to anyone consulting the glossary to have an expertise in that field.

Dunia Cusin

Margaryta Maksimtseva
Margaryta Maksimtseva  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:17
Spanish to Russian
+ ...
Agree Jun 15, 2006

I also think that´s strange. Nothing else to add

Daniela Zambrini
Daniela Zambrini  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
browniz points not kudoz Jun 15, 2006

Hi Perfecta,
the point assigned are BrowniZ, not KudoZ.

BrowniZ are related to your activity in the Proz.com community (giving agrees or disagrees or posting new glossaries in Glosspost or organisinig powwows, for example).

Ciao, Daniela

Rosa Maria Duenas Rios (X)
Rosa Maria Duenas Rios (X)  Identity Verified
Brownies, not points, for including answers in the glossaries Jun 15, 2006

Hi perfecta,

If you read the rules, you will see that people get brownies (not points) for including anwers in the glossaries. The way Kudoz are set to function, it is the prerrogative of the asker to include the answer chosen in the glossary. If the asker declines to do so, then the only other person who can enter the term in the glossary is the one who suggested the chosen answer.

When you consult the glossaries, I am not sure it can be seen who entered the term in
... See more
Hi perfecta,

If you read the rules, you will see that people get brownies (not points) for including anwers in the glossaries. The way Kudoz are set to function, it is the prerrogative of the asker to include the answer chosen in the glossary. If the asker declines to do so, then the only other person who can enter the term in the glossary is the one who suggested the chosen answer.

When you consult the glossaries, I am not sure it can be seen who entered the term in the glossaries. In any case, it can only be one of two persons: The asker, or the one whose answer was chosen.

Knowing the rules, it would never occur to me to think that the asker has an expertise in the field just because he/she entered the term in the glossary. Hope this clarification helps you!

[Edited at 2006-06-15 20:11]
Collapse

Marianela Melleda
Marianela Melleda  Identity Verified
Chile
English to Spanish
+ ...
It is a question of politeness Jun 15, 2006

In my humble opinion, it is a question of politeness.

What I usually do when I award points to an answer given to a Kudoz question I asked, I do not enter the term in the open glossary so that the person who answered does it, so that she/he obtains the browniz points.

Marianela

Dunia Cusin

Alban Fenle
Alban Fenle
Germany
English to German
Incentive to guarantee effectivity? Jun 16, 2006

Maybe the whole thing about browniz points is about getting the solutions into the glossaries. So, if the answerer is not doing it, the asker should do it. I agree however regarding the idea of politeness.
Thanks,
A.

Gina W
Gina W
United States
Member (2003)
French to English
I don't see what's wrong with it Jun 16, 2006

So what if the person "didn't know" the term beforehand? We don't necessarily know how sure or unsure the asker was of the potential answer(s) anyway. It could have just been to reconfirm what the person thought was the translation in the first place. Or even if the person did not know the term at all, so what? The whole reason that the term is a permanent part of KudoZ - and the glossary - NOW, is because the person asked the question. Would the answerer have on his/her own put that term i... See more
So what if the person "didn't know" the term beforehand? We don't necessarily know how sure or unsure the asker was of the potential answer(s) anyway. It could have just been to reconfirm what the person thought was the translation in the first place. Or even if the person did not know the term at all, so what? The whole reason that the term is a permanent part of KudoZ - and the glossary - NOW, is because the person asked the question. Would the answerer have on his/her own put that term in his/her glossary? That's certainly possible, but not probable. Now, thanks to the asker, the term exists forever, for anyone to search for it, using the ProZ.com Term Search. Plus, the answerer gets the REAL points, the person putting the entry into the glossary just gets BrowniZ. So I don't see what the big deal is, or what is even wrong with an asker getting these few little points.

[Edited at 2006-06-16 03:10]
Collapse

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
English to French
+ ...
Simple reasoning Jun 16, 2006

I find that the merit goes to whoever found the translation ultimately used: the answerer.

I find it strange that the person who made the effort of finding the right term doesn't get recognition other than the points, whicle the person who didn't find the right term gets the credit for it. Beats me!

I always let the answerer enter their term in the glossary and only enter them myself if the answerer does not do it within about a week. I would feel bad for taking their
... See more
I find that the merit goes to whoever found the translation ultimately used: the answerer.

I find it strange that the person who made the effort of finding the right term doesn't get recognition other than the points, whicle the person who didn't find the right term gets the credit for it. Beats me!

I always let the answerer enter their term in the glossary and only enter them myself if the answerer does not do it within about a week. I would feel bad for taking their term, especially since the name of the person entering it will show next to the entry. It comes down to signing material that doesn't belong to you, so I never do it.
Collapse

Dunia Cusin

craigs
craigs
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Are BrowniZ so hard to get? Jun 16, 2006

I mean, how many do you use? I suppose it depends on each individual. If it were KudoZ awarded, that would be another story.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Why do askers get points for putting answers in the glossary?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »