Limit number of KudoZ questions?
Thread poster: Ineke Hardy

Ineke Hardy
Netherlands
Local time: 21:10
Afrikaans to English
+ ...
Jul 27, 2006

I have been following KudoZ traffic for the last week and it strikes me how many questions are asked by the same person each day (often platinum members). One gets the clear impression that some of them accept asignments based on the belief that the rest of us will do the research. Why not limit the number of questions each member can ask in a given week, say, to avoid this kind of situation?

Direct link Reply with quote

Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

The limits do exist Jul 27, 2006

Hi Ineke,

The limits exist; you may see them when you click the 'ask question' in the upper menu:

In response to requests from members, ProZ.com has introduced limits on the number of KudoZ questions an asker may submit in a 24-hour period. The number of questions that can be asked each 24 hours depends on the asker's membership level:

- Non-registered site users: 1
- Registered users: 5, up to 20 per week
- ProZ.com members: 15, up to 60 per week

In addition, askers with more than 10 questions that have been open for more than a week are asked to close their questions before asking new ones.

Ulrike Kraemer
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Does it work? Jul 27, 2006

Natalie wrote:

Hi Ineke,

The limits exist; you may see them when you click the 'ask question' in the upper menu:

In response to requests from members, ProZ.com has introduced limits on the number of KudoZ questions an asker may submit in a 24-hour period. The number of questions that can be asked each 24 hours depends on the asker's membership level:

In addition, askers with more than 10 questions that have been open for more than a week are asked to close their questions before asking new ones.

But does it work? I came across an asker the other day who had as many as 49 (!) questions open. I didn't check, however, whether they were open for more than a week or not.

The rule states that askers with more than 10 questions that have been open for more than a week *are asked* to close their questions before asking new ones. The question is: Can they still post new questions regardless of whether they have closed the old ones or not?

Nadia-Anastasia Fahmi  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 22:10
English to Greek
+ ...
Ouchs... Jul 27, 2006

[quote]Natalie wrote:

Hi Ineke,

Well, the problem lies here "Registered users: 5, up to 20 per week" and mainly "ProZ.com members: 15, up to 60 per week".

If a "professional" translator needs to ask "15 - 60 questions" per week... then I am sorry, but they accept jobs for which they are not qualified.

This has been a sore point with many of us in any language combination (I believe).

Anyway, since the rules allow it, we have to live with it and either provide help without complaining or just ignore such "askers". The system allows us questions from persons who make it a habit to "abuse" this permissiveness, I am sorry to say.

Nadia

Ineke Hardy
Netherlands
Afrikaans to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Limits Jul 27, 2006

I totally agree with Nadia. But I also get the strong impression that certain Platinum members cannot be bothered to spend the time to do their own research. If I can find an answer to a question in a field I know nothing about by doing a 10 minute Google search, what does that say about the asker? In my opinion, the question of reasonable limits to be imposed needs to be revisited by the Proz.com powers that be.

Joanna Borowska  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
Grrr.... Jul 27, 2006

LittleBalu wrote:

But does it work? I came across an asker the other day who had as many as 49 (!) questions open.

Yes, that happened to me, too. Several times I came across questions from askers who had over 20 of them already open and were still able to ask new ones. So I'm not sure if the system is working properly...

[Edited at 2006-07-27 18:53]

Enrique
Local time: 16:10
SITE STAFF
Limit on open question is working Jul 27, 2006

The limit on open questions was not working. I opened a ticket some time ago and it got solved. There may be profiles with many open questions, but nobody should be able to post new questions if (s)he has 10 or more questions open (with at least an answer) older than a week.

I am testing the weekly limit, this takes some time to do, in fact a week

Regards,
Enrique

Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:10
French to English
A poll question? Jul 27, 2006

Nadia Fahmi wrote:

If a "professional" translator needs to ask "15 - 60 questions" per week... then I am sorry, but they accept jobs for which they are not qualified.
Nadia

That'll be one nail hit squarely, succintly and firmly on the head. Nice one.

Since this has sparked the Mods interest, and since there seems to be a fair bit of interest on the subject of the quality of kudoz in general, and since I believe that it was stated that the limits would be reviewed after they had been operational for a while (as they now have), perhaps now would be a good time to run a poll on what people think would be fair limits.

I would suggest that the maximum possible answer be 15 / 60.
I would also suggest that we make sure there is an "I don't do kudoz" option along with an "I don't mind" option.

Three further suggestions for this poll:
1. Run it for 2 days, and not over a weekend
2. Post a brief explanation of why the poll is being run on the "discussion" page.
3. Lock the poll thread immediately to prevent yet another discussion on the subject - if people wanna talk about it, let 'em post here

Cilian O'Tuama  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
5 per week Jul 28, 2006

Charlie Bavington wrote:

... perhaps now would be a good time to run a poll on what people think would be fair limits.

I would suggest that the maximum possible answer be 15 / 60...

Well, I think 5 a week (for everyone, platinums included) is more than enough. But you'd definitely need to leave some leeway for "emergencies".

--
A few years ago, I thought there was a lovely sense of community in DE - ENG - DE (carried over still in some proz sub-communities and at some powwows), where sharing knowledge/experience/humour was the objective, and where basically anyone was welcome (until proven guilty). There were great arguments and bickerings (sometimes resolved or laughed about by both sides at later powwows), but it worked because people were "communicating" with each other there. Infrequent askers would excuse themselves in advance (i.e. in their first question) that they were about to post a longish series of questions, apologising for any inconvenience and explaining the circumstances. They were as eagerly helped as anyone else, maybe even more so, because the answerers junderstood their predicament.

Now, empty profiles ask 15 questions without as much as a "hello", "thanks" etc.

Nostalgia ain't what it used to be.
--
But aside from all that, 5 should still be enough.

Nadia

edited DE ENG
didn't work: DE - ENG - DE

[Edited at 2006-07-28 01:55]

[Edited at 2006-07-28 01:56]

[Edited at 2006-07-28 01:57]

Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
I agree that the limits are too high - Jul 28, 2006

- but I imagine that the reason for the ridiculously high number of questions permitted for paying members is simply because they do pay, and some of them may be paying for that very reason.

But I would certainly be in favour of reducing the limits, and
I couldn't agree more that anyone needing to ask that many questions can't legitimately call themselves a professional. Kudoz questions should be the last resort when all else has failed, not the first port of call as they so often seem to be.

[Edited at 2006-07-28 12:03]

Enrique
Local time: 16:10
SITE STAFF
Daily poll Jul 28, 2006

When we created weekly limit to the amount of KudoZ questions that can be asked (on top of the daily ones), we (staff) decided to select initial values of 60 for members and 20 for non-members, to be reviewed after the system was in use for some time.

We think now that these weekly limits could be lowered to 45 for members and 15 for non-members (from 4 days to 3 days at the top of the daily limits).

Before deciding for or against this modification we would like to learn what our community feels about it.

I have therefore created a daily poll on this issue.

Please note that we are concentrating only on two alternatives, the current 60/20 and the lower 45/15 ones.

Regards,
Enrique Cavalitto

Luisa Ramos, CT  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:10
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
Limits are not the problem Jul 28, 2006

Actually, as Ineke and Nadia tell us, the problem is translators that do not bother with research, —not even within the Kudoz glossaries, mind you!, and those who accept jobs for which they are not qualified, or even translators that are not qualified at all. Sometimes, I find questions and wonder why are they asking such silly, easy terms?
Lately, if I decide to collaborate and find the term in the Kudoz glossaries, I write a note to the asker informing her that the term is already in the glossaries, and let her find it! In some cases, some people have become so abusive that I simply refuse to help.

Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:10
French to English
Thanks Enrique Jul 28, 2006

I doubt that I was the only person in the world to think of having a poll on this issue, but thanks for taking up the idea, at least in part. Even if you are running it at the weekend

Luisa Ramos wrote:

Actually, as Ineke and Nadia tell us, the problem is translators that do not bother with research...

...which is what annoys a number of people. With luck, if people realise that they cannot post questions ad infinitum, and that they need to carefully select the Qs they post, they will start to do the research themselves.

Ineke Hardy
Netherlands
Afrikaans to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Charge BrowniZ? Jul 28, 2006

Actually, as Ineke and Nadia tell us, the problem is translators that do not bother with research...

To encourage a little more give and take and motivate the lazy ones, why not impose limits on free questions (p.e. 1 a day for Platinum, 1 a week for the rest of us) and allow for unlimited questions against payment of browniz?

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Limit number of KudoZ questions?

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search