Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Can proz.com achievements(mainly Kudoz) be used as a reference in non -virtual translation industry?
Thread poster: xxxsavaria
xxxsavaria
Hungary
Local time: 23:28
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Jul 29, 2006

Can proz.com achievements(mainly Kudoz) be used as a reference in non -virtual translation industry?In other words:: How much can it be used in case of the non-virtual, real,every-day translation tasks given by flesh and blood outsorcerers/employers.
Does it worth to menttion it as one item in a cv ,if not,will the site ever achieve such a huge fame that once it will be a reality or will it remain a virtual thing forever ?

I do really expect the opinion of those who are a bit more experts in the prestige level of the site in the "outside",non-virtual world...

Direct link Reply with quote

Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
Don't expect anything from points... Jul 29, 2006

Hi Gabor,
to my knowledge, outsourcers don't care at all about KudoZ points and noone is overwhelmed with requests only because she/he has a lot of KudoZ. Outsourcers are looking for specific languages/specialties and that's it. KudoZ is nothing more than a game: you feel challenged, you want to find an answer and maybe you manage (and your answer is choosen or maybe not...), but outside ProZ your points are completely worthless.

At the most, you can earn the esteem of your fellow translators giving pertinent and well researched answers in your language pairs.

Dyran Altenburg  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:28
English to Spanish
+ ...
Not really Jul 29, 2006

Gábor Széles wrote:
Can proz.com achievements(mainly Kudoz) be used as a reference in non -virtual translation industry?In other words:: How much can it be used in case of the non-virtual, real,every-day translation tasks given by flesh and blood outsorcerers/employers.

Well, FMPOV, mentioning ProZ in your CV , or more specifically KudoZ, would be like mentioning that you participate in one of the many forums for translators where you can get/give help for terminology questions. Kind of ho-hum, really.

But who knows? Maybe when the rubbish gets scraped out of the KOG, participation in KudoZ will be something to brag about.

--
Dyran
(user #421)

PS: My clients either don't know about ProZ/KudoZ, or don't find them relevant.

[Edited at 2006-07-29 19:03]

Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
the value is to be found inside Jul 29, 2006

the prestige level of the site in the "outside",non-virtual world

The site has so far been translator-heavy, but the agencies will start to appreciate it more.

So, no, outside ProZ it does not ring any bells (or not much), but within ie only here), it has its weight.

Orla Ryan  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 22:28
general Jul 29, 2006

Maybe you could say something like "I am an active member of the X forum of www.proz.com" - feel free to rephrase this as you wish

Lucinda  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:28
Member (2002)
Dutch to English
+ ...
I am not sure that it does. Jul 29, 2006

However, it is a pleasant challenge and I often get so hooked, not only participating but reading through them as well.

But from the standpoint of clients, I am not sure that they take it as a strong point. In fact, let me tell you about a remark that a client of mine made. "If they have so many points, how in the world do they have time to work, to pay attention to my job." So, it may even be seen as counter productive.

Have a great weekend.
Lucinda

xxxsavaria
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
interesting Jul 29, 2006

Lucinda Hollenberg wrote:

However, it is a pleasant challenge and I often get so hooked, not only participating but reading through them as well.

But from the standpoint of clients, I am not sure that they take it as a strong point. In fact, let me tell you about a remark that a client of mine made. "If they have so many points, how in the world do they have time to work, to pay attention to my job." So, it may even be seen as counter productive.

Have a great weekend.
Lucinda

All you have written is for me a very interesting way of approaching the question,and they all might be true.

Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:28
English to Spanish
+ ...
Counterproductive? Jul 29, 2006

Sometimes I get the sneaky suspicion that we may be shooting ourselves in the back.

Best to say "I just graduated and live in [insert the name of one of the poorest third-world countries] and have 8 points on the board. Even better if you say it in fractured English.

That'll get you work.

Daniela Zambrini  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2005)
English to Italian
+ ...
?? Jul 29, 2006

Henry Hinds wrote:

Sometimes I get the sneaky suspicion that we may be shooting ourselves in the back.

Best to say "I just graduated and live in [insert the name of one of the poorest third-world countries] and have 8 points on the board. Even better if you say it in fractured English.

That'll get you work.

Henry, I don't really understand your answer to Gabor's question.
Could you explain?

United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
Sure Jul 29, 2006

Can proz.com achievements (mainly Kudoz) be used as a reference in non-virtual translation industry?

Sure they can be used, but maybe they are not worth much in any part of the translation industry.

HarryHedgehog
Germany
German to English
Puh-leeze! Jul 29, 2006

Gábor Széles wrote:

Can proz.com achievements (mainly Kudoz) be used as a reference in non-virtual translation industry?

Come on, Gábor, are you kidding? Would you put membership of your World of Warcraft guild on your résumé? Or the number of online backgammon games you have won? Or your virtual golf handicap? KudoZ is just a game, and one that can be manipulated easily. The numerous shortcomings in the KOG (and the attempt to get "volunteers" to clean it up in Wikiwords) are testament to its failures.

I'm not sure any of my customers are even aware that ProZ.com exists, much less care about KudoZ points - but I'm sure that Lucinda's point (how can they find time to look after my translation if they're chasing points here 18 hours a day) is valid.

Therefore, IMHO, it would be utterly ridiculous to put your KudoZ score on your résumé. If you do so, you might as well post the score of the online IQ test you took, and be sure to list your eBay feedback score as well.

Yours,
HH

xxxsavaria
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I don't understand what Henry means Jul 29, 2006

Daniela Zambrini wrote:

Henry Hinds wrote:

That'll get you work.

Henry, I don't really understand your answer to Gabor's question.
Could you explain?

I do not really understand Henry either.In fact,I do not understand what he means at all...

Kim Metzger  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 16:28
German to English
KudoZ achievements Jul 29, 2006

Gábor Széles wrote:

Can proz.com achievements(mainly Kudoz) be used as a reference in non -virtual translation industry?

Does it worth to menttion it as one item in a cv ,if not,will the site ever achieve such a huge fame that once it will be a reality or will it remain a virtual thing forever ?

Hi Gabor, if you decide to mention your KudoZ achievements in a CV, I suppose you would want to add a link to your record. Under KudoZ activity in your profile, you'll see the number of questions you've answered and the number of points you have earned. You can also go to your stats page (visible only to you) to find your acceptance rate.

Best, Kim

United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
I hear you... Jul 29, 2006

Of course, Daniela and Gábor, since we don't interact here due to different languages, you probably can't relate to it because you need more CONTEXT (my favorite word).

But this:

Sure they can be used, but maybe they are not worth much in any part of the translation industry.

Should not be any trouble to understand.

Plus, a lot of those "agencies" out there are looking for the cheapest price and then some of them still fail to pay. They care not for quality, and perhaps to emphasize it could mean "too expensive", "muy caro", "trop cher", etc.

[Edited at 2006-07-29 22:22]

Dyran Altenburg  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:28
English to Spanish
+ ...
WoW thing Jul 29, 2006

HarryHedgehog wrote:
Come on, Gábor, are you kidding? Would you put membership of your World of Warcraft guild on your résumé?

Come to think of it, that might have more weight and be more easily recognized in meatspace than a KudoZ standing.

--
Dyran
(who is swamped with work and hasn't been able to play for the last two months < /cry >)

[Edited at 2006-07-29 23:20]

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search