Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
opinion....another kind of competition.....
Thread poster: emilia manolache
Kim Metzger
Kim Metzger  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 21:49
German to English
Depends on perspective Aug 30, 2006

emilia manolache wrote:

You are right....as a newcomer, one can feel very "attacked"...

They do not encourage you to answer and express opinion and I sometimes thought....they cannot lose faim, money or something important, or no one is stealing anything from them.....I wish they were a bit more....relaxed....ok?

Thank you for giving us some concrete examples, Emilia. With the possible exception of the comment asking you about your qualifications for medical translations, I don't think the comments you cited were examples of sarcasm or abuse of the peer-grading system. In fact I think they were perfectly legitimate and helpful comments – helpful for the asker and helpful for the future entry in the glossary. Peer comments are a vital component of the KudoZ quality control system.
As Enrique said, if you think a peer comment is not strictly of a linguistic nature, you should report the peer to the moderator for the language combination. I don't know the whole background on the medical qualifications issue (and can't read Romanian) – maybe that comment wasn't necessary, but it sounds like the peer was pointing out that medical questions are very sensitive and generally require expertise in the subject area.

No - many peers don't generally "encourage you to answer and express an opinion." When people first start participating in KudoZ they make plenty of mistakes, and it is right to use the "disagree" function to point out these mistakes to help the asker and get the right translation in the glossary. What you perceive as not "relaxed" can well be seen as a professional attitude.

My advice is to document your answers to the best of your ability and stick to fields and language combinations that you have expertise in. Listen to your peers and grow as a translator. We all make more mistakes in the beginning.

emilia manolache
emilia manolache
Local time: 06:49
Romanian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Perspective.... Aug 31, 2006

Agree.
People are different and they normally have different perspectives.
Once again DISAGREE does not offend anyone and is educational. Thank you for your advice and I will try to document my answers better.

Have a great day!

Fan Gao
Fan Gao
Australia
Local time: 13:49
English to Chinese
+ ...
Kudoz for entertainment value.... Aug 31, 2006

Hi Emilia,

Welcome and please do stick around as there are only a few rotten apples in the basket:)

I love Kudoz purely for its sheer entertainment value. Any games that have points up for grabs are a host for an outpouring of bitchiness and razor sharp remarks.

Take this one as an example. I won't mention names of course but it's a classic example of what to expect when you enter the battlefield against the point-whores. (I read that expression in a previo
... See more
Hi Emilia,

Welcome and please do stick around as there are only a few rotten apples in the basket:)

I love Kudoz purely for its sheer entertainment value. Any games that have points up for grabs are a host for an outpouring of bitchiness and razor sharp remarks.

Take this one as an example. I won't mention names of course but it's a classic example of what to expect when you enter the battlefield against the point-whores. (I read that expression in a previous thread and thought it was so apt:))

The answerer in this case basically got it wrong in the comparison of two different job titles and the disagree went as follows:

disagree:"They are not the same thing."

response:"So where's your answer if you can't hold your tongue?"

disagreer's response: "Please note that I agreed with another answer, which is why I did not propose my own. Please be civil."

I thought that was such a classic and funny at first but when you come down to it, it's quite sad really how people take this game so seriously.

Just have fun with it. If you get agrees, win points and your answer is chosen that's great, if you don't, just smile and move on to the next one. Better yet, you'll be so busy with projects that you won't even have time to participate:)

Best wishes,
Mark
Collapse

Nikki Graham
Nikki Graham  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:49
Spanish to English
Kudoz is not a game Aug 31, 2006

Chinese Concept wrote:

I thought that was such a classic and funny at first but when you come down to it, it's quite sad really how people take this game so seriously.

Whilst I sympathise with people who receive nasty comments that are way off mark and totally unjustified and, like all, hope that we can be civil to each other in both KudoZ and the forum, I must say that I do not agree with comments about Kudoz being just a game that we shouldn't take seriously. It is precisely the people who do NOT take Kudoz seriously that are deteriorating the quality of what is actually a WORK tool. When I ask questions, I hope and expect people to take them seriously and to give me their professional opinion when they answer. If that turns out not to be the case, then it is not KudoZ the system that is to blame, but the people taking part, who should, IMHO, refrain from doing so if it is all just one big laugh a minute.

[Edited at 2006-08-31 12:16]

emilia manolache
emilia manolache
Romanian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I couldn't say that better..... Aug 31, 2006

Hi, Mark!

I totally agree with you! So, now let's enjoy this.....!

emilia manolache
emilia manolache
Romanian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Seriously.... Aug 31, 2006

Hello, Nikki!

Regarding the way one should consider KudoZ, AGREE...
Probably Mark wanted to emphasize that people shouldn't be so ....tensed.....I know proffesionals are perfectionist, but they also are humans....and every one of us has an unique way of considering ....the world with good things and bad things...
Mark shared his point of view, you shared your point of view and we all did.......I respect every answer (not that anyone didn't) and I will take from each and
... See more
Hello, Nikki!

Regarding the way one should consider KudoZ, AGREE...
Probably Mark wanted to emphasize that people shouldn't be so ....tensed.....I know proffesionals are perfectionist, but they also are humans....and every one of us has an unique way of considering ....the world with good things and bad things...
Mark shared his point of view, you shared your point of view and we all did.......I respect every answer (not that anyone didn't) and I will take from each and every one what suits my personal way of being best, just like anyone else will....
Thank you and have a great day!
Collapse

Cristiana Coblis
Cristiana Coblis  Identity Verified
Romania
Member (2004)
English to Romanian
+ ...
KudoZ questions and expertise Aug 31, 2006

Kim Metzger wrote:
I don't think the comments you cited were examples of sarcasm or abuse of the peer-grading system. In fact I think they were perfectly legitimate and helpful comments – helpful for the asker and helpful for the future entry in the glossary. Peer comments are a vital component of the KudoZ quality control system.

My advice is to document your answers to the best of your ability and stick to fields and language combinations that you have expertise in. Listen to your peers and grow as a translator. We all make more mistakes in the beginning.

I agree completely with Kim and Nikki's answers. We have to keep in mind that when we ask a KudoZ question, we need a well documented answer. It most certainly is not a joke or a game for the asker. We all know how it is to be a translator working against a deadline, researching for accurate terminology.

I would also recommend to focus on questions within one's fields of expertise. IMHO you are more likely to give prompt and useful answers that will earn you points and respect from peers. Plus, the points in your expertise fields will prove useful in the directory

Maria Diaconu
Maria Diaconu  Identity Verified
Romania
English to Romanian
Disagree vs. neutral Sep 9, 2006

emilia manolache wrote:

When I translate a simple expression and NOT using it in a context, I just write it.....Folic Acid...the equivalent for the german term and someone first sent negative, changed with neutral and said......not with capitals, of course...............

Hello, Emilia, I was the unintentional disagreer about that "Acid Folic". I intended it from the beginning to be a "neutral" comment, but it just happened that I hit the wrong button, by mistake. And of course you saw how quickly I changed the "disagree" to a "neutral", when I realized that it had come out as a disagree, when it was not intended that way. You could have asked me directly, if you had any doubts. A "neutral" is a "neutral", and nothing more. Can you disagree with me that "Acid Folic" should not be written with capitals in Romanian? Would you write it with capitals in a translation of your own? Than why write it like that in a KudoZ answer? In my opinion, capitals ARE important, and as a professional translator you should pay attention to them. Just as important as the suspension points, if I may add...

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

opinion....another kind of competition.....

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »