Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:12
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Nov 14, 2006

We sometimes complain of the chaos that seems to prevail in various areas of Ludoz, and classification of questions appears to be one of the worst areas.

Classification is chosen by the asker. What I would like to suggest is that there be some kind of editing feature introduced so that question classifications can at least be brought closer to reality.

For instance, a question can be classified as "human resources", "IT", "medical", etc. because the text in general refe
... See more
We sometimes complain of the chaos that seems to prevail in various areas of Ludoz, and classification of questions appears to be one of the worst areas.

Classification is chosen by the asker. What I would like to suggest is that there be some kind of editing feature introduced so that question classifications can at least be brought closer to reality.

For instance, a question can be classified as "human resources", "IT", "medical", etc. because the text in general refers to that area, but the term itself, which is the determining factor, can actually be a legal term or anything else.

One I saw recently was classified as medical because it involved a hospital, yet it could be best described as "marketing" because it involved promoting the hospital.

Other terms in a legal text, classified as legal, could actually be "technical", "journalism", "medical" or whatever.

One merely has to examine the questions that are being asked to see that so many are being misclassified in areas that have no relationship.

Yet our answer profiles reflect all these erroneous classifications.

Do the rest of you think it would be useful to introduce some kind of editing feature to try to correct this problem? It seems to be generating gross inaccuracies.
Collapse

Marina Soldati
Marina Soldati  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 22:12
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
I can see an "Edit" button Nov 14, 2006

Hi Henry,

As a matter of fact I can see an "Edit" button below the question, where the Answer, Ask Asker, etc. buttons are.
I can edit language pairs, general field and specific field.
And there´s a message stating that a message will be sent to the moderator with the changes introduced.

I edit the fields of the questions whenever it seems fit.
Isn´t this button available to everybody?

(I apologize for my English)

Regards,... See more
Hi Henry,

As a matter of fact I can see an "Edit" button below the question, where the Answer, Ask Asker, etc. buttons are.
I can edit language pairs, general field and specific field.
And there´s a message stating that a message will be sent to the moderator with the changes introduced.

I edit the fields of the questions whenever it seems fit.
Isn´t this button available to everybody?

(I apologize for my English)

Regards,
Marina
Collapse

Francesca Pesce
Francesca Pesce  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:12
English to Italian
+ ...
You're right!!! Nov 14, 2006

I am often quite bothered with the classification of questions and even posted a forum topic on this in May (it only received one answer, so probably not many other colleagues are disturbed by this).

And now, thanks to Henry's post and to Marina, I find out that it is possible to edit a classification.

Never noticed. Good to know!!!

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:12
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
HELLO! Nov 15, 2006

Thanks, Marina, I just discovered something new. I think I'll try it!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Question Classifications

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »