Suggestion: make "abbreviations/acronyms/symbols" a separate category in 'fields'
Thread poster: writeaway

writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Dec 26, 2006

At present, abbreviations/acronyms/symbols come under 'general, conversation, greetings, letters'. Wouldn't it be better for the KOG if abbreviations/acronyms/symbols were listed as a separate category?

 

RHELLER
United States
Local time: 00:22
French to English
+ ...
great idea! Dec 26, 2006

Being more accurate/precise can only help us in the future!

Happy 2007!


 

Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:22
English to Spanish
+ ...
No separate category Dec 26, 2006

I would think that abbreviations/acronyms/symbols should come under whatever field they are associated with, and the more specific, the better.

With such items a very specific context is usually required because co many of them can mean different things depending on context.


 

Amy Taylor  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:22
Member (2002)
Italian to English
Some sort of change is needed Dec 26, 2006

Perhaps they could still be shown under the appropriate categories, but marked as abbreviations/acronyms. The current search field won't allow a two character search, so someone searching in English isn't able to find "e.g." or "i.e.", for example.

I support the idea!

Amy Taylor


 

Tina Vonhof
Canada
Local time: 00:22
Member (2006)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Agree with Henry Dec 26, 2006

Henry Hinds wrote:

I would think that abbreviations/acronyms/symbols should come under whatever field they are associated with, and the more specific, the better.

With such items a very specific context is usually required because co many of them can mean different things depending on context.


I totally agree with Henry - this makes the most sense and is most likely to result in a helpful answer.


 

Oliver Walter  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:22
Member (2005)
German to English
+ ...
Yes, with 2-character searching Dec 27, 2006

Tina Vonhof wrote:
Henry Hinds wrote:
I would think that abbreviations/acronyms/symbols should come under whatever field they are associated with, and the more specific, the better.

With such items a very specific context is usually required because co many of them can mean different things depending on context.

I totally agree with Henry - this makes the most sense and is most likely to result in a helpful answer.

And Amy's point is important - the need to be able to search for 2-character abbreviations.
Oliver


 

writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
why make things more complicated? posts are often listed under wrong field Dec 27, 2006

Surely the simplest solution would be for 'abbreviations etc.' to be a stand-alone category for every language pair. Context will be clear from the question asked.
It's a dream world to think you can find things by field. Too many posts are listed in the wrong one. For example, someone working on a lease agreement may ask a purely automotive term but will post it under 'legal' since it's a legal doc-even though the term itself has nothing to do with legalese. This sort of thing happens all the time on the sites I participate in. This would mean extra editing chores for editors and Mods.
This is why I think abbreviations should just be a stand-alone category. If one has to check an abbreviation, that would be where to look.
And definitely agree with Amy-the 3 letter limit causes headaches when searching for abbreviations-or words with fewer than 3 letters. icon_smile.gif

[Edited at 2006-12-27 11:41]


 

cmwilliams (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:22
French to English
+ ...
Totally agree Dec 27, 2006

writeaway wrote:

It's a dream world to think you can find things by field. Too many posts are listed in the wrong one. For example, someone working on a lease agreement may ask a purely automotive term but will post it under 'legal' since it's a legal doc-even though the term itself has nothing to do with legalese.


That's why I prefer to use the Proz term search and don't bother with the Glossary. But acronyms and abbreviations are a real problem and don't often come up in searches so I think it would be a good idea to have them as a separate category.


 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Suggestion: make "abbreviations/acronyms/symbols" a separate category in 'fields'

Advanced search






CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search