Good Questions
Thread poster: sarahjeanne
sarahjeanne
Brazil
Local time: 23:10
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Jan 18, 2007

I am extremely curious about the "I think this is a good question" button in Kudoz. Does anyone ever use it? What is the criteria for a "good question?" I pressed it on a question (which I didn't necessarily think was good) just to see what would happen. Nothing happened, the button just disappeared. What happens to the good questions?

Direct link Reply with quote

Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 02:10
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Good question! Jan 18, 2007

I mean your question! I have also asked me many times what this means...
I am curious about other's answers.

Chinoise  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:10
English to Chinese
+ ...
Haha, good question! Jan 18, 2007

I clicked on that button once or twice before, but nothing happened. I also want to know what's supposed to happen if we press that button...

Sarah Johnson wrote:
I pressed it on a question (which I didn't necessarily think was good) just to see what would happen. Nothing happened, the button just disappeared. What happens to the good questions?

[Edited at 2007-01-18 15:57]

Joanna Borowska  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
That's a good question! Jan 18, 2007

I think I read somewhere that a question must be judged "good" by at least three people for the option to work (I'm not sure, though). Personally, I've never seen a question marked "good" and was wondering if anyone uses the button at all (I do for questions that are tricky, funny, for plays on words etc.).

sarahjeanne
Brazil
Local time: 23:10
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
what does it all mean... Jan 18, 2007

Joanna Borowska wrote:

I think I read somewhere that a question must be judged "good" by at least three people for the option to work (I'm not sure, though).

But what happens to the question after it becomes good? A question is non-pro because it is easy to answer and the answers just get "token" points. Do you get something extra for asking a "good" question? Does proz send you a cake or a hundred dollars something? Is it just another useless function of Kudoz like having to identify whether you're answering in American or British English (you can't submit the answer until you specify even though this information NEVER shows up in the answer and is not made available to the asker)? But I digress...

[Edited at 2007-01-18 18:42]

Joanna Borowska  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
The purpose Jan 18, 2007

It is (or rather: it is supposed to be) a way of highlighting the question and drawing other translators' attention to it ("this is an interesting one, check it out, guys"). But it's true that no one really uses it...

see: http://www.proz.com/topic/35732

[Edited at 2007-01-18 19:46]

Cilian O'Tuama  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
Moderator intervention required? Why? Jan 18, 2007

From the wording, I assume this feature is for attracting attention to particularly tricky Qs.

I've tried using it on a few occasions but it's made no immediate difference.

I think I also read somewhere that if three people vote, a moderator is notified who then takes appropriate action (by which time the Q can of course have been closed).

There should really be a clear definition of it somewhere, and if it is not made instantaneous, then I think it can be abolished as it doesn't make any difference to anything. It has no right to exist.

If it is to work, I think the names of those who vote for "good question" must be made visible to all.

Ciao,
C

justin C
United States
Local time: 20:10
English
Gathering data for new features in the future Jan 18, 2007

Hi all!

From the wording, I assume this feature is for attracting attention to particularly tricky Qs.

Bingo, that's it! We have not decided on the best way to attract attention to these questions though, and have not developed any features that use the 'Good one!' (as I'm calling it) feature.

Perhaps somewhere on the KudoZ list page, we show a list of questions recently voted on by ProZ.com users as 'good ones'.

Any suggestions are welcome! Feel free to post any ideas you might have about how this feature could be used throughout KudoZ.

Best regards,
Justin

Textklick  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:10
German to English
+ ...
It doesn't make a difference to anything Jan 18, 2007

Cilian O'Tuama wrote:

There should really be a clear definition of it somewhere, and if it is not made instantaneous, then I think it can be abolished as it doesn't make any difference to anything. It has no right to exist.

If it is to work, I think the names of those who vote for "good question" must be made visible to all.

Ciao,
C

With you Cilian.

I remember you once telling me that you thought it equally - if not more interesting - to note the questions posted, rather than the answers tendered (hopefully not a breach of the Official Secrets Act?). We have Pro and non-Pro - why do we need "Platinum" and which criteria should or need apply?

Sláinte
Chris

[Edited at 2007-01-18 23:16]

Cilian O'Tuama  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
(Hey Chris Jan 18, 2007

up late too, I see! Prost.

Official Secrets Act is verjährt. But before this becomes a private banter...)

--
I actually like the idea of the "good one". If I could see that a respected colleague has marked a Q as such. it would likely attract my attention to questions I would otherwise ignore (most).

Very often tricky Qs lead to lively, entertaining and fruitful discussion (but unfortulately they often seem to be overlooked by many quality contributors).

Re the "good one" feature: IMO it's not a question of platinum, pro and non-pro. The ANSWERERS decide whether it's a "good one". But we really need to define "good". I think "tricky" would be a better word, but I'm sure there are better still.

Sláinte mhaith,
C

Textklick wrote:
We have Pro and non-Pro - why do we need "Platinum" and which criteria should or need apply?

Sláinte
Chris

Textklick  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:10
German to English
+ ...
(Slight) rethink Jan 19, 2007

Cilian O'Tuama wrote:
It would likely attract my attention to questions I would otherwise ignore (most).

Like I said, (or quoted).

Very often tricky Qs lead to lively, entertaining and fruitful discussion (but unfortulately they often seem to be overlooked by many quality contributors.

Good point.

The ANSWERERS decide whether it's a "good one".

Better point. Are their names displayed? Food for thought.

But we really need to define "good". I think "tricky" would be a better word, but I'm sure there are better still.

Or are the tricky ones those that draw few (or no) suggestions? Or just guesses?

Happy Freitag!

Nitey
C

gad
United States
Local time: 20:10
French to English
Maybe not NO ONE... Jan 19, 2007

Joanna Borowska wrote:

But it's true that no one really uses it...

I've had past questions labelled as "good questions". I know some people think that it's a silly function, but I think that it is something positive. It's not like something you're expecting, just an added option. Maybe it doesn't make a difference to anything, but it's certainly not hurting anything by having this option, either.

Fiona Grace Peterson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
We press the button and nothing happens... Jan 19, 2007

but we press it anyway... sound familiar? Everything happens for a reason

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Good Questions

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search