Thread poster: Natalya Zelikova
Natalya Zelikova
Natalya Zelikova  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 02:35
English to Russian
+ ...
Mar 1, 2007

How compulsory is the use of this option (This question was taken from a translation test (or from homework)?

I don't like seeing somebody's question taken from the same test that I am working on. Even if the question is asked in another language pair for multiple language projects it looks unfair to other translators competing in the same language pair.
Or is it normal?

Jessica Van Humbeeck
Jessica Van Humbeeck  Identity Verified
English to Dutch
+ ...
Depends Mar 1, 2007

Hi Natalya,

I understand your point, but as long as it is a different language pair, I don't mind.

Besides: we are all colleagues here: what we don't win, will make place for something else which may even be better

have a nice day!

Natalya Zelikova
Poland
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Really it depends :) Mar 1, 2007

The point is that I'm feeling more comfortable with helping a colleague who frankly indicated that s/he is working on test than seeing a normal question, which is in fact the basis for the client decision on whether a translator is capable of doing the job.

Actually it doesn't bother me too much, and I do "take it easy" - just wanted to know the purpose of this option

Sarah Downing
Sarah Downing  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:35
German to English
+ ...
In the long-run ... Mar 1, 2007

Even if they do pass the test by relying on the assistance of colleagues, in the long-run they'll have to go it alone and show what they alone are capable of for the agency to continue working with them.

Cheers,

Sarah

sokolniki
sokolniki  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:35
English to Russian
+ ...
Very good point, Sarah Mar 1, 2007

Yes, in the long run. I keep wondering why this one translator in my language pair - I never talked or corresponded with this person, however I already remember the name - places KudoZ questions clearly showing either lack of professionalism or complete absence of desire to do the job on his/her own. Swamped? - you will probably say. Well, it takes approximately the same time to look up for a word/phrase in Multitran/other dictionary or place a question in Proz. Another thing this person like... See more
Yes, in the long run. I keep wondering why this one translator in my language pair - I never talked or corresponded with this person, however I already remember the name - places KudoZ questions clearly showing either lack of professionalism or complete absence of desire to do the job on his/her own. Swamped? - you will probably say. Well, it takes approximately the same time to look up for a word/phrase in Multitran/other dictionary or place a question in Proz. Another thing this person likes to do is placing the translation - a long phrase or two and clearly asking to edit or check it (apparently an editor's job which costs money).

I am just curious if he/she is working as a professional translator and taking it seriously - the level of questions is easy enough for a student of linguistics college. What do you think?
Collapse

Sarah Downing
Sarah Downing  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:35
German to English
+ ...
It's not the first time and it won't be the last ... Mar 1, 2007

sokolniki wrote:

Yes, in the long run. I keep wondering why this one translator in my language pair - I never talked or corresponded with this person, however I already remember the name - places KudoZ questions clearly showing either lack of professionalism or complete absence of desire to do the job on his/her own. Swamped? - you will probably say. Well, it takes approximately the same time to look up for a word/phrase in Multitran/other dictionary or place a question in Proz. Another thing this person likes to do is placing the translation - a long phrase or two and clearly asking to edit or check it (apparently an editor's job which costs money).

I am just curious if he/she is working as a professional translator and taking it seriously - the level of questions is easy enough for a student of linguistics college. What do you think?

I've seen that a lot really. Sometimes I wonder why people bother asking Kudoz questions when they could just as easily research the term themselves in the same time on google. Kudoz is always my last resort really, but I suppose if you are a rookie you tend to ask more questions - or that is at least one explanation (no offence intended to anyone here - I am talking from my own experience;-))

Furthermore, sometimes there are jobs when you are truly stumped or jobs that are your subject area but with terms from another subject area - that can be tough and you may need help, but I reckon if you are doing this all the time, you could be taking on the wrong work.

Personally, I would aim to make Kudoz questions the exception rather than the rule because for me it is so much more time-consuming - you have to post the question, then wait for a suitable answer and then grade the answers. I also have to say that the glossaries are a great help and often save me having to ask certain questions in the first place.

Cheers,

Sarah

William [Bill] Gray
William [Bill] Gray  Identity Verified
Norway
Member (2006)
English
+ ...
Well said, Sarah... Mar 2, 2007

Sarah Downing wrote:
Personally, I would aim to make Kudoz questions the exception rather than the rule because for me it is so much more time-consuming - you have to post the question, then wait for a suitable answer and then grade the answers. I also have to say that the glossaries are a great help and often save me having to ask certain questions in the first place.

Cheers,

Sarah

I LOVE to answer questions in KudoZ (it's almost an addiction, and I also feel that I am helping others - I don't mind who it is (though we have extremely considerate colleagues in my language pairs!), but my own postings with questions are very few, for the reasons you suggest.

Oh well, let's get back to the wonderful mix of translating for the clients and KudoZing for our colleagues...

Have a wonderful day,

Bill

[Edited at 2007-03-02 05:57]

Cecilia Di Vita
Cecilia Di Vita  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:35
English to Italian
+ ...
I agree with you Mar 2, 2007

Natalya Zelikova wrote:

How compulsory is the use of this option (This question was taken from a translation test (or from homework)?

I don't like seeing somebody's question taken from the same test that I am working on. Even if the question is asked in another language pair for multiple language projects it looks unfair to other translators competing in the same language pair.
Or is it normal?

This happened to me many times as well , and I don't like it at all. Especially, I don't like it when these people DON'T clearly state that the Kudoz is taken from a test assignment. That's simply dishonest and I usually make the moderators aware of these facts.
What really makes me angry is that these people think they are smarter than everyone else, and they don't understand that they end up looking very naif, unexperienced and even unprofessional.

JulietteC
JulietteC
English to French
even worse... Mar 2, 2007

The problem is not only for Kudoz questions:

a few months ago, I was doing a translation test for a subtitling/video game company. I looked for the meaning of an expression on Google, and among the results, there was a link to a Proz profile.

Guess what ? A translator (not in my language pair) put the WHOLE test AND its translation into her language in the portfolio of her Proz profile!

First of all, it is very stupid for all the other applicants in the sam
... See more
The problem is not only for Kudoz questions:

a few months ago, I was doing a translation test for a subtitling/video game company. I looked for the meaning of an expression on Google, and among the results, there was a link to a Proz profile.

Guess what ? A translator (not in my language pair) put the WHOLE test AND its translation into her language in the portfolio of her Proz profile!

First of all, it is very stupid for all the other applicants in the same language pair. I'm not sure the company would appreciate that...

Moreover, is it ethical to put in her portfolio a translation that was not a real project but just a test they send to any translator ? I don't think so...
Collapse

Jenns (X)
Jenns (X)
Local time: 18:35
English to French
+ ...
Helping a colleague May 22, 2007

Actually I think it does help to assist colleagues because most will then assist you when you need it.

Natalya Zelikova
Poland
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
clarification May 23, 2007

Hi Jenns,

Actually my post was not about helping colleagues with translation in general, but about "helping" colleagues not willing to state that this is their test, i.e. about helping them to get a job, not to complete it, i.e. helping those who are asking for help, but not honest enough to say that this is a test.

As for me, I do appreciate when I get help through KudoZ, but I do not ask questions from tests.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

"This question was taken from a translation test"

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »