Thread poster: Paul Roige (X)
Paul Roige (X)
Paul Roige (X)
Spain
Local time: 13:17
English to Spanish
+ ...
Dec 3, 2002

I have contacted ProZ to find out whether there is any chance to implement Kudoz-Net for Mac:

\"Dear Proz-makers,

Mac user feels sad and left out. Kudoz-net too painful to miss.

Any chance of surprise Xmas present this year?

Thank you\"

The (quick) response from ProZ was as follows:

\"At this time we have no plans to develop the Mac version. We have received

3 other requests to make
... See more
I have contacted ProZ to find out whether there is any chance to implement Kudoz-Net for Mac:

\"Dear Proz-makers,

Mac user feels sad and left out. Kudoz-net too painful to miss.

Any chance of surprise Xmas present this year?

Thank you\"

The (quick) response from ProZ was as follows:

\"At this time we have no plans to develop the Mac version. We have received

3 other requests to make it available but considering time and resources

required for such an undertaking it is not practical at this time\".

Thanks ProZ for your prompt response to my enquiry.

Now, hey, WAR!!

Sure we are many more than four Mac users floating about Planet Proz.

If you read this and you are a Mac user, I would like to suggest you to:

>>> write a polite message to ProZ stating your interest in Kudoz-Net
Collapse

jsl (X)
jsl (X)
Local time: 20:17
English to Japanese
+ ...
I totally agree Dec 3, 2002

I totally agree with you as an enthusiastic Mac user.

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 07:17
SITE FOUNDER
Sorry, guys Dec 3, 2002

KudoZ.NET took several months to develop. It is not practical for us to redo everything from the ground up again for the \"Mac minority\". At the very least, we would have to see the Windows version become popular first.

On the other hand, if there is a vendor that supports the Mac who would like to integrate KudoZ functions into his/her product, we would be hppy to support that with an API.

Paul Roige (X)
Paul Roige (X)
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Henry Dec 3, 2002

you switched on the light at the end of this tunnel. I appreciate your efforts. Looking forward to that possibility.

Cheers Paul

Paul Roige (X)
Paul Roige (X)
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
...but, Dec 3, 2002

... Mac troopers, keep showing the colours (sorry, flavours...).

A tiny little wee bit of pressure never hurts, oi!.

P

Arnaud HERVE
Arnaud HERVE  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
out of town Dec 3, 2002

I am a mac user, but it is only my second computer. I would never have occurred to me to have only a mac, especially for office work.

Besides, Apple recently made too many changes too quickly, with too many beta versions, and even breaking the law of upward compatibility, and that has been a hassle for developpers.

I think if you want to live out of town, you\'ve got to buy a car a car or smthg, but not complain the bus doesn\'t stop at your door.

Almost all mac use
... See more
I am a mac user, but it is only my second computer. I would never have occurred to me to have only a mac, especially for office work.

Besides, Apple recently made too many changes too quickly, with too many beta versions, and even breaking the law of upward compatibility, and that has been a hassle for developpers.

I think if you want to live out of town, you\'ve got to buy a car a car or smthg, but not complain the bus doesn\'t stop at your door.

Almost all mac users would be tolerant enough to have a PC in their office, and you can even buy an inexpensive second-hand PC.
Collapse

Paul Roige (X)
Paul Roige (X)
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Arnaud... Dec 3, 2002

Really, pleeease...!!!

:-S

Sheila Hardie
Sheila Hardie  Identity Verified
Spain
Catalan to English
+ ...
Almost, maybe Dec 3, 2002

\"Almost all mac users would be tolerant enough to have a PC in their office, and you can even buy an inexpensive second-hand PC\".

Almost being the operative word )

Sheila (who loves her Mac, doesn\'t want a PC, doesn\'t have money to buy one and is also somewhat transport challenged( - the bus doesn\'t stop outside my door and I live in the city
... See more
\"Almost all mac users would be tolerant enough to have a PC in their office, and you can even buy an inexpensive second-hand PC\".

Almost being the operative word )

Sheila (who loves her Mac, doesn\'t want a PC, doesn\'t have money to buy one and is also somewhat transport challenged( - the bus doesn\'t stop outside my door and I live in the city )
Collapse

Elizabeth Adams
Elizabeth Adams  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:17
Member (2002)
Russian to English
:) Dec 3, 2002

I love my Mac!

(I do keep a ratty old PC around for the hell of it, though)

If there were KudozNET for Mac I would use it.

E

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 18:17
English to Thai
+ ...
Macintosh in Manual translation & Printing industry Dec 3, 2002

I am sure large amount of translation in our Proz.com are used for publishing that require Macintosh. Why not emphasize Mac on DTP in the Proz community. It is very helpful and safer than Windows (computer virus etc.)

Dr. Soonthon Lupkitaro (Bangkoik, proz/2724
[addsig]

Oso (X)
Oso (X)
Spanish
+ ...
another Mac Trooper feeling kinda blue ¶:^C Dec 3, 2002

Paul says:

\"Mac troopers, keep showing the colours (sorry, flavours...). A tiny little wee bit of pressure never hurts, oi!. P\"

Cheer up, fellow Mac Lovers! We can always ask Saint Nick & The Boys for a miracle...

HugZ from,

Oso ¶:^)

\"...us staunch members of the MacIntosh clan who would rather swim backstroke all the way to Iceland than touching a PC with a stic
... See more
Paul says:

\"Mac troopers, keep showing the colours (sorry, flavours...). A tiny little wee bit of pressure never hurts, oi!. P\"

Cheer up, fellow Mac Lovers! We can always ask Saint Nick & The Boys for a miracle...

HugZ from,

Oso ¶:^)

\"...us staunch members of the MacIntosh clan who would rather swim backstroke all the way to Iceland than touching a PC with a stick...\"

Collapse

David Kiltz
David Kiltz
English to German
+ ...
Since it is all about quality... Dec 4, 2002

I\'m obviously using a Mac. .Net compatability is around the corner so we might as well be able to use it soom without much of a reprogramming effort. @Arnaud: Apple did the right thing. The changes were neccessary. I\'m using MacOS X and it\'s worth every pain (indeed, there is no pain at all). I would really like to know what backward compatability issues you\'re having! I don\'t have any.

As for .NET - well, it is meant to be proprietary and control (for M$) orientated. I wouldn\'t
... See more
I\'m obviously using a Mac. .Net compatability is around the corner so we might as well be able to use it soom without much of a reprogramming effort. @Arnaud: Apple did the right thing. The changes were neccessary. I\'m using MacOS X and it\'s worth every pain (indeed, there is no pain at all). I would really like to know what backward compatability issues you\'re having! I don\'t have any.

As for .NET - well, it is meant to be proprietary and control (for M$) orientated. I wouldn\'t have used it in the first place. There are alternatives that are open to everybody (Linux etc. included).

P.S. I do have a PC (emulation) available. Yet, I would never use a .NET service.
Collapse

luskie
luskie
English to Italian
+ ...
My beloved Mac Dec 7, 2002

received the same three-word answer from the staff (a few days ago) and it felt so offended... it lost his way to the ProZ page...

for what it\'s worth,

luskie

PS thanks Paul! let\'s hope other Mac users (there MUST be many more than this!) will show up!

Marnen Laibow-Koser
Marnen Laibow-Koser
United States
German to English
+ ...
I don't buy that argument, Henry. Dec 16, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-12-03 05:22, Henry wrote:

KudoZ.NET took several months to develop.

Not a terribly long time in development terms. If this is supposed to create the impression that it was a supremely time-consuming effort, I\'m afraid it fails to do so.

Quote:

It is not practical for us to redo everything from the ground up again... See more
Quote:

On 2002-12-03 05:22, Henry wrote:

KudoZ.NET took several months to develop.

Not a terribly long time in development terms. If this is supposed to create the impression that it was a supremely time-consuming effort, I\'m afraid it fails to do so.

Quote:

It is not practical for us to redo everything from the ground up again for the \"Mac minority\".

It\'s also probably not necessary. To the best of my knowledge, most development environments these days are designed so that software is easy to port from one OS to another *without* redoing it from the ground up. And just how small is this \"Mac minority\" anyway? If it\'s 2 or 3 percent of ProZ users, I suppose it can be ignored. But if it starts getting into the 20-percent range -- or even the 10-percent range, I\'d say -- it\'s just not a good idea to pretend it doesn\'t exist. Do you have any statistics on the OS breakdown on ProZ? If not, it might be good to gather some to serve the user community better in the future.

Quote:

At the very least, we would have to see the Windows version become popular first.

Granted. But if you want the program to become popular, it would help to make it available to more users -- and making it work with more OSs is one way to do that.

Quote:

On the other hand, if there is a vendor that supports the Mac who would like to integrate KudoZ functions into his/her product, we would be hppy to support that with an API.

Developing an API is a lot of work. Developing a front-end to that API is not. Once the API is developed, I for one would like to see a front-end supported by ProZ, on an equal footing with the Windows software that already exists. Frankly, it\'s a bit insulting to pretend Mac users like us don\'t exist, or at least that we don\'t matter.

In case you decide to collect OS stats, here are mine:

Processor: PowerPC 601, 90 MHz

Browser of choice: Internet Explorer 5.1

Internet connection: 31.2-kbps dialup

TM software: Wordfast

Best,

Marnen

Collapse

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
stats, reply to Marnen Dec 16, 2002

Marnen,

Welcome to ProZ.com!

- Last I looked, Mac users accounted for around 3% of the ProZ.com community

- The question is not whether 2-3 months of development is a \"lot\". Development has a cost associated with it, and in a business, that cost has to be recouped in income. Do the math, and when you have a small target market, you will find that developing for the Mac specifically is--unfortunately--usually not practical.
... See more
Marnen,

Welcome to ProZ.com!

- Last I looked, Mac users accounted for around 3% of the ProZ.com community

- The question is not whether 2-3 months of development is a \"lot\". Development has a cost associated with it, and in a business, that cost has to be recouped in income. Do the math, and when you have a small target market, you will find that developing for the Mac specifically is--unfortunately--usually not practical.

- Posting from one platform to another is often made out to be easy. But while hope springs eternal, thus far the promise of cross-platform programming so far has been as disappointing as MT. Hence the .NET angle; not for control, but for openness to all platforms. It probably has the best shot to reach the PC, MAC and UNIX worlds (at least in my opinion.)

In light of the above, and the input received from MAC users, we have decided to make available a free API (much easier than developing MAC apps from scratch.) We have offered to give Yves (of Wordfast) a means of accessing KudoZ.NET functionality from within Wordfast, and he has--in principle--agreed to do so.

You might drop a line to him, telling him you look forward to seeing KudoZ.NET functionality available from Wordfast.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MacIntosh users unite (Kudoz.net)

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »