Agreers putting their proz.com URL in the comments field
Thread poster: casey
casey
casey  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:48
Japanese to English
May 4, 2007

Is this allowed? I have noticed a few people placing their proz.com URL in the comments field when agreeing instead of an actual comment--presumably to get a higher ranking for their profile on Google. Is this permitted? I think it's very tacky and should be discouraged/punished.

RHELLER
RHELLER
United States
Local time: 07:48
French to English
+ ...
I agree that it is not acceptable May 4, 2007

I saw this once and was shocked.

Don't people realize how obvious and phony it looks?

Especially when "helping" a peer?

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
English to French
+ ...
A lot like cutting in front of people in a queue May 4, 2007

I think this should be discouraged, or even prohibited. I don't think it is up to users to dictate where on this site their personal data is displayed - there are many, many designated places for that already. And by the way, when you agree/disagree with an answer, your username is displayed next to it and by clicking it, anybody can go to your profile directly. I don't think it is necessary to go any further.

I consider this aggressive behaviour as an affront to fair play - those w
... See more
I think this should be discouraged, or even prohibited. I don't think it is up to users to dictate where on this site their personal data is displayed - there are many, many designated places for that already. And by the way, when you agree/disagree with an answer, your username is displayed next to it and by clicking it, anybody can go to your profile directly. I don't think it is necessary to go any further.

I consider this aggressive behaviour as an affront to fair play - those who don't get into this game are disadvantaged by it.
Collapse

Marcelo Silveyra
Marcelo Silveyra
United States
Local time: 06:48
Member (2007)
German to English
+ ...
There is no excuse for that... May 5, 2007

and, unfortunately, for a lot of other things that certain people do on KudoZ. I've seen most of them come and go in the scarce two months that I've been part of ProZ, but there seem to be some "veterans" that just love to be rude and unfair. Having a pretty decent code of ethics in KudoZ is tremendously easy, but certain people just don't care. The Internet makes it easier, since they know that no one is going to get physical with them about it and that they can't really get in trouble eithe... See more
and, unfortunately, for a lot of other things that certain people do on KudoZ. I've seen most of them come and go in the scarce two months that I've been part of ProZ, but there seem to be some "veterans" that just love to be rude and unfair. Having a pretty decent code of ethics in KudoZ is tremendously easy, but certain people just don't care. The Internet makes it easier, since they know that no one is going to get physical with them about it and that they can't really get in trouble either. I'm sorry you're having to see this. You're right, it's tacky, unfair, and should not happen at all (you would think that we're all adults, but nooo...).Collapse

Özden Arıkan
Özden Arıkan  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 15:48
English to Turkish
+ ...
It is not allowed May 5, 2007

Hi Casey,

Posting profile URLs in the comments field is certainly not acceptable, under the following Kudoz rule, at least:

http://www.proz.com/siterules/kudoz_answ/3.5#3.5
Peer comments must be purely linguistic. As elsewhere in the site, personal comments are not allowed in peer comments. Notes should be based solely on linguistic evaluation of answers provided. Backing up peer comments with references is encouraged.

I believe it is also against the "No advertising" rule:
http://www.proz.com/siterules/general/3#3

So, assuming that you haven't done so yet, please contact a moderator with the relevant links. If there's no moderator assigned for the pair in question, you can contact any moderator with a similar language pair.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Özden

[Edited at 2007-05-05 14:05]

casey
casey  Identity Verified
United States
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Will do May 5, 2007

Özden Arıkan wrote:

Hi Casey,

Posting profile URLs in the comments field is certainly not acceptable, under the following Kudoz rule, at least:

http://www.proz.com/siterules/kudoz_answ/3.5#3.5
Peer comments must be purely linguistic. As elsewhere in the site, personal comments are not allowed in peer comments. Notes should be based solely on linguistic evaluation of answers provided. Backing up peer comments with references is encouraged.

I believe it is also against the "No advertising" rule:
http://www.proz.com/siterules/general/3#3

So, assuming that you haven't done so yet, please contact a moderator with the relevant links. If there's no moderator assigned for the pair in question, you can contact any moderator with a similar language pair.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Özden

[Edited at 2007-05-05 14:05]

Thanks for the info.

[Edited at 2007-05-05 14:09]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Agreers putting their proz.com URL in the comments field

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »