Abusive behaviour by anonymous KudoZ asker
Thread poster: Maria Luisa Duarte

Maria Luisa Duarte  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 22:55
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Jan 18, 2003

I have been a Proz member since May 2002. In the 7.5 months that have elapsed, I have witnessed, on a number of occasions, certain attitudes amongst fellow members, which could be classified as politically incorrect.

In some occasions, I’ve been the target of less than polite remarks. It is true that sometimes it is unpleasant to see such derogative comments directed at one, but using an old English saying “ sticks and stones may hurt my bones but words will never harm me” so this obviously has not detered me from continuing with my daily participation and enjoying every minute of it.

Anyway what really upset me today were the personal attacks directed at one of our colleagues from the English – Portuguese language pair. These remarks were carried out Saturday (18.01.2003) by a non registered site visitor.

Quote: ” fat man lookin through bottle bottoms. I guess i missed a lot,but antonio u should have ducked when the uglystick was swung. I missed that one!and why would u put that ugly picture on the net?U like being made fun of? hahahahah!!!!!!!!

Be nicer and it does say free fat man!

Asker: whatever u wantJan 18 6:43am

Unquote”

The person in question introduced himself as Shawn and posted 5 questions on the English –Portuguese language pair around 5:58am. For some reason he did not like the comments made by our colleague and subsequently retaliated as described above.

The site responsible personnel should closely analyze this incident, and take measures in order to prevent this from happening again.

Professionals must be respected and therefore we should take a firm stand against this type of abuse.

Also, I wish to reassure António that I’m totally against the kind of disrespectful behaviour that he was subjected to, and hope this was an isolated case.

MLD

Direct link Reply with quote

Rodolfo Beneyto  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 21:55
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Anonymous askers Jan 19, 2003

I agree with you, and have already squashed the question and written to António. As the asker is an anonymous without a profile, there is no way I can reprimand or block him/her. I believe this is an isolated case, as in the last 6 months there were 50 anonymous questions in this pair and only this one appears to have been offensive.

It seems logical to accept anonymous in this list. Remember that we were all anonymous visitors the first time we came to this site, and if one decides to remain anonymous there\'s no way we can prevent that.

If you see a similar case in the future and the moderator for this pair (Paulo Wengorski) doesn\'t take any action, I would appreciate it if you could let me know (or any of the other moderators).

Thank you.

Steffen Pollex  Identity Verified
English to German
+ ...
I suggested a year ago Jan 19, 2003

that only people registered with the site and thus, at least, to some extent, willing to disclose their identity, should have the opportunity to ask questions here. At least, in this case, we would have the opportunity to react directly to offensive statements. For some reason, there has been no raction from the site staff.

One may argue that, thus, the status of proZ as \"the home of language professionals\" may go down. I don\'t think so:

1) anonymous questions (or from non-site-menbers), as far as I found out in my pairs, count only for an insignificant percentage of all questions;

2) anyway, there are colleagues whose level, unless they have joined the site of \"professionals\", can be stated being far from professional or who have not disclosed any information on themselves in their profiles (except a user name). Once again, these seem to be in minority.

Consequently, forcing askers to leave, at least, an e-mal address on the site would be an issue.

Moderators and technicians, your turn!

Henry Dotterer
Local time: 16:55
SITE FOUNDER
Non-registered users can only ask 'easy' questions Jan 19, 2003

Most non-registered askers are using KudoZ from other sites. Please note that they can only ask \'easy\' level questions. So the way to avoid unprofessional questions is to subscribe to, and view, only pro-level questions.

xxxHIROSE  Identity Verified
Japanese to English
+ ...
According to the Proz.Com RuleEEE Jan 20, 2003

Going back to the quality of KudoZ, I wholeheartedly understand and agree with Maria. Not only that, I myself have been questioning about how Proz.Com can maintain the quality of KudoZ. Well, in my language pair, the askers are actually quite nice; however, it is the \"registered\" users (\"pros\"!) who manifested questionable behaviors in the past. In fact, there are a couple of \"pros\" who sent me emails directly to my personal email address with \"less than polite remarks\" such as Maria described.

According to the \"Proz.Com Rule\"EEE, it is written:

\"The following are not allowed:

* Inhibiting any other user from using and enjoying the service

*....\"

Isn\'t it?

My question is simple. How is it going to work if we want to maintain the quality and integrity of KudoZ as a professional site? Yes, I will keep enjoying Proz.Com because I love it, but have to consider to pay for the membership next year.... sorry.

[ This Message was edited by:on2003-01-20 06:20]

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Response to Steffen and Hirose Jan 20, 2003

Hi Steffen,

Quote:
Consequently, forcing askers to leave, at least, an e-mal address on the site would be an issue.

Not an issue - this is reality: no question is asked without an e-mail address; this is true for unregistered askers as well as for those who choose to establish a profile. Moderators have the ability to restrict user access to the site.

Hirose, having read your comments, I would strongly advise you to contact the moderator for the language pair involved (there\'s a link at the bottom of each question). Sending abusive e-mails to members is against the rules and the community spirit of ProZ.com; several members have been banned from the site for this very reason. But site staff and/or moderators can only pursue this if you notify them accordingly.

Best, Ralf

xxxHIROSE  Identity Verified
Japanese to English
+ ...
Thank you Ralf. Jan 20, 2003

[quote]

On 2003-01-20 06:54, Lemster wrote:

Hi Steffen,

Quote:
Hirose, having read your comments, I would strongly advise you to contact the moderator for the language pair involved (there\'s a link at the bottom of each question). Sending abusive e-mails to members is against the rules and the community spirit of ProZ.com; several members have been banned from the site for this very reason. But site staff and/or moderators can only pursue this if you notify them accordingly.

Best, Ralf

Thank you Ralf. I will heed on your advice. Well, I believe I have to remember the particular dates, times, and the contents of these unwelcomed emails. I was upset then, so I just deleted them immediatelly. Next time, I will save these messages in order to be able to report to the moderator accordingly.

Again, thank you for your wisdom

H.

Rodolfo Beneyto  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 21:55
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Forgive my ignorance,,, Jan 20, 2003

Quote:

On 2003-01-20 06:54, Lemster wrote:

Not an issue - this is reality: no question is asked without an e-mail address; this is true for unregistered askers as well as for those who choose to establish a profile. Moderators have the ability to restrict user access to the site.

When I wrote on this thread that \"As the asker is an anonymous without a profile, there is no way I can reprimand or block him/her\", I was unaware that this is in fact possible. After reading Ralf\'s message (thanks, Ralf ), I found out that it is indeed possible to find out the asker\'s e-mail address and use it to reprimand and/or block him/her.

Unfortunately, in this case that wasn\'t possible as the asker used a fake e-mail address. However, we may be able to avoid this in the future. We are going to find out the technical feasibility of these two alternatives: when the unregistered asked sends a question, the system automatically sends him/her an acknowledgement e-mail with a password (this is already done, not my suggestion). If this e-mail receives a \"Returned Mail\" from the ISP, the system could be set to block the question. This was my suggestion. Endre Both suggested: Alternatively, the confirmation mail could contain a validation link the asker would have to click on before the question is published on Proz.com. In addition, this might also (partially) rid the Kudoz section of those who ask questions for the sheer fun of it.

We\'ll let you all know what will be done about this.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Abusive behaviour by anonymous KudoZ asker

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search