Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Overuse of KudoZ - please limit questions per day (or per hour)
Thread poster: Catherine Bolton
Steffen Pollex (X)
Steffen Pollex (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:58
English to German
+ ...
It's pretty boring to see this coming up again! Jan 30, 2003

I find this kind of \"recycling\" pointless and boring. It has been discussed, discussed, discussed (you may check the forums), and hardly anyone will be able to add something new or valuable to these discussions in the future... People have a different opinion, which is natural.

Don\'t answer if you dislike the poster or his questions, delete the respective postings from the mailbox, that\'s it!

In no way should this be a reason for limiting the number
... See more
I find this kind of \"recycling\" pointless and boring. It has been discussed, discussed, discussed (you may check the forums), and hardly anyone will be able to add something new or valuable to these discussions in the future... People have a different opinion, which is natural.

Don\'t answer if you dislike the poster or his questions, delete the respective postings from the mailbox, that\'s it!

In no way should this be a reason for limiting the number of requests one will be allowed to post.

Steffen

On 2003-01-29 20:01, cbolton wrote:

The Italian/English community is being spammed -- and not in the easy category, so it\'s not a matter of changing settings.

After receiving 27 postings in the past two hours, from someone who OBVIOUSLY hasn\'t a clue where to begin, I\'ve been forced to deactivate my e-mail settings until he or she has turned in the job that should not have been accepted in the first place.

Henry, PULLEEZZ put a ceiling on the numbers of kudoz that can be posted in a day. Or an hour.

[ This Message was edited byn2003-01-29 20:02]

[/quote]

[ This Message was edited by:on2003-01-30 12:29]
Collapse

Joanne Parker
Joanne Parker  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:58
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
A suggestion Jan 30, 2003

I have a suggestion about how we can overcome this part of this \"problem\", although I have no idea how technically feasible it is. I\'m not a web developer. Perhaps I should post this under the \"Suggestions\" forum, but I\'ll throw it in here.

It would be good if the glossary could be linked more closely to Kudoz questions. What I mean by that is, if you are about to ask what \"I love you\" means in Russian, for example, the ProZ website could automatically provide links
... See more
I have a suggestion about how we can overcome this part of this \"problem\", although I have no idea how technically feasible it is. I\'m not a web developer. Perhaps I should post this under the \"Suggestions\" forum, but I\'ll throw it in here.

It would be good if the glossary could be linked more closely to Kudoz questions. What I mean by that is, if you are about to ask what \"I love you\" means in Russian, for example, the ProZ website could automatically provide links to existing answers about this term. This would then at least prevent the asker from asking questions that have already been answered, and would ensure that the asker checks existing glossaries.

Alternatively, we could change the Ask Kudoz Question page, so that the asker is \"forced\" to check the existing glossaries first (a slightly more pro-active version of my suggestion above). Only then would the asker be able to actually ask the question. That might solve one aspect of repeated questions that have been answered previously.

Of course, it would help if people just looked through the glossaries first, but that\'s going to happen if anyone can access the website.

I don\'t think that debating how many questions people should be able to ask is \"boring\", since it\'s obviously a topic that people feel very strongly about. There are many reasons why people suddenly post five questions at a time (end of a job, need to check etc) and these have all been discussed before. Some of these people may even be schoolchildren or students. We can\'t prevent these people from accessing such a wealth of information, surely?

My two pence worth, as it were.

Joanne

Collapse

Nathalie M. Girard, ALHC (X)
Nathalie M. Girard, ALHC (X)  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
To Amy and others - Let me remind you... Jan 30, 2003

Quote:

On 2003-01-30 01:39, awilliams wrote:

... but restricting postings would mean that genuine queries were ruled out (10 queries at the end of a 20,000 word translation=not bad)...

A

Welcome Amy! (I see that you are a new member)

A 20,000 word project would take more than 1 or 2 days (!!!) to be completed. So if we had a \"5 Kudoz question/day limi... See more
Quote:

On 2003-01-30 01:39, awilliams wrote:

... but restricting postings would mean that genuine queries were ruled out (10 queries at the end of a 20,000 word translation=not bad)...

A

Welcome Amy! (I see that you are a new member)

A 20,000 word project would take more than 1 or 2 days (!!!) to be completed. So if we had a \"5 Kudoz question/day limit\", there would be no problem if an asker had 10 questions related to that particular job.

My problem with the issue of unlimited Kudoz is the very important \"SAFETY\" factor.

It seems that a lot of members tend to forget that what they are translating may have a dangerous impact in the end, if they handle a job which is clearly outside their scope of expertise!

I can understand that a client sends a job and you look at it quickly (while working on another project with a looming deadline), and you do not catch that there\'s a mention about something technical that you know absolutely *nothing* about on page 5.

So, yes, after exhausting other resources (checking with the client first if possible - unless it\'s the middle of the night of course , various dictionaries, online glossaries, etc...) you then come to Kudoz for help.

That\'s what Kudoz is for. And if other resources are checked first, you would not find the flooding of questions that we see on a regular basis.

How many times has Henry (and other members, including myself) have *reminded* members that they are supposed to check into their own dictionary first (it seems that some people are just too lazy to open up one... or perhaps to cheap to buy one???)

So a ceiling would make it that people would ask the questions that they REALLY need to ask and force them do their research on the easier stuff.

For argument\'s sake: A translator on average can handle 2,000 words per day - if the job they are handling is \"a 1 day job\" to be delivered that night or the next morning, and an asker needs to ask more than 5 questions on these 2,000 words or less (after exhausting all other venues), then maybe that translator should not have been handling this translation to begin with!

It could have serious repercussions down the line.

Too many newcomers to the profession do not have the proper training and/or do not realize the full (potentially dangerous) impact that their work can have in the end!

So I remind everyone to handle *only* the jobs that they are actually suited for.

Regards,

Nathalie ▲ Collapse

Arnaud HERVE
Arnaud HERVE  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 15:58
English to French
+ ...
Excuse my >fr Jan 30, 2003

Hi there,

well, this is what I received in my mail this morning. Before you read it, please understand I wrote at second degree, I sincerely believed that on the other side of the line there was some teenager having fun - probably with several other friends - and not caring at all about the answer. So my intention was just to have fun with the other >fr colleagues who could read that.

mail from Proz:

\"You proposed an answer
... See more
Hi there,

well, this is what I received in my mail this morning. Before you read it, please understand I wrote at second degree, I sincerely believed that on the other side of the line there was some teenager having fun - probably with several other friends - and not caring at all about the answer. So my intention was just to have fun with the other >fr colleagues who could read that.

mail from Proz:

\"You proposed an answer to this KudoZ question:

eat me out

Your answer:

Rhhaaaa, mange moi tout cru, ha ma cochonne.......

The asker was given several opportunities to award KudoZ points to the most helpful answer. However, he or she did not grade within a reasonable period of time. Therefore, the answer most agreed-upon by peers (at least two peers must agree) was selected.

That answer was yours. You have earned 4 points.

Enter the term into the group glossary to earn BrowniZ:

http://www.proz.com/sp=h&id=344461&login=y&gloss=y \"

Now don\'t tell me there is not a problem in the system!

Henry! Pleeeeaaaaaaase help me quench this French scandal quickly and let\'s give the Kudoz points to some beginner!!!

Collapse

Yolanda Broad
Yolanda Broad  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:58
Member (2000)
French to English
+ ...

Cleanup of Glossary, FR<>EN Jan 30, 2003

We need quality over quantity in the Proz glossaries. And I think that a MAJOR clean-up is required in there.

Are there any plans to review all the entries across the board, and remove/modify them so that they are *actually* truly accurate, instead of reflecting the *most helpful* suggestion a person was given at a certain time?

Having selected and entered the \"most helpful\" suggestion does not mean that it is the *accurate* one in the end.

<
... See more
We need quality over quantity in the Proz glossaries. And I think that a MAJOR clean-up is required in there.

Are there any plans to review all the entries across the board, and remove/modify them so that they are *actually* truly accurate, instead of reflecting the *most helpful* suggestion a person was given at a certain time?

Having selected and entered the \"most helpful\" suggestion does not mean that it is the *accurate* one in the end.

The FREN moderators have been actively combing old KudoZ, to verify entries and standardize their format, for some time now. We would, however, be deeply grateful if others would contact us when they notice errors, so we can correct them.

The ProZ glossaries are already an invaluable resource. Let\'s keep working on them, to make them a unique treasure.

Thanks to all for any contributions.

Yolanda Broad

ProZ Moderator, French to English
Collapse

Rodolfo Beneyto
Rodolfo Beneyto  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 14:58
English to Portuguese
+ ...
KudoZ abuse in English - Portuguese? Feb 1, 2003

Quote:

On 2003-01-30 01:28, antrib wrote:

Just another exemple:

70 postings for the past 9 days.

When asked about this, her comment was: \"I am just helping a friend of mine to develop a these and I am no so good at English...\".

What is the name for this kind of behaviour? I call it ABUSE.

There is no strict policy regarding what can be cons... See more
Quote:

On 2003-01-30 01:28, antrib wrote:

Just another exemple:

70 postings for the past 9 days.

When asked about this, her comment was: \"I am just helping a friend of mine to develop a these and I am no so good at English...\".

What is the name for this kind of behaviour? I call it ABUSE.

There is no strict policy regarding what can be considered abuse in KudoZ.

Let\'s assume this case. You have in hands a rather long and complex project, start collecting terms that you don\'t know and, at the end of each day, you post them here. We are free to answer or just ignore the questions. If we have free time, are familiar with the subject area, want to get some points, decide to use the opportunity to add a few more terms to the glossary, AND would like to help the asker, we would submit our replies. Otherwise, we would keep away and I don\'t see how this could affect negatively any of us or the site itself.

If a translator accepts a job on a subject with which he is not comfortable and then starts posting a big number of questions, he is showing to all of us that he\'s not a professional. My gut reaction to this would be to abstain from answering, because I would NOT like to help the asker. But I can\'t expect everybody to think like me, and shouldn\'t withdraw the right to answer from them.

In this particular case, she\'s not a translator trying to get all of us to do the job for her. She\'s helping a friend developing a thesis and we are free to help her or refrain from it. ▲ Collapse

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 09:58
SITE FOUNDER
Moderator announcement regarding Nathalie M. Girard, ALHC Feb 1, 2003

Yesterday a posting was made that called into question the identity and mother tongue of a site member, Nathalie M. Girard, ALHC. The posting was not only in violation of site rules forbidding comments of a personal nature, it was also incorrect. Nathalie is a real person, with native command of the English language.

I would ask all members to refrain from baseless speculation in the future.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Overuse of KudoZ - please limit questions per day (or per hour)

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »