https://www.proz.com/forum/kudoz/8198-agreed_postings_after_the_asker_has_closed_the_question.html

Agreed postings after the asker has closed the question
Thread poster: Frank Bremster
Frank Bremster
Frank Bremster  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:05
German
+ ...
Feb 1, 2003

I gave an answer to a Kuzos question. After pressing enter I realized that somebody was faster than me, and I added a short remark, stating to disregard my answer, as somebody else was faster.

The question was closed by the asker after a couple of minutes, because the answer was clear and obvious.

Now comes the funny part. Although the question was closed and I stated that the answer above me is the valid one (which also received the deserved points) I am still r
... See more
I gave an answer to a Kuzos question. After pressing enter I realized that somebody was faster than me, and I added a short remark, stating to disregard my answer, as somebody else was faster.

The question was closed by the asker after a couple of minutes, because the answer was clear and obvious.

Now comes the funny part. Although the question was closed and I stated that the answer above me is the valid one (which also received the deserved points) I am still reciving agrees, although the thing is done and over with.

Taking at look at the answer that received the points also suggests that people are still grading it.

I have to ask two questions:

1. (For Henry?) Does it make any sense to allow people to grade questions already closed (and receive points for it). Is it a technical problem?

2. How can people, without any guilty feelings (an assumption) grade questions already clearly answered and graded, in addition to the one, that was even marked late by the author?

A moral question?

Collapse

Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 19:05
Spanish
+ ...
It's necessary to let the questions open Feb 2, 2003

It\'s my opinion. Any translator can still agree with every answer and get all the browniz, that\'s up to them, I particularly don\'t agree with that. But, and most important and neccesary, they can disagree or be neutral and give a useful hint or comment to the asker and to other translators as well.

That happened to me once. After I chose an answer, and gave the kudoz points, another pro disagree with that answer because -although it was a correct translation- it wasn\'t the perfe
... See more
It\'s my opinion. Any translator can still agree with every answer and get all the browniz, that\'s up to them, I particularly don\'t agree with that. But, and most important and neccesary, they can disagree or be neutral and give a useful hint or comment to the asker and to other translators as well.

That happened to me once. After I chose an answer, and gave the kudoz points, another pro disagree with that answer because -although it was a correct translation- it wasn\'t the perfect translation for my context.

So I think the askers would lose some by closing that window.
Collapse

Kim Metzger
Kim Metzger  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 18:05
German to English
Post-grading KudoZ Feb 2, 2003

The most important thing about KudoZ is the glossary - that\'s really what it\'s all about. When people close a question a few minutes after opening it they are doing a disservice to the main purpose of KudoZ. I often write them a friendly note asking them to keep questions open for at least one day and explain that getting the best answer for the glossary is more important than the asker being satisfied personally. Usually these people answer me and promise to keep my suggestion in mind.
... See more
The most important thing about KudoZ is the glossary - that\'s really what it\'s all about. When people close a question a few minutes after opening it they are doing a disservice to the main purpose of KudoZ. I often write them a friendly note asking them to keep questions open for at least one day and explain that getting the best answer for the glossary is more important than the asker being satisfied personally. Usually these people answer me and promise to keep my suggestion in mind.

But peer-grading and answering questions that have been closed is sometimes a very good idea. When I do a search for a term in the glossary I read what everyone has to say on the subject before selecting the best answer for my particular needs. As we all know, some terrible decisions have been made by askers.
Collapse

JCEC
JCEC  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 20:05
English to French
From a KudoZ addict Feb 2, 2003

Hello Frank,

I gather from your comments that you are not an active player on the KudoZ scene.

Yes, it does make sense to be able to grade answers after the question has been closed by asker. Yesterday, an asker selected an absurd answer in a language pair and was led to the proper answer by additional comments and peer-grading. Massive agrees for an answer not selected by asker will both guide future users of the glossary and alert moderators to the fac
... See more
Hello Frank,

I gather from your comments that you are not an active player on the KudoZ scene.

Yes, it does make sense to be able to grade answers after the question has been closed by asker. Yesterday, an asker selected an absurd answer in a language pair and was led to the proper answer by additional comments and peer-grading. Massive agrees for an answer not selected by asker will both guide future users of the glossary and alert moderators to the fact that the entry may need to be corrected. I have seen several such corrections in the past few months.

You find unusual that some persons grade several answers. First let me say that there is little to gain by peer-grading for one who is already a Platinum member. BrowniZ are far less useful than KudoZ. I, for one, will grade two identical answers out of fairness if they were posted at the same time. Otherwise. I grade the best answer or the most-documented one as well as all different answers which seem equally acceptable. Provided I have time to review the questions of the day of course.

John
Collapse

Telesforo Fernandez (X)
Telesforo Fernandez (X)
Local time: 05:35
English to Spanish
+ ...
Mucho ado about nothing Feb 2, 2003

The whole controversy seems to be unwarranted.Why to make a warfare of such mundane things like Kudoz points? I still feel that if a particular answer suits the asker\'s context, it is perfectly justified to close the question. Kudoz has always been the bone of contention.It is like the dog biting its own tail.

Chase jobs, not Kudoz points.

Do jobs close early?

Are jobs genuine enough?

Do you know the clear physical address of the job poster?
... See more
The whole controversy seems to be unwarranted.Why to make a warfare of such mundane things like Kudoz points? I still feel that if a particular answer suits the asker\'s context, it is perfectly justified to close the question. Kudoz has always been the bone of contention.It is like the dog biting its own tail.

Chase jobs, not Kudoz points.

Do jobs close early?

Are jobs genuine enough?

Do you know the clear physical address of the job poster?

Do you know what happened to the job you quoted for?

Thse are the key issues and not the illusion of the Kudoz garden path.

I mean no offense to anyone. Let us see the things through the proper lenses.

Regards to all,

Telef

[ This Message was edited by:on2003-02-02 09:38]
Collapse

Uwe Kirmse
Uwe Kirmse  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:05
Polish to German
+ ...
Earning BrowniZ Feb 2, 2003

Quote:

On 2003-02-02 01:23, kmetzger wrote:

...When I do a search for a term in the glossary I read what everyone has to say on the subject before selecting the best answer for my particular needs. ...

No, Kim. If there would be any additional comment to these \"agrees\", you would be right. Also \"disagree\" can be heplfull, because often the asker chooses a wrong answer, and others may sea
... See more
Quote:

On 2003-02-02 01:23, kmetzger wrote:

...When I do a search for a term in the glossary I read what everyone has to say on the subject before selecting the best answer for my particular needs. ...

No, Kim. If there would be any additional comment to these \"agrees\", you would be right. Also \"disagree\" can be heplfull, because often the asker chooses a wrong answer, and others may search the glossary later. The answerer of the wrong answer could learn something too.

But have just a look at these questions. People simply grade old questions, all old quetions they can find, even in pairs of languages they don\'t work in nor even speak, only in order to earn some BrowniZ (10 Br. per answer?). If they need it, let them do so, they\'re just poor people. If they earn their BrowniZ, I don\'t loose anything.

Telesforo - if you have more important problems than KudoZ, please allow others to discuss about KudoZ too. Otherwise we would have to discuss only on one main problem in the world (which - hunger, AIDS, terrorism, war?), because all others (including the whole ProZ.com, also your JOBS) are unimportant.

[ This Message was edited by:on2003-02-02 11:11]
Collapse

Bonita Mc Donald
Bonita Mc Donald
Local time: 18:05
Spanish to English
+ ...
This Kudoz and Browniz Point issue IS important! Feb 3, 2003

\"The whole controversy seems to be unwarranted. Why to make a warfare of such mundane things like Kudoz points?\"

I am quoting from a message posted by Telesforo, because I have to disagree with this opening statement. I am a newcomer at ProZ.com and, although everything about it is great, to me the best thing it has is the point-earning system. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but to back mine in particular, Kudoz and Browniz points -and all things related= make for
... See more
\"The whole controversy seems to be unwarranted. Why to make a warfare of such mundane things like Kudoz points?\"

I am quoting from a message posted by Telesforo, because I have to disagree with this opening statement. I am a newcomer at ProZ.com and, although everything about it is great, to me the best thing it has is the point-earning system. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but to back mine in particular, Kudoz and Browniz points -and all things related= make for a serious issue, because those points (especially the Kudoz) to a large extent (although not the last word) reflect the skill and knowledge of the translators who participate on the board.

I definitely agree with Uwe when he says that both \"agrees\" and \"disagrees\" submitted after Kudoz postings have been closed can be helpful, provided they include comments.

In short, I hope you don\'t decide to disable this option. Translators/linguists can look at the answers with a fresh perspective and can take a little more time to analyze all the options and, often, make even better suggestions than the answer chosen.

Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Agreed postings after the asker has closed the question

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »