https://www.proz.com/forum/kudoz/87550-suggestion_for_kudoz_show_a_flag_instead_of_a_users_country.html

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4] >
Suggestion for KudoZ: Show a flag instead of a user's country
Thread poster: Yaotl Altan
Yaotl Altan
Yaotl Altan  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 05:24
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Oct 24, 2007

I propose to set a small banner under the translator's name or nickname. I think the interface sill be improved using this graphic instead of letters. When we focus the mouse over the flag, the country's name will be displayed or not, according to users' preferences.

What do you think?

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2007-10-24 16:22]

Maria Diaconu
Maria Diaconu  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 14:24
English to Romanian
Why? Oct 24, 2007

I really can't learn the flags... That could be frustrating.

Juan Jacob
Juan Jacob  Identity Verified
Mexico
French to Spanish
+ ...
Well... Oct 24, 2007

...why not?
But: wich flag will YOU put on your profile, my dearest compadre?

Maurice Claypole
Maurice Claypole  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 13:24
German to English
No flags please Oct 24, 2007

Nice idea in principle but apart from the lack of instant recognition in many cases, the main problem is that flags are political, whereas a locations and origins are statements of fact, not allegiance. Also many countries - e.g. the UK - have more than one flag.

Angeliki Papadopoulou
Angeliki Papadopoulou  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 14:24
English to Greek
+ ...
Not a good idea! Oct 24, 2007

Politics notwithstanding, only a few flags are instantly recognizable!

mediamatrix (X)
mediamatrix (X)
Local time: 07:24
Spanish to English
+ ...
Did I miss something? Oct 24, 2007

Maurice Claypole wrote:

... the UK [has] more than one flag.

Did miss something? Tell me more, please!

mediamatrix (X)
mediamatrix (X)
Local time: 07:24
Spanish to English
+ ...
Real estate Oct 24, 2007

I challenge anyone here to distinguish the flags of Nicaragua, Honduras, Argentina and El Salvador in an image consuming anything less than 3 sq. cm of screen space (always assuming people know which is which anyway...). In contrast, the names of those countries take barely 1 sq. cm.

Our screens are already cluttered quite sufficiently with unwanted ads without wasting yet more precious real estate with pictures which, belying the old adage, are worth far less than 1000 words - to
... See more
I challenge anyone here to distinguish the flags of Nicaragua, Honduras, Argentina and El Salvador in an image consuming anything less than 3 sq. cm of screen space (always assuming people know which is which anyway...). In contrast, the names of those countries take barely 1 sq. cm.

Our screens are already cluttered quite sufficiently with unwanted ads without wasting yet more precious real estate with pictures which, belying the old adage, are worth far less than 1000 words - to the point that they are less informative than the one, two or three words forming the names of the countries spelled out in full.

MediaMatrix
Collapse

Yaotl Altan
Mexico
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Learn Oct 24, 2007

Maria Diaconu wrote:

I really can't learn the flags... That could be frustrating.

That would be a way to learn them

Juan Jacob:

As I was raised in the chili and tequila land, I will choose the mexican flag. Sorry, Italy

Yaotl Altan
Mexico
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Oct 24, 2007

Maurice Claypole wrote:

...Also many countries - e.g. the UK - have more than one flag.

Wasn't Socrates the greek philosopher who said human beings are a political animal (zoon)? Many actions could be considered political according to everyone's point of view ..even our defense for better rates.

If people in Wales or Scotland want to show those flags, why not? It's a free world.

Anyway, thank you very much for sharing your opinion.

[Modificato alle 2007-10-24 18:48]

Astrid Elke Witte
Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 13:24
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Quite a nice idea, I think Oct 24, 2007

And I'm sure it cannot do anyone any harm to learn to recognise the flags.

Anyhow, Trados uses flags for the languages, and that does not seem to be a political problem.

Astrid

Juan Jacob
Juan Jacob  Identity Verified
Mexico
French to Spanish
+ ...
Well... Oct 24, 2007

...I didn't know that the U.K. has more than one flag. Is it so or did I missed something at school?

Enrique Cavalitto
Enrique Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 08:24
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
A possible problem Oct 24, 2007

Flags have an associated emotional value.

Members born in one country and living in another may feel unhappy showing the flag of the country of residence instead of the one from their native land.

Regards,
Enrique

Yaotl Altan
Mexico
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not hard Oct 24, 2007

mediamatrix wrote:

Our screens are already cluttered quite sufficiently with unwanted ads without wasting yet more precious real estate with pictures which, belying the old adage, are worth far less than 1000 words - to the point that they are less informative than the one, two or three words forming the names of the countries spelled out in full.

MediaMatrix

Look at this example. When you focus over any flag, it displays the country name.

http://es.fifa.com/worldfootball/ranking/lastranking/gender=m/fullranking.html
1.- Argentina

http://es.fifa.com/worldfootball/ranking/lastranking/gender=m/fullranking.html#confederation=0&rank=162&page=2
55.- Honduras flag uses a different blue.

[Modificato alle 2007-10-24 18:59]

Yaotl Altan
Mexico
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Reply Oct 24, 2007

Enrique wrote:

Flags have an associated emotional value.

Members born in one country and living in another may feel unhappy showing the flag of the country of residence instead of the one from their native land.

Regards,
Enrique

But that doesn't seem to be a problem with many examples in this site.

There are Italian translators working in Poland show "Poland", Swedish translators in Mexico show "Mexico", Argentinean translators show "Italy" if they live there, etc.

Astrid's example was great. If TRADOS do it, why can't we?

Best regards.

Yaotl Altan
Mexico
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
UK Oct 24, 2007

Juan Jacob wrote:

...I didn't know that the U.K. has more than one flag. Is it so or did I missed something at school?

Well, Uk has only one flag. It comprises the island of Great Britain, the north-east part of the island of Ireland and many small local islands.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UK

Great Britain is no longer a country, but simply an island in the United Kingdom. Politically, "Great Britain" describes the combination of England, Scotland, and Wales, and there...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Britain

By the way, as far as I know you were raised in Belgium but live in Mexico. Which flag would you use? Regards!

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Suggestion for KudoZ: Show a flag instead of a user's country

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »