Thread poster: Uldis Liepkalns
two2tango
two2tango  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 07:51
English to Spanish
+ ...
Before you kill the sender read this Jun 7, 2003

It is important to know that the apparent virus sender is most probably innocent. I found this information that could help avoid many a misunderstanding:

"The BugBear.b: worm looks for e-mail addresses in resident files in the infected computer and then uses them to generate both the "From" and the "To" fields of the mail it uses to propagate itself.

In other words, when you get an infected mail, it doesn't mean that the apparent sender's computer is infected. In fact
... See more
It is important to know that the apparent virus sender is most probably innocent. I found this information that could help avoid many a misunderstanding:

"The BugBear.b: worm looks for e-mail addresses in resident files in the infected computer and then uses them to generate both the "From" and the "To" fields of the mail it uses to propagate itself.

In other words, when you get an infected mail, it doesn't mean that the apparent sender's computer is infected. In fact it means that both addresses (To and From) were found in the infected computer. "
Source:
http://www.alertalab.com.ar/alertalab/default.asp
(a good on-line free Spanish-language virus report)
Collapse

Milos Prudek
Milos Prudek  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 12:51
English to Czech
+ ...
Clarification of Draconian measures Jun 15, 2003

Rick Henry wrote:

that´s a pretty Draconian way of looking at things.
First, we´re talking about desktops and laptops, not servers or mainframes. I highly doubt most people using PCs for translation purposes are going to have an administrator at their disposal (unless they work for a huge translation agency).

An administrator and a user may be the same person in case of a desktop computer. I was suggesting that even in that case such single user should work in "restricted" mode, and assume "administrator" role only when needed.

Most desktop PCs in homes are used by the whole family, and in that case there is an administrator - it is the most computer-savvy member of the family. Not a computer professional - just a person trusted by the family.

As for scripts, I'm afraid that you are wrong. Scripts do not have to be executable in order to run. Any script may be run if you can call the interpreter, because a script is simply a data file. To prevent that, extra steps would have to be taken.

Anyway, I guess that less than 5% of translators want and are able to write scripts.

I agree that the policy I described is a strict one, and I agree that computers are here to serve us. However, viruses are quite a plague to productivity. In my view each computer user has a choice these days. (1) Use Windows and get infected within 6 month EVEN with the best antivirus, because recent viruses spread much faster than antivirus updates. (2) Use Linux without any special configuration. This will eliminate virus threat for your computer for the foreseeable future, because no virus can damage current Linux versions, and there were only two viruses in the past for Linux. (3) Use restricted configuration that I described and be 100% safe now and forever.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Urgently update your antiviruses

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »