gianfranco
gianfranco  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 20:05
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
Jul 30, 2004

Please use this thread to ask or exchange information and tips regarding accommodation arrangements, hotels, prices, bookings, B&B, to organize shared accommodations, etc...

Gianfranco
ProZ.com Team

The event page: http://www.proz.com/powwow/567

gianfranco
Brazil
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Some accommodations... Jul 30, 2004

I'm phoning around Oxford to find some suitable accommodations to post here...

COLLEGES
All colleges are full with students (it is term time) and offer no accommodation to guests on the dates of our event.

FIVE MILE VIEW GUEST HOUSE
Address: 528 Banbury Road, Oxford, OX2 8EG
Tel: (01865) 558747
Fax: (01865) 558747
Email:[email protected]

Visit: Not yet visited.
No guarantee on quality or look.
Any update will be posted here

Availability:

1 single at £60 per night
4 doubles at £50 (for 1 person) and £60 (for 2 persons)

Visited: Not yet (no report available yet on decor or look)

Page updated: 5 Aug/

COLLEGE GUEST HOUSE
Address: 103 - 105 Woodstock Road, Oxford, OX2 6HL
Tel: (01865) 552579
Fax: (01865) 311244

Location: round the corner, 1-2 minutes walking distance from the College!!!

Availability:

4 doubles, en suite, at £70
2 family room (3 beds), en suite, £80
4 single, no en suite bathroom, £40

BROWN'S GUEST HOUSE
Address: 281 Iffley Road, Oxford, OX4 4AQ
Tel: (01865) 246822
Fax: (01865) 246822
Email:[email protected]

Location: about 30-35 mins walking distance from the College, taxi necessary unless you are keen to trek across Oxford center (which is not unpleasant anyway...)

Availability:

4 single at £35 per night
(bathroom is shared for each two single rooms)
4 doubles or twins at £70

Exploring other accommodations...

I'm working my way on this list:
http://www.visitoxford.org/oxford/accom.nsf/search?openform
trying to find some larger hotel, even out of town, hopefully not too far.
I will post here in the next days...

NOTE:

• When contacting these Hotels / B&B / Guest houses, mention my surname (Manca), as the rooms are pre-booked under this name for a limited period of time
  • None of the rooms has been firmly booked. It must be done by you individually
  • We will not make reservations on your behalf
  • Don't expect to find them free for long... The sooner you book and the more likely you are to have a room
  • If you take any of these rooms let me know and I will update their record above
  • If they fill up their availability, let me know, and I will take the name off this page
  • I'll try to visit all of them as soon as possible and post my impressions, a quick report on decor and general look

Gianfranco
    ProZ.com Team

• Dr Andrew Read
    Dr Andrew Read  Identity Verified
    United Kingdom
    Local time: 00:05
    German to English
    + ...
    A website tip for accommodation Jul 30, 2004

An excellent UK website for reasonably priced guest house and B&B accommodation is www.smoothhound.co.uk

You simply look up the details and contact the places directly by email or phone. Bear in mind that any places that have been awarded stars or diamonds or points or whatever by the AA, the RAC or the ETB (English Tourist Board) have been independently checked, and so you may be assured of bet
    ... See more
    An excellent UK website for reasonably priced guest house and B&B accommodation is www.smoothhound.co.uk

You simply look up the details and contact the places directly by email or phone. Bear in mind that any places that have been awarded stars or diamonds or points or whatever by the AA, the RAC or the ETB (English Tourist Board) have been independently checked, and so you may be assured of better quality.
    Collapse

Patricia Posadas
    Patricia Posadas  Identity Verified
    Spain
    English to Spanish
    + ...
    Looking for Accommodation Jul 30, 2004

Hi, I'll be going (hopefully) and would like any info on "cheap" accomodation over there... Could something be booked at the same place for several of us so that we don't find ourselves lost in the middle of the ... night(?) after working hard all day long?!!! I mean it would be nice to have breakfast together, walk together to the place, etc.

If there are 250 of us and some 150 or more may need accomodation, I think a
    ... See more
    Hi, I'll be going (hopefully) and would like any info on "cheap" accomodation over there... Could something be booked at the same place for several of us so that we don't find ourselves lost in the middle of the ... night(?) after working hard all day long?!!! I mean it would be nice to have breakfast together, walk together to the place, etc.

If there are 250 of us and some 150 or more may need accomodation, I think a group solution should be found... Also, we could get a good price if we are a group.

An option to register with accommodation included would be great!

Will register as soon as I get my new Visa card, I lost it a few days ago:-(

A great idea anyway!

Patricia
    Collapse

gianfranco
    Brazil
    Member (2001)
    English to Italian
    + ...
    TOPIC STARTER
    Accomodation group arrangement Jul 30, 2004

Patricia Posadas wrote:
    If there are 250 of us and some 150 or more may need accomodation, I think a group solution should be found... Also, we could get a good price if we are a group.

An option to register with accommodation included would be great!

Patricia,

I'll try to contact, and visit, a number of places to list and recommend, but ProZ.com is not able to offer an on-line booking service for accomodations to the participants.

It may be possible that I manage to close some kind of arrangement or reservation for a number of rooms in convenient hotels and B&B, for the reason that you have described (stay together with a group of colleagues, reach the Conference together, go back together in the evenings, perhaps share a taxi, etc.)

I will post any news on this thread, as soon as possible.

Gianfranco

Dr Andrew Read
    Dr Andrew Read  Identity Verified
    United Kingdom
    German to English
    + ...
    Accommodation booking Jul 30, 2004

Note to Gianfranco and to Patricia:

This page gives contact details for the city's own accommodation booking service. They may be able to make some group booking arrangements and provide a contact that delegates could get in touch with f
    ... See more
    Note to Gianfranco and to Patricia:

This page gives contact details for the city's own accommodation booking service. They may be able to make some group booking arrangements and provide a contact that delegates could get in touch with for confirming their bookings:

http://www.oxford.gov.uk/oxford/tourism.nsf/leadpages/Accommodation?OpenDocument&Start=1&Count=99&Expand=1
    Collapse

gianfranco
    Brazil
    Member (2001)
    English to Italian
    + ...
    TOPIC STARTER
    I'll contact them Jul 30, 2004

Andrew

thank you very much, I will contact them and check if they can reserve some rooms for out group.

There is still plenty of time, and we may manage to take some rooms (about 25-30) in a single place, for the participant's convenience, and then we monitor how fast they are taken and decide what to do next...

Gianfranco

Gillian Searl
    Gillian Searl  Identity Verified
    United Kingdom
    German to English
    What about the colleges? Aug 1, 2004

If the conference is out of term time the colleges also rent out their rooms, don't they? Is there any way to arrange agroup deal via the colleges themselves?

gianfranco
    Brazil
    Member (2001)
    English to Italian
    + ...
    TOPIC STARTER
    Colleges are full with students Aug 1, 2004

Unfortunately on that date the colleges are full of student.

During the summer and in the gaps between terms we could have found accomodations in the colleges.

Gianfranco

Rod Darby (X)
    Rod Darby (X)  Identity Verified
    Ghana
    Local time: 23:05
    German to English
    + ...
    @ Gillian Aug 2, 2004

Gillian Noameshie wrote:

If the conference is out of term time the colleges also rent out their rooms, don't they? Is there any way to arrange agroup deal via the colleges themselves?

You're not exactly wrong, but you'll have to do it yourself. That weekend is the end of 8th week, i.e. the end of traditional term, but things have changed in Oxford since my day (OK: 1962-65!), and a lot of undergraduates (we don't call them "students") now seem to stay up into 9th week. And also they now do graduation ceremonies (I believe they even throw their mortar boards in the air - comes from watching too much American TV) and there is one that weekend. I managed to get the last (single) room in my college, but you might have luck somewhere else, maybe St. Anne's, Lady Margaret Hall or Somerville (all former ladies' colleges not too far from St. Hugh's).

Failing that, all the colleges have lists of recommended B&Bs etc., and if you send me a fax number, I'll fax you St. Hugh's list (it's on - ugh! - paper).

Rod

Karsten Kruschke
    Karsten Kruschke
    Local time: 01:05
    English to German
    + ...
    Hostels at Oxford Aug 19, 2004

Hello everybody,

I just found this website http://www.hostelsweb.com/cities/oxford.html and booked a bed in a 4-bed room in the "Oxford Backpacker's Hostel" for 16.00 GBP per night. The hostel is right in the town center between the bus and train stations and they have a 24 hour reception. Might be a good idea for everybody who wants to save some money. Maybe we can fill some roo
    ... See more
    Hello everybody,

I just found this website http://www.hostelsweb.com/cities/oxford.html and booked a bed in a 4-bed room in the "Oxford Backpacker's Hostel" for 16.00 GBP per night. The hostel is right in the town center between the bus and train stations and they have a 24 hour reception. Might be a good idea for everybody who wants to save some money. Maybe we can fill some rooms with conference attendees.

Karsten
    Collapse

BridgetC
    BridgetC
    United Kingdom
    French to English
    I may have a room Aug 21, 2004

Hi,

Its possible I may have a room free in my house, but I won't be able to confirm this until November, so I guess it would be strictly for last minute arrangements !

My email address is: [email protected]

Charge would be £15.00/night. I will be going to the conference, though travelling in on the bus (a direct route which takes about 20mins on a Saturday morning).

Br
    ... See more
    Hi,

Its possible I may have a room free in my house, but I won't be able to confirm this until November, so I guess it would be strictly for last minute arrangements !

My email address is: [email protected]

Charge would be £15.00/night. I will be going to the conference, though travelling in on the bus (a direct route which takes about 20mins on a Saturday morning).

Bridget

PS: to those who have written to me making enquiries about the room. As I have said above I won't know if the room will be free until first week in November. Sorry !

[Edited at 2004-09-05 19:59]
    Collapse

Johanna Holmberg (X)
    Johanna Holmberg (X)  Identity Verified
    Local time: 01:05
    English to Swedish
    + ...
    YHA Oxford Aug 24, 2004

In addition to the backpackers' hostel that Karsten mentioned there is also a YHA hostel near the railway station (http://www.youth-hostels-in.com/hostels/yha-oxford-england.htm). I've arranged to stay there myself.

Brigith Guimarães
    Brigith Guimarães  Identity Verified
    Portugal
    Member (2003)
    English to Portuguese
    + ...
    vacancies Sep 3, 2004

Hello, everybody

I just booked a single for me in Woodstock Road, close to St Hughs and from all the enquiries I sent, I know that - AT THIS MOMENT - the following places still have vacancies, if you wish to get in touch:

EUROBAR HOTEL OXFORD ([email protected])
    Tilbury Lodge ([email protected])
    Beaumont Guest House ([email protected])
    Chestnuts Guest House"
    Casavilla oxford
    ... See more
    Hello, everybody

I just booked a single for me in Woodstock Road, close to St Hughs and from all the enquiries I sent, I know that - AT THIS MOMENT - the following places still have vacancies, if you wish to get in touch:

EUROBAR HOTEL OXFORD ([email protected])
    Tilbury Lodge ([email protected])
    Beaumont Guest House ([email protected])
    Chestnuts Guest House"
    Casavilla oxford

source: www.oxfordcity.co.uk

hope to have been of help

[Edited at 2004-09-03 13:37]

[Edited at 2004-09-03 16:11]
    Collapse

Kirsten Schulze
    Kirsten Schulze  Identity Verified
    United Kingdom
    English to German
    Accomodation in nearby Reading Sep 7, 2004

I live in Reading now, have a sofabed in the living room and could therefore accommodate one or two people. (There might even be a possibility for a third person if I haven't found a person to share the house with by then...)
    Please send e-mail or phone me.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
    Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

ProZ.com Convention 2004: ACCOMMODATION INFO

TM-Town
    Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
    Protemos translation business management system
    Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »