Anyone from Toronto that may recommend an inexpensive lodging option during the ATA conference?
Thread poster: Lorenia Rincon
Lorenia Rincon
Lorenia Rincon  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 05:46
English to Spanish
+ ...
Sep 4, 2004

Hello everybody!

I am interested in attending the 45th ATA Conference in Toronto during the month of October. Can anyone help me recommending inexpensive options for lodging during my stay? I will know next week for sure if I am going but I need to have all of the information ready since it will be a "scholarship" and they need to have all the info right away.

Thank you from Cancun, Mexico

Johanna Timm, PhD
Johanna Timm, PhD  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 04:46
English to German
+ ...
Check this site... Sep 5, 2004

www.hostels.com/ca.on.to.html
The site lists inexpensive Hostels, most of them located in the heart of downtown Toronto.
I used to live in Toronto (for 6 years,) and our little house was close to UofT and Kensington Market.
I can recommend the College Hostel (listed on the site above, and right at Kensington Market & Chinatown). A single room is CAN $ 49.00.
Good luck,
... See more
www.hostels.com/ca.on.to.html
The site lists inexpensive Hostels, most of them located in the heart of downtown Toronto.
I used to live in Toronto (for 6 years,) and our little house was close to UofT and Kensington Market.
I can recommend the College Hostel (listed on the site above, and right at Kensington Market & Chinatown). A single room is CAN $ 49.00.
Good luck,
johanna
Collapse

Lorenia Rincon
Lorenia Rincon  Identity Verified
Mexico
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks!!!! Sep 5, 2004

Thank you very much Joanna!

I am looking at the info right now and it is very useful,can you tell me if this College Hostel is far from: The Sheraton Centre,located at 123 Queen Street West, which is the site for the ATA Conference? do you know about cab fares? everything will be helpful to calculate expenses. Thanks a million.

Johanna Timm, PhD
Johanna Timm, PhD  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 04:46
English to German
+ ...
Some more info Sep 5, 2004

Hi again,
I'm glad you seem to like the hostel idea. When I travel by myself, I usually try to economize and stay in youth hostels - it's much more fun, and most of them have private rooms these days. Fancy hotels don't do it for me, I'd much rather spend my money in a bookstore!

From the College Street Hostel you can walk down to Queen Street West (definitely worth a stroll)and then hop onto a streetcar going East. I'm sure the Hostel can give you exact directions.It's been
... See more
Hi again,
I'm glad you seem to like the hostel idea. When I travel by myself, I usually try to economize and stay in youth hostels - it's much more fun, and most of them have private rooms these days. Fancy hotels don't do it for me, I'd much rather spend my money in a bookstore!

From the College Street Hostel you can walk down to Queen Street West (definitely worth a stroll)and then hop onto a streetcar going East. I'm sure the Hostel can give you exact directions.It's been a while since my last visit in TO, so I'm not too sure about cab fares. Please check out the other accommodations on the website- most of them include guest 'reviews' re. cleanliness, noise, security, etc.

I've found a map that allows you to enter your destination (i.e. Sheraton Hotel); that will give you a pretty good idea about distances within the city.
http://www.city.toronto.on.ca/torontomaps/index.htm

A single adult fare for public transport (bus, streetcar, subway) is $ 2.25, a daypass $ 7.50.

Have fun,
johanna
Collapse

Marcus Malabad
Marcus Malabad  Identity Verified
Canada
German to English
+ ...
downtown Sep 5, 2004

Lorenia, any hostel/hotel that's downtown (south of Bloor, east of Bay, west of Yonge) is pretty much near the ATA conference site. You could even walk since Queen W is smackgob in the center of downtown. Look for places on Bay, University, Richmond, Church, King West, Adelaide. I live about 10 blocks away from Queen W and I'm there in about 15 minutes if I walk at a fast pace. Remember that Toronto is built for the pedestrian. A taxi ride, however, from my place to Queen W (10 blocks) would cos... See more
Lorenia, any hostel/hotel that's downtown (south of Bloor, east of Bay, west of Yonge) is pretty much near the ATA conference site. You could even walk since Queen W is smackgob in the center of downtown. Look for places on Bay, University, Richmond, Church, King West, Adelaide. I live about 10 blocks away from Queen W and I'm there in about 15 minutes if I walk at a fast pace. Remember that Toronto is built for the pedestrian. A taxi ride, however, from my place to Queen W (10 blocks) would cost around C$7-10+tip depending on time of day.

Marcus

[Edited at 2004-09-05 05:42]
Collapse

PB Trans
PB Trans

Local time: 12:46
French to English
+ ...
Ride to/from Pearson airport Sep 5, 2004

Lorenia,

A taxi ride from Pearson Aiport to downtown Toronto will cost about $45.

Cheaper option here (bus): http://www.torontoairportexpress.com The bus goes directly to the Sheraton Centre.

Enjoy your stay!

Margaret Schroeder
Margaret Schroeder  Identity Verified
Mexico
Spanish to English
+ ...
Hotel location and transit information Sep 10, 2004

Here is the conference site location: http://tinyurl.com/4llhl

Here is the Toronto transit system: http://www.city.toronto.on.ca/ttc/pdf/rideguide.pdf (You can enlarge the map in your pdf viewer.) The downtown area is in square N-13. Here is an
... See more
Here is the conference site location: http://tinyurl.com/4llhl

Here is the Toronto transit system: http://www.city.toronto.on.ca/ttc/pdf/rideguide.pdf (You can enlarge the map in your pdf viewer.) The downtown area is in square N-13. Here is an index to transit schedules and route maps: http://www.city.toronto.on.ca/ttc/schedules/index.htm There is an airport express bus running between the airport and Kipling subway station. It is called "192 Airport Rocket S" (select it at "2. Surface Route Maps & Schedules" at the left of the page to see the schedule.)

[Edited at 2004-09-10 16:53]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Anyone from Toronto that may recommend an inexpensive lodging option during the ATA conference?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »