World's First Non-market Translation Forum, Trommons '14, London, 3rd and 4th of November, 2014.
Thread poster: Bahar C. Muller
Bahar C. Muller
Bahar C. Muller
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:27
English to Turkish
Oct 14, 2014

Trommons '14 - The Translation Commons Forum is the world's first non-market Translation and Localisation Forum and will take place this November in London, England.

You are all invited to discover and engage.

Come help us show that everyone deserves a voice in their own language!

Language for the Rest of Us

Some 5 billion people on Earth today have inadequate or no access to critical information - about healthcare, food, security, and more - b
... See more
Trommons '14 - The Translation Commons Forum is the world's first non-market Translation and Localisation Forum and will take place this November in London, England.

You are all invited to discover and engage.

Come help us show that everyone deserves a voice in their own language!

Language for the Rest of Us

Some 5 billion people on Earth today have inadequate or no access to critical information - about healthcare, food, security, and more - because of one simple problem: it's not available in their language. Lots of companies and individuals today are enabling a global conversation through translation and other means for the world's richest 20%. But the other 80% are struggling to hear and be heard. It's time to change that.

If you believe in information equality for everyone in the world, this is your event. Join us in London for 2 days of engaging, exploring, and learning how we can make a difference.

Shape the Event
Visit the forum website to join in the conversation and have your say on the themes that will be discussed over the two days of the event. Contribute to the forum White Papers and help us make sure that Trommons '14 achieves its full potential!

Visit the page for more information: http://www.localisation.ie/forum/
Collapse

The Misha
The Misha
Local time: 03:27
Russian to English
+ ...
I do believe in information equality for everyone - but not at my own expense Oct 14, 2014

This is one of them translate-for-free-and-save-the-world come-ons, right? Count me out.

Bahar C. Muller
Bahar C. Muller
United Kingdom
English to Turkish
TOPIC STARTER
World's First Non-market Translation Forum, Trommons '14, London, 3rd and 4th of November, 2014. Oct 15, 2014

Hello Misha! Yes, this is exactly what it is

I understand your reluctance to participate but right now they have 6000 language volunteers happy to dedicate their time to make positive change by offering their professional talents.

I help them spread the word as well on my free time and last week there was a Google ads professional, volunteering to give advice.

It's for people or charities w
... See more
Hello Misha! Yes, this is exactly what it is

I understand your reluctance to participate but right now they have 6000 language volunteers happy to dedicate their time to make positive change by offering their professional talents.

I help them spread the word as well on my free time and last week there was a Google ads professional, volunteering to give advice.

It's for people or charities who cannot afford the translation services after all.

However, I added this announcement for everyone really.

Not only to people who sympathise with this organisation's mission but also for people who have concerns about the abuse of labour in anyway.

You'd be more than welcome to join the event and raise your questions. It's the whole point of this forum - which by the way, I'd like to stress again, the world's first NON-MARKET language event.

Thanks in advance to everyone for their time.

Also, for those who can't attend I'd like to add that I can take notes and pass your ideas during the event if u like so please visit the event's page for more info and feel free to contact me.

All the best to you all,
Bahar
Collapse

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
TWB Oct 15, 2014

In what way does this differ from the work done pro bono by translators for Translators Without Borders? Are they in competition somehow?

Bahar C. Muller
Bahar C. Muller
United Kingdom
English to Turkish
TOPIC STARTER
World's First Non-market Translation Forum, Trommons '14, London, 3rd and 4th of November, 2014. Oct 16, 2014

Thank you for asking Sheila!

When the charities are concerned I think competition is irrelevant as they are not working towards profit. There is so much work to do in the world to fight against inequality, disease, wars and what not so why there should be one organisation to help with translation work, right? There are a lot of organisations that work towards raising awareness for cancer for example.

Both Rosetta and Translatos Without Borders work towards the same end
... See more
Thank you for asking Sheila!

When the charities are concerned I think competition is irrelevant as they are not working towards profit. There is so much work to do in the world to fight against inequality, disease, wars and what not so why there should be one organisation to help with translation work, right? There are a lot of organisations that work towards raising awareness for cancer for example.

Both Rosetta and Translatos Without Borders work towards the same end, maybe with different approaches within the running of the organisations and maybe they would collaborate in some way in the future. I think there is a lot of room for improvement in this field anyway.

Also, another difference is The University of Limerick in Ireland has developed a platform especially for language volunteers to come together and own the project in a way and to build strong and sustainable relationships among participants. It's called Trommons, short for Translation Commons.

I hope this answer your question but feel free to join us next week in the forum if you can to learn more and discuss.

Thanks again for your interest and your time!
Collapse

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: forum post not in line with forum rule http://www.proz.com/siterules/forum/13#13
Lucia Leszinsky
Lucia Leszinsky
SITE STAFF
Posts containing additional announcements are being removed May 28, 2015

Hello all,

In line with forum rule #13, http://www.proz.com/siterules/forum/13#13, posts in this thread containing additional announcements (news, reminders, final calls, etc.) will be removed.

Thank you for your understanding and future cooperation.

Kind regards,

Lucia

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

World's First Non-market Translation Forum, Trommons '14, London, 3rd and 4th of November, 2014.

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »