Magda Dziadosz  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 23:11
Member (2004)
English to Polish
+ ...
Aug 18, 2005

Dear All,
I am happy to announce that the 3rd ProZ.com Conference will take place in Kraków, Poland on November 25-26, 2005. Please visit the conference page for more details.
This is also an invitation to you all to propose your own presentations or focus group discussions during the ProZ.com Conference. Please post your suggestions here (with a brief content outline).
If a s
... See more
Dear All,
I am happy to announce that the 3rd ProZ.com Conference will take place in Kraków, Poland on November 25-26, 2005. Please visit the conference page for more details.
This is also an invitation to you all to propose your own presentations or focus group discussions during the ProZ.com Conference. Please post your suggestions here (with a brief content outline).
If a sufficient number of participants shows interest, we will try to insert your topic in the program, allocating a room and a time slot.

To register for the event, go to http://www.proz.com/conference/2

To stay updated on latest developments, please record your attendance on this page

Magda

PS Separate topics will be opened for discussing travel arrangements and social events.

[Edited at 2005-08-22 18:37]
Collapse

Stephanie Wloch
Stephanie Wloch  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Dutch to German
Congratulations Magda! :-) Aug 18, 2005

Dobrze!
I voted for Poland for many reasons although I have never been there. One advantage was that colleagues from countries like Romania, Russia can come there without problems (visum) and its much cheaper than for instance Germany?

Now I take a look at the program, I'm very curious.
Dovidzenja!
Steffi Wloch

Jeremy Smith
Jeremy Smith  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:11
Member (2003)
French to English
+ ...
Excellent Aug 19, 2005

I shall certainly be there (and celebrating my 30th birthday at the same time).

I would be interested in examining different forms of networking - particularly through the use of the Internet, be it via dedicated portals such as this one, or through the less structured, but seemingly effective, use of blogging translators linking up together and forming loose-knit "alliances".

Magda Dziadosz
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Steffi and Jeremy! Aug 22, 2005

Hope to see you in Kraków!

In the meantime, I opened a powwow board: http://www.proz.com/powwow/723 to record attendance and discuss accompanying social events. The board will also be used to announce new developments.

Stay tuned!

Magda

Csaba Ban
Csaba Ban  Identity Verified
Hungary
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
CAT trends Aug 23, 2005

A topic that would be interesting to many of us is the recent acquisition of Trados by SDLX.

I would be interested in a lecture that would outline what is to be expected for the freelance translator, what direction the development of the two software packages is expected to take, are we going to see a convergence in functionality, or SDLX will take over the market in the long run, etc.

regards from rainy Budapest,
Csaba

diana bb
diana bb  Identity Verified
Lithuania
Local time: 00:11
English to Lithuanian
+ ...
CAT tools, Wordfast and more Aug 24, 2005

Csaba Ban wrote:

A topic that would be interesting to many of us is the recent acquisition of Trados by SDLX.

I would be interested in a lecture that would outline what is to be expected for the freelance translator, what direction the development of the two software packages is expected to take, are we going to see a convergence in functionality, or SDLX will take over the market in the long run, etc.

regards from rainy Budapest,
Csaba

Yes, that would be interesting, even for a novice in CAT tools like myself.

As a novice, though, I would greatly appreciate a WORDFAST training session.

There's one more issue I would like to discuss at the conference, provided there are enough translators interested in it. That would be the role of the translator in translating cultural texts, especially those with a very strong local aspect to them (biographies, autobiographies, book reviews, etc.).

Regards,

Diana

Csaba Ban
Csaba Ban  Identity Verified
Hungary
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Workshop on new technical terminology Aug 24, 2005

Another idea that might be interesting:

Technical translators working in high-tech areas (mobile phones, digital cameras, computer hardware and software, etc.), but also in some other subject areas (E.g. current affairs), face a familiar dilemma every day: what shall we do with words and phrases that do not yet exist in our target languages? Ok, we do everything to search for any existing translations, but if everything fails, we have to "invent" a term.

If we are convi
... See more
Another idea that might be interesting:

Technical translators working in high-tech areas (mobile phones, digital cameras, computer hardware and software, etc.), but also in some other subject areas (E.g. current affairs), face a familiar dilemma every day: what shall we do with words and phrases that do not yet exist in our target languages? Ok, we do everything to search for any existing translations, but if everything fails, we have to "invent" a term.

If we are convinced that this is a good and appropriate term for this new concept, how can we make sure that other translators will use the same term?

What shall we do if a translation already exists, but it is clearly wrong or simply does not fit in well with the target language?

What if several possible translations already exist - how to choose which word we are going to use in our assignment?

How to promote "good practices", i.e. how to promote our new invention for this term?

A workshop discussion on this would be interesting and thought-inspiring.

Csaba

PS I may come up with some additional ideas later on...
Collapse

Stephanie Wloch
Stephanie Wloch  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Dutch to German
Marketing strategies - Specialization - Outsourcer Perspective Aug 27, 2005

How to promote "good practices", i.e. how to promote our new invention for this term?
A workshop discussion on this would be interesting and thought-inspiring.

Yes, I would like to attend such a workshop.

I just took a look at the last conference program in Oxford to get an idea about possible sessions
http://www.proz.com/conference/1

Very interesting indeed seemed to be:
"Marketing Your Freelance Translation Services" -Alex Eames
Take a look here and read the feedbacks at the end
of the page:
http://www.proz.com/conference/?session_id=2

Also interesting might be something like:
"Specializing for Fun and Profit"
http://www.proz.com/conference/?session_id=3

"Outsourcer Perspective" Bill Maslen Edward Potter
http://www.proz.com/conference/?session_id=4
Although I am not an outsourcer I am always eager
to learn about the difference between "translation supermarkets"
and. "niche/quality providers".

[Edited at 2005-08-27 19:27]

Erik Hansson
Erik Hansson  Identity Verified
Germany
Swedish
+ ...
Office organization Aug 27, 2005

Hi all,

There have already been many good suggestions here, but I would still like to add one more:

What about dicussing different ways of organizing and improve your work flow within your office (I'm now talking about one-man/woman-offices). There are many small methods which all summed up can save you lots of time, e.g. how to archive files, handling client data, doing invoicing etc. I now and then meet colleagues who would really need some good advice in that departm
... See more
Hi all,

There have already been many good suggestions here, but I would still like to add one more:

What about dicussing different ways of organizing and improve your work flow within your office (I'm now talking about one-man/woman-offices). There are many small methods which all summed up can save you lots of time, e.g. how to archive files, handling client data, doing invoicing etc. I now and then meet colleagues who would really need some good advice in that department

Many regards from outside Dresden
Erik

Erik Hansson
Technical translator DE-SV
Hansson Übersetzungen GmbH
Am Birkenwäldchen 38
D-01900 Bretnig-Hauswalde, Germany
Phone +49 - 3 59 52 - 321 07
Fax +49 - 3 59 52 - 322 02
E-Mail [email protected]
Internet www.hansson.de
Internet www.t-translators.net
Internet www.technical-translators.net
ProZ profile http://www.proz.com/pro/21654
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Word and Trados as tools for translators Aug 28, 2005

Following the discussions in Oxford I would like to suggest (and to offer) a workshop on Word as a tool for translators, especially dealing with formatting isues, using and creating styles, modifiyng them, copying them between documents, creating well (hopefully) formatted documents from scratch and adapting Word settings to your needs.
This should be followed with a session about using Word in conjunction with Trados, where the knowledge from the previous session may be very usefull.
... See more
Following the discussions in Oxford I would like to suggest (and to offer) a workshop on Word as a tool for translators, especially dealing with formatting isues, using and creating styles, modifiyng them, copying them between documents, creating well (hopefully) formatted documents from scratch and adapting Word settings to your needs.
This should be followed with a session about using Word in conjunction with Trados, where the knowledge from the previous session may be very usefull.

I´m not a professional trainer, but I imagine we could try to start a workshop or better two on those topics instead of a simple presentation, as it was held in Oxford.

Regards
Jerzy
Collapse

Marina Oliveira
Marina Oliveira  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 22:11
English to Portuguese
+ ...
No Conference Program link Aug 29, 2005

Hi All,

I can't seem to be able to get to the conference program. In the conference page I can only see the program legend and no link to it at all. Can anyone help me on that? I don't think it has to do with the browser I use, Mozilla Firefox, as I've always had access to any link in Proz.com.

Thanks in advance,
Marina

Steffen Walter
Steffen Walter  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
Programme not yet up on the page IMHO Aug 29, 2005

Hi Marina,

I am experiencing the same - this might be due to the fact that the programme has not yet been uploaded to/inserted in the conference page. Is this correct, Magda?

Steffen

Magda Dziadosz
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Draft program not uploaded yet Aug 29, 2005

Hi,
yes, the program is not yet finalised and it will probably take some time. Some elements will be shown soon, though, as soon as we discuss the details with propsective speakers.

So far, we received confirmation from Yves Champollion, the creator of Wordfast - he will run a WF workshop and also deliver a keynote speach! WF (and other CAT tools) have been always very high up on the wish list of particpants, so I hope it's a good news for everybody...
See more
Hi,
yes, the program is not yet finalised and it will probably take some time. Some elements will be shown soon, though, as soon as we discuss the details with propsective speakers.

So far, we received confirmation from Yves Champollion, the creator of Wordfast - he will run a WF workshop and also deliver a keynote speach! WF (and other CAT tools) have been always very high up on the wish list of particpants, so I hope it's a good news for everybody

Currently, we are working on how to best include suggestions submitted in this thread and by e-mail. Of course, proposals are still welcome, we can accomodate a lot more.

Please, stay tuned, I will post here (and on the PW page) as soon as the draft program is published.

Magda
Collapse

Peter Cox
Peter Cox  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
Fees Aug 30, 2005

Hi All,

I would welcome a discussion on fees, in particular on the differential rates applied for non-convertible pdf files, PowerPoint, paper source, out-of-hours work, etc.

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Announcing ProZ.com conference 2005: PROGRAM SUGGESTIONS

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »