Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Blowing the dust off! (English-French collaboration w/ catering college awarded a European "label")
Thread poster: Tony M

Tony M  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 14:49
French to English
+ ...
Dec 7, 2006

France, dateline 8th December 2006

Translation colleague Tony 'Dusty' is part of an English-French collaboration initiative with a local catering college in the French Limousin region, which has just been awarded a European "label" — one of only 20 to be awarded in France this year.

English ex-pats are being recruited as volunteers to help teach English to catering students and staff as part of an 'open up to Europe' drive --- not at all bad for a sleepy little provincial French town! A lot of official interest is being shown in this project, and Tony has been deeply involved in the behind-the-scenes planning and design work.

The award ceremony will take place in Rennes on 13th December, when Tony will be part of the team giving a presentation of the project.

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2006-12-07 09:45]

Direct link Reply with quote

ViktoriaG  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 08:49
English to French
+ ...
Good job Tony! Dec 7, 2006

Congratulations!

All the best!

[Edited at 2006-12-07 09:04]

Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
Congratulations! Dec 7, 2006

And thanks for posting! I like your copy...

French Foodie  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Bravo! Dec 7, 2006

Thanks for sharing the great news

Marie-Céline GEORG  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
Well done! Dec 7, 2006

That's an interesting initiative, Tony, congratulations.
Half my roots are in the Limousin (Creuse) so I'm always happy when I see some events in the region that show it's not a desert populated only by a few thousand cows...

Knowing how many English people have settled in the region, I think that everyone can benefit from such an exchange and it's a really good idea - it must be quite an organisation, too, so congratulations again for your work!

Marie-Céline

Giulia Barontini  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
Bravo Tony!!! Dec 7, 2006

Congratulations Tony, you deserve the best!

Auguri di cuore,

Giulia
xxxxx

France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Update Dec 11, 2006

Thanks to all those kind people above for their good wishes and generous comments!

Here's a FR site for the IUFM (who are hosting this event) that explains a little more about the 'label'.

I'll post more details here later, and apparently there may be some TV coverage, so I'll be sure and keep you posted!

PB Trans

Local time: 13:49
French to English
+ ...
Congrats Feb 1, 2007

Congratulations, Tony! I just saw the news in the January Newsletter.

Richard Benham  Identity Verified
France
German to English
+ ...
Well done, Tony! Sometimes it's OK when people put labels on you! Feb 1, 2007

A thoroughly deserved "label", I'm sure! Now tell us how you would translate "label" into English!

France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Feb 1, 2007

Thanks, Pina and Richard, for your kind words.

If I could figure out how to do it, I'd post a photo here as well (any advice gratefully received!)

Yes, Richard, that has always been a bit of a thorn in my side! I reckon "mark" is the best solution, along the lines of "BS kite mark" and "woolmark" etc.

But "language mark" doesn't exactly thrill the reader, does it?

Perhaps this is one case where keeping the FR "label" might be the best way out of it; as far as I can tell, the EU site it comes from hasn't managed to do any better...

It was great to see how our insignificant little establishment (one of a tiny minority of "vocational apprentice training centres", compared with all the schools and higher education establishments, i.e. forming part of National Education which we're not) managed to wow the jury with what is after all a very simple idea!

So much so, in fact, that our advice has been sought as consultants by other groups seeking to set up similar schemes elsewhere in the country.

Rachel Fell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:49
French to English
+ ...
Well done! Feb 1, 2007

Interesting to hear about it too:-)

Rachel

xxxBAmary  Identity Verified
Canada
English to Spanish
+ ...
Congratulations! Feb 1, 2007

Great work!

William [Bill] Gray  Identity Verified
Norway
Member (2006)
English
+ ...
Congratulations....!! Feb 1, 2007

Well done, Dusty. You are truly one of the GREAT players/actors/workers on the ProZ site, and this is obviously a well deserved award you have received.

Just read it in Henry's newsletter this evening.

Will we meet in Budapest later this year?

Bill

France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks (again!) Feb 1, 2007

Once again, thanks to Rachel, Mary, and Bill for your kind words — Bill, I'm still blushing from your generous compliment!

No, 'fraid I've no plans to go to Budapest this year — unless I win the Euromillions or something!

However, I look forward to continuing to see everyone out there on ProZ (and elsewhere) for a long time to come!

Well, unless my new career really takes off!

David Goward  Identity Verified
France
French to English
Bravo, Tony! Feb 2, 2007

Congrats on your award!
Last month, I was invited to a lunch by a small outfit in Les Sables d'Olonne (which unfortunately I couldn't attend) for whom I'd done a bit of translation work last summer. This business is run by an Irish guy and a French woman and language teaching is where their main focus lies, I believe. This guy teaches English to a group of "agents de restauration" who put on an annual meal in order to practise their English with invited ex-pats.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Alejandro Cavalitto[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Blowing the dust off! (English-French collaboration w/ catering college awarded a European "label")

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search