https://www.proz.com/forum/language_industry_events_announcements/74662-international_vs_regional_conferences.html

International vs. regional conferences
Thread poster: Helena Diaz del Real
Helena Diaz del Real
Helena Diaz del Real  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 05:51
German to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Jun 5, 2007

Hello!

I actually do not know if this is the right place to post my question, but I just hope so...

I wanted to know if there is still going to be held an international conference every year (or more...) in Europe or none. And if so, how is it going to be geographically located (as f.e. I am not able to fly around the world every year) and at the same time I understand that f.i. asian fellow translators would like to have an international conference held in their "neigh
... See more
Hello!

I actually do not know if this is the right place to post my question, but I just hope so...

I wanted to know if there is still going to be held an international conference every year (or more...) in Europe or none. And if so, how is it going to be geographically located (as f.e. I am not able to fly around the world every year) and at the same time I understand that f.i. asian fellow translators would like to have an international conference held in their "neighbourhood" (and same to the rest of the world).

As in result of Budapest, I indeed think there is a will, a wish and a need of such international conferences in Europe too...

I hope what I meant is "understable"...

Thank you very much and best wishes,
Helena
Collapse

Rebekka Groß (X)
Rebekka Groß (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:51
English to German
conference locations Jun 5, 2007

Helena1962 wrote:

Hello!

I wanted to know if there is still going to be held an international conference every year (or more...) in Europe or none. And if so, how is it going to be geographically located (as f.e. I am not able to fly around the world every year) and at the same time I understand that f.i. asian fellow translators would like to have an international conference held in their "neighbourhood" (and same to the rest of the world).

As in result of Budapest, I indeed think there is a will, a wish and a need of such international conferences in Europe too...

I hope what I meant is "understable"...

Thank you very much and best wishes,
Helena

Hi Helena

Thank you for supporting ProZ.com conferences.

Yes, there will still be international conferences in Europe though I can't promise at the moment that there will be one there every year. It is possible that in the future, international conferences may take place on other continents but there are no definite plans as yet. I would also hope that you continue to come to future regional events, too, as you already have done in Berlin and Edinburgh.

Conferences certainly wouldn't be the same without you

Regards

Rebekka

Helena Diaz del Real
Helena Diaz del Real  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 05:51
German to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
The definition of regional and international conference is very recent Jun 5, 2007

Rebekka Gross wrote:

Hi Helena

Thank you for supporting ProZ.com conferences.

I would also hope that you continue to come to future regional events, too, as you already have done in Berlin and Edinburgh.

Conferences certainly wouldn't be the same without you

Regards

Rebekka

Hi Rebekka!
Thank you very much for your nice and quick response!!!

Well I always have more than just a great time at the conferences and that's why I would like to keep attending them. However I am definetely not able to fly to Buenos Aires, Ontario or even Tokio (if ever) for an international conference. That's the reason of my question.

However, in Edinburgh and Berlin, both regional conferences, were not indeed talked only about either british/scottish, nor german matters, as imho there was not yet defined what is the difference between both, regional and internatinal conferences.

Now, when the definiton is made, I am afraid most probably (as far as I can say it now) I will not participate in the regional ones as the matters are not much interesting to me (f.e. I do not understand one single word in finish and I am not much interested, excuse me, on how taxes apply in Malta, nor the specific problems on the translationpair zulu to tagalo.) AND -very specially- much less "international flair among participants" will be found at them. This was for me a very, very important criteria to participate in a conference, in both either regional or international. Now this criteria may exclusively apply to international conferences, unfortunately...

Very nice greetings to you,
Helena

[Edited at 2007-06-05 11:51]

Rebekka Groß (X)
Rebekka Groß (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:51
English to German
target audience and "internationality" of regional conferences Jun 5, 2007

Helena1962 wrote:

Now, when the definiton is made, I am afraid most probably (as far as I can say it now) I will not participate in the regional ones as the matters are not much interesting to me (f.e. I do not understand one single word in finish and I am not much interested, excuse me, on how taxes apply in Malta, nor the specific problems on the translationpair zulu to tagalo.)

Yes, regional conferences are targeted at ProZ.com members who live in a specific country or region and the specific issues they are dealing with in their careers as freelance translators and I understand that tax issues in Malta are not relevant to someone living in Germany. However, similar sessions at a regional conference in Germany might be of interest to that same person. Also, these specific sessions will be complemented by more generic sessions, some of which may even be held in English, opening up possibilities for attendees from further afield.

Regional conferences are not meant to limit the range of attendees. On the contrary, they're meant to be opportunities for those who for whatever reason do not want to have to or cannot travel too far from their home/office or would not attend conferences where all sessions are held in English.

If people look at what's on offer at any given regional conference and also take into consideration the attraction of the location, they may find it is worth attending after all. At the end of the day that's an individual and subjective decision.

AND -very specially- much less "international flair among participants" will be found at them. This was for me a very, very important criteria to participate in a conference, in both either regional or international. Now this criteria may exclusively apply to international conferences, unfortunately...

Following my comments above, I don't think that the international flair will lost...I would not be at all surprised if regional conferences continued to be attended by ProZ.com members from every corner of the world.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

International vs. regional conferences

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »