ProZ.com event to be held in Montevideo, Uruguay in August
Thread poster: Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 16:02
SITE FOUNDER
Jan 3, 2008

Dear ProZians,

We are pleased to announce that a regional conference will be held in Montevideo, Uruguay in August. For information, see: http://www.proz.com/conference/23

This event will be organized by Fabio Descalzi. Feel free to contact him for questions and suggestions!

Fabio Descalzi
Fabio Descalzi  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 17:02
Member (2004)
German to Spanish
+ ...
A cherished dream - about to come true Jan 3, 2008

Dear Community

It seems yesterday when I first entered ProZ.com
It seems hours ago, since I first attended a Conference
It seems minutes ago, since I first attended (and organized) a Powwow
So... now it's time to try this.

The local community asks for it.
The region asks for it: Argentina and Uruguay are neighboring countries with lifelong bonds of close friendship and shared language and culture.
Brazil - lovely Brazil - there are Brazi
... See more
Dear Community

It seems yesterday when I first entered ProZ.com
It seems hours ago, since I first attended a Conference
It seems minutes ago, since I first attended (and organized) a Powwow
So... now it's time to try this.

The local community asks for it.
The region asks for it: Argentina and Uruguay are neighboring countries with lifelong bonds of close friendship and shared language and culture.
Brazil - lovely Brazil - there are Brazilians asking for it too.
And the list goes on. Including this or that European who asked for it too!

Feel free to suggest whatever you wish.
Feel free to bring your questions.

You are gladly invited!

Best regards,
Fabio Descalzi

[Edited at 2008-01-04 10:56]
Collapse

MariusV
MariusV  Identity Verified
Lithuania
Local time: 23:02
English to Lithuanian
+ ...
thanks for the info Jan 3, 2008

And my sincere congradulations to Fabio!

I have been dreaming for very long to visit South America (and especially these countries) and found a lot of reasons (work, and etc.) to postpone it. Maybe proz regional conference would be the the best reason to make that dream come true

Uldis Liepkalns
Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 23:02
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Congats, my friend Fabio Jan 4, 2008

And I wish you a great success!

Uldis

Clarisa Moraña
Clarisa Moraña  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:02
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Congrats! Jan 4, 2008

Count me in! I'll be there!
I love Montevideo!

Niraja Nanjundan (X)
Niraja Nanjundan (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:32
German to English
Great! Jan 4, 2008

All the best, Fabio! I'm sure your conference will be a success. I'd love to come, but it's a long way to travel from India! We'll see..

Best regards,
Niraja

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
Local time: 22:02
English to German
+ ...
just now took a check at the location.... Jan 4, 2008

in google earth .
http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=-34.889193,-56.065235&z=14&t=h&hl=de
sounds good and congratulations. Brandis

Fabio Descalzi
Fabio Descalzi  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Member (2004)
German to Spanish
+ ...
Registration is now open Mar 3, 2008

Dear ProZians

Since last Friday we have enabled the international payments system for the Regional Conference.

Prices are as follows:

- Student Members: USD 95 (including a bonus of 6 months Student Membership)

- Early bird for other participants: USD 145 till May 23rd (including a bonus of 6 months Professional Membership).

Are you interested? We will be gladly waiting for you!

Best regards,
Fabio Descalzi
... See more
Dear ProZians

Since last Friday we have enabled the international payments system for the Regional Conference.

Prices are as follows:

- Student Members: USD 95 (including a bonus of 6 months Student Membership)

- Early bird for other participants: USD 145 till May 23rd (including a bonus of 6 months Professional Membership).

Are you interested? We will be gladly waiting for you!

Best regards,
Fabio Descalzi
Organizer
http://www.proz.com/conference/23
Collapse

Phong Le
Phong Le  Identity Verified
Vietnam
Local time: 03:02
Vietnamese
+ ...
Great Fabio Mar 7, 2008

Hi Fabio,

Great to see you as a great organizer for the area of Uruguay and Brazil. I guess many Prozian enjoy the output of you as I enjoy your free advises.

Thank you very much for all your help. I wish to have you here in Vietnam to organize the like for Asia area.

The day will become true in 2008?

Wish you have a very successful conference.

L. Phong

[Edit
... See more
Hi Fabio,

Great to see you as a great organizer for the area of Uruguay and Brazil. I guess many Prozian enjoy the output of you as I enjoy your free advises.

Thank you very much for all your help. I wish to have you here in Vietnam to organize the like for Asia area.

The day will become true in 2008?

Wish you have a very successful conference.

L. Phong

[Edited at 2008-03-07 00:41]
Collapse

Walter Landesman
Walter Landesman  Identity Verified
Uruguay
English to Spanish
+ ...
From Regional to National Apr 30, 2008

Henry D wrote:

Dear ProZians,

We are pleased to announce that a regional conference will be held in Montevideo, Uruguay in August. For information, see: http://www.proz.com/conference/23

Hi Henry,

How come this Regional Conference turned into a National Event and just a few days after another similar conference and National Event in Argentina? (see http://www.proz.com/conference/?show_mode=conferences )

Walter Landesman
Uruguay
English to Spanish
+ ...
Satellite Symposiums May 11, 2008

When somebody wants to take advantage of some notorious profesional visiting the area, in order to lower or share costs, organizes a local event, a symposium or whatsover, as a satellite event, a preparatory conference, a few days after o before the main event.

This has not been the case here. Now, a NATIONAl Event with the same rank has been organized in Argentina before the ex-Regional one promoted in Uruguay.

That is completely wrong from any organization of con
... See more
When somebody wants to take advantage of some notorious profesional visiting the area, in order to lower or share costs, organizes a local event, a symposium or whatsover, as a satellite event, a preparatory conference, a few days after o before the main event.

This has not been the case here. Now, a NATIONAl Event with the same rank has been organized in Argentina before the ex-Regional one promoted in Uruguay.

That is completely wrong from any organization of congreses and the like point of view and unfair for those who were so excited and eager to take part in the first regional event here. Most unfair to those who already paid the fees for a Regional event that is not going to be so.

This is obvioulsy a mistake I want to beleive due to lack of experience. But there is time to amend it yet. Hope will do so.

:(
Collapse

Walter Landesman
Uruguay
English to Spanish
+ ...
Donwgrade May 11, 2008

Henry D wrote:
Dear ProZians,

Walter Landesman wrote:
Hi Henry,

How come this Regional Conference turned into a National Event and just a few days after another similar conference and National Event in Argentina? (see http://www.proz.com/conference/?show_mode=conferences )

I still consider this a downgrade for the original Regional (now National) Montevideo Conference. And worst of all is that nobody - not Henry, not anybody - has managed to even respond to my inquiries, not even an official answer or a so-called made up explanation. Nothing. It really makes me very mad.

I will serioulsy reconsider my attendance.:(:(

Leonardo Fus (X)
Leonardo Fus (X)  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
Conference May 12, 2008

Hi Walter,

Sorry, but you did get a reply from me in your Spanish posting.

And as said there, just comparing the duration, speakers, people involved, etc. makes no reasonable to think that we have downgraded or reduced our Uruguay Conference.

And again, I would think in the huge effort done (we have been working on this Uruguay Conference since September last year, and I personally went to Montevideo to check places and ideas with Fabio) rather than compari
... See more
Hi Walter,

Sorry, but you did get a reply from me in your Spanish posting.

And as said there, just comparing the duration, speakers, people involved, etc. makes no reasonable to think that we have downgraded or reduced our Uruguay Conference.

And again, I would think in the huge effort done (we have been working on this Uruguay Conference since September last year, and I personally went to Montevideo to check places and ideas with Fabio) rather than comparing it with the efforts done in other countries.

Regards,

Leonardo Fusero
ProZ.com
Collapse

Walter Landesman
Uruguay
English to Spanish
+ ...
Still not a valid answer May 12, 2008

Yes, Leo, I did get a reply from you and I appreciated and thanked you.

But it was in the Spanish forum, a more reduced one that gets only to Spanish speakers, in a thread where you may still read it is a Regional Conference, in spite of being cuurently a National. Why is this change hidden? Why this secrecy?

And I haven`t gotten any reply from Henry yet, who started THIS thread announcing the Regional and -you wrere present then- also announced on the phone this was
... See more
Yes, Leo, I did get a reply from you and I appreciated and thanked you.

But it was in the Spanish forum, a more reduced one that gets only to Spanish speakers, in a thread where you may still read it is a Regional Conference, in spite of being cuurently a National. Why is this change hidden? Why this secrecy?

And I haven`t gotten any reply from Henry yet, who started THIS thread announcing the Regional and -you wrere present then- also announced on the phone this was going to be Regional in front of more than 50 people at the powwow in Montevideo.

I repeat, if for any reason anybody wants to organize a small symposium or course or mini-congress or whatsoever in the area taking advangate of well know visitors to the main Conference, the usual is to call them Satellite Events or preparatory Events, keeping the Regional or International or whathever title to the main even. Most of all when you already announced the Regional and charghed fees according to that kind.

Yes, I received your answer there (below), in Spanish. I also replied there, in Spanish, that it was usatisfactory and not enough and that it did not address my questions. That`s why I returned here.

What is the reason behind this? Why this change of heart? I feel really hurt and upset. And I am sure many of my uruguayan colleages are so too.

This is not serious.

Thank you for you time, Leo.
Kind regards.

Walter:(
Walter Landesman wrote:

Gracias por tu rápida respuesta, Leo. Por lo menos es una respuesta oficial. Henry sigue mudo.

Pero aún no responde mis inquietudes. Si la idea de Proz es "promover e internacionalizar nuestros eventos permitiendole el acceso a todos los ProZianos amigos no importa donde estén", el mecanismo correcto es realizar eventos satélites del evento central.

Eso es lo que se estila y hace en los Congresos profesionales. Un congreso Latinoamericano, por ejemplo, y un par de eventos, encuentros o seminarios satélite en la misma región con algunos de los invitados de otras regiones para aprovechar su estadía en la zona. Te hablo
desde una experiencia de 20 años de organización de congresos científicos.

No, aún no lo entiendo. Y menos por qué se le mantuvo casi en secreto.

Collapse

Walter Landesman
Uruguay
English to Spanish
+ ...
Everything`s fine now May 16, 2008

Well, it seems it was a misunderstanding, but all it is fixed now. www.Proz.com homepage states:

Upcoming ProZ.com offline events and online trainings
ProZ.com helps to organize a number of different translation related events such as regional and international conferences, powwows and translation related trainings.

May 23 Powwow: Montevideo, Uruguay 17 registrations
Aug 23 Pro
... See more
Well, it seems it was a misunderstanding, but all it is fixed now. www.Proz.com homepage states:

Upcoming ProZ.com offline events and online trainings
ProZ.com helps to organize a number of different translation related events such as regional and international conferences, powwows and translation related trainings.

May 23 Powwow: Montevideo, Uruguay 17 registrations
Aug 23 ProZ.com Regional Conference - Montevideo 75 registrations
6:00pm Powwow: St.Julians, Malta
Aug 16 Conferencia de ProZ.com en Argentina 7 registrations
Aug 30 Conferencia de ProZ.com en Chile

Thank you, Leo for your help and effort and putting up with me.

I know sometimes I can be a pain on the neck.
:)

See you all in August.

Walter
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

ProZ.com event to be held in Montevideo, Uruguay in August

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »