Law samples for my thesis
Thread poster: ebeatriz17
ebeatriz17
ebeatriz17
Local time: 15:52
English to Spanish
Sep 11, 2011

Hi friends.
I am a student and I am in my last cycle. I am working in my thesis and I need some law samples, my topic is:

"the use of translation memory in the law translations"

If someone has some information or a link about law translation or translation memory, I would thank you very much.

Thanks you.

Beatriz

Piero Intonti
Piero Intonti  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 22:52
Italian to English
+ ...
some suggestions on translation memory Sep 12, 2011

Hi Beatriz,
I'm Piero from Italy.
I can give you only some suggestions about the translation memory.
Following your posted answer, I don't understand if you know something about the concept of translation memory, about its function, usefulness and application.
If yes, good; if no, not so good. I’m joking.
On the market, there are two important CAT-tools, Computer tools with the aim of Assist the work of Translation.
These are TRADOS and WORDFAST and are used
... See more
Hi Beatriz,
I'm Piero from Italy.
I can give you only some suggestions about the translation memory.
Following your posted answer, I don't understand if you know something about the concept of translation memory, about its function, usefulness and application.
If yes, good; if no, not so good. I’m joking.
On the market, there are two important CAT-tools, Computer tools with the aim of Assist the work of Translation.
These are TRADOS and WORDFAST and are used, substantially, by translators to reduce time and enhance productivity in their work. In particular, they are based on two important concepts.
1) The segmentation, which is the division in smaller parts ( segments) of a text to be translated.
2) The translation memory, TM, which is a sort of container, in which the translated segments are recorded. This allows reutilizing the TM when the translator faces a new but similar translation.
In this case, the CAT-tool spares the translator to translate two times the same text.

CAT-tools, and TRADOS in particular which is a MUST within the translation industry, offer other functionalities , like the Quality-Check, which makes a sort of grammatical revision of the text translated.
Here I can suggest the links for Wordfast http://www.wordfast.com/ and Trados www.trados.com.
If you have to explain in your thesis the general function on a TM, I think you can search through “GOOGLE”. In my language there are some useful demonstrations by professors or utilizers.
I hope to have given help to you.
Good luck!!!
Piero.
Collapse

ebeatriz17
ebeatriz17
Local time: 15:52
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Thank Piero Sep 18, 2011

Hi Piero:
Thanks for helping me.
I have found information in the website you gave me.
Do you have any samples of legal documents? the source and the target
maybe, sentences.

Thanks a lot.

kalap (X)
kalap (X)
In addition to the message of Piero Sep 19, 2011

I think that bilingual terminology management is equally a must. Normally legal terminology is stabilized (generally the same words mean the same thing), and their translations are too; therefore it would be a pity if one doesn't benefit from this for translation. Practically, this means using the Concordance Search in the cat tool, having a bilingual glossary in the CAT tool and, ideally, having the glossary terms propagated.

As for examples, have a look at the conditions of sales
... See more
I think that bilingual terminology management is equally a must. Normally legal terminology is stabilized (generally the same words mean the same thing), and their translations are too; therefore it would be a pity if one doesn't benefit from this for translation. Practically, this means using the Concordance Search in the cat tool, having a bilingual glossary in the CAT tool and, ideally, having the glossary terms propagated.

As for examples, have a look at the conditions of sales of websites, and the conditions of use of software products. Normally they are translated into several languages. Use of translation memories is justified here because if wordings change then only those segments have to be translated.

When there is no source file (translation of diplomas, certificates, old court proceedings, proceedings of the other party, etc.), use of a CAT may not be possible; then the translator has to work directly from a PDF or a hard copy, just as in old times.
Collapse

Wendy Cummings
Wendy Cummings  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:52
Spanish to English
+ ...
EU website Sep 19, 2011

If what you want is examples of legal texts in two language, then your best option is probably the eu website www.europa.eu since they publish EU laws in all EU languages as standard.

You can either use their search function directly, or just search through Google for something like "EU Directive recycling" (pick a topic that there is likely to be legislation on!). You want HTML documents from the "eur-
... See more
If what you want is examples of legal texts in two language, then your best option is probably the eu website www.europa.eu since they publish EU laws in all EU languages as standard.

You can either use their search function directly, or just search through Google for something like "EU Directive recycling" (pick a topic that there is likely to be legislation on!). You want HTML documents from the "eur-lex" database. For any URL like this:

http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=CELEX:32002L0096:en:HTML

If you want to get translations, just change the "en" at the end to "es" for Spanish, "fr" for French etc.

I don't know what languages you require, but some Spanish laws have been translated into English on the website http://www.mjusticia.gob.es/cs/Satellite/en/1215198252168/DetalleInformacion.html; and some French laws have been translated at http://195.83.177.9/code/index.phtml?lang=uk
The translations are not always perfect, but it depends on your purposes.

These are only some samples of "legal texts" (depending on your definition, this may also extend to contracts, legal opinion and case law; however, it will be harder to find translations of these that are readily available).

Hope that helps.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Law samples for my thesis

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »