Thread poster: Alessia Scipione
Alessia Scipione
Alessia Scipione  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:31
English to Italian
+ ...
Mar 8, 2012

Hello fellow colleagues,

I am a qualified translator (English>Italian) currently taking an MA in Audiovisual Translation.
One of the topic for my next assignment (although it might sound weird) it is to translate 5 words taken out from a legal contract and write an essay motivating my Italian translation of the terms supporting my translated terminology choice with online researched sources and websites.
Those web sources have to be highly professional and trustable. <
... See more
Hello fellow colleagues,

I am a qualified translator (English>Italian) currently taking an MA in Audiovisual Translation.
One of the topic for my next assignment (although it might sound weird) it is to translate 5 words taken out from a legal contract and write an essay motivating my Italian translation of the terms supporting my translated terminology choice with online researched sources and websites.
Those web sources have to be highly professional and trustable.
Since I am not a legal translator I was wondering if any of you specialized in the legal field can advice me of good online dictionaries, web pages and legal content I can use to support my translation and to help me write my assignment. The websites and dictionaries have to refer to the following language combination: English>Italian.
Websites of trusted legal English terminology explanation with examples would also help.
Could you help me out?
Many thanks in advance.
Best regards,

Alessia
Collapse

Buck
Buck
Netherlands
Dutch to English
Use the Internet Mar 9, 2012

I'm not being critical, but you do have access to the Internet. The European Court of Justice's website is available in all Member State languages and is an excellent source of terminology. You might also try eurlex.eu, which contains all EU directives, regulations, conventions, etc.

Alessia Scipione
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks a lot Mar 9, 2012

Dear Buck,

Many thanks. Yes, I have to use the Internet, that is one of the tasks specified in my assignment. The only thing is that on the Internet you can find all sort of things which can be correct and incorrect, that is why I have been asking help regarding websites and online dictionaries I can trust. Since I am not a legal translator I was asking the colleagues that are specialized in the legal field.
Many
... See more
Dear Buck,

Many thanks. Yes, I have to use the Internet, that is one of the tasks specified in my assignment. The only thing is that on the Internet you can find all sort of things which can be correct and incorrect, that is why I have been asking help regarding websites and online dictionaries I can trust. Since I am not a legal translator I was asking the colleagues that are specialized in the legal field.
Many thanks. I will definitely check the websites you suggested.
Collapse

Gennady Lapardin
Gennady Lapardin  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 22:31
Italian to Russian
+ ...
Black's Law Dictionary - The most trusted law dictionary 2nd edition Mar 10, 2012

"Websites of trusted legal English terminology explanation with examples would also help."

This is one of (if not the only) most authoritative monolingual dictionaries of common law http://blackslawdictionary.org/

Daniela Zambrini
Daniela Zambrini  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
a different approach Mar 11, 2012

Hello, this glossary might be of interest for your research

http://www.cacccb.org.co/ingles/documentos/518_Glosario_multilingüe_de_italiano_jurídico.pdf

Quote from User notes

This glossary has been prepared by a business lawyer to help legal
professionals who are qualified in the English, French or Spanish languages to
understand contracts and other legal documents in Italian; for this reason,
Italian terms have been translated according to legal criteria rather than
linguistic or etymological criteria
Accordingly, the translation of each Italian term reflects the closest legal
concept (in English, French or Spanish) rather than the closest translation from
a linguistic standpoint.

Good luck
D.

Daniela Zambrini
Daniela Zambrini  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
helpful article Mar 11, 2012

I suggest you download the following article (59 pages, PDF file) by R. De Groot and C. Van Laer on "The Quality of Legal Dictionaries: An Assessment"

at http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=1287603

There is an annex to the article with an updated bibliography encompassing approximately 200 recently published bilingual and multilingual le
... See more
I suggest you download the following article (59 pages, PDF file) by R. De Groot and C. Van Laer on "The Quality of Legal Dictionaries: An Assessment"

at http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=1287603

There is an annex to the article with an updated bibliography encompassing approximately 200 recently published bilingual and multilingual legal dictionaries in the European Union.

Ciao,
D.
Collapse

Alessia Scipione
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Daniela Apr 20, 2012

Dear Daniela,

Many thanks.
I am sorry I am replying so late but I have been caught up in other assignments, now it is time for me to do this one.
Thanks a lot for the links, I find them very interesting and the second one it is definitely an excellent starting point for my academic research.

Best regards,

Alessia

Alessia Scipione
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
To Gennady Apr 20, 2012

Dear Gennady,

Many thanks, the glossary seems accurate and a 'trustable' font.

Best regards,

Alessia

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Legal terminology websites EN>IT

Translation news

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »