Thread poster: Alex Hughes

Alex Hughes  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:25
Spanish to English
+ ...
May 23, 2012

Good morning all,

I am looking for a book to help me improve my legal writing. Preferably it would cover everything (terminology, punctuation, common writing conventions, things that should be done, things that shouldn't be done, and overviews of different specialties and how to write for them) and include examples for all types of legal documents. I know this is a lot to ask of one book, so a selection of books would work as well.

Thank you very much for any suggestions!

Direct link Reply with quote

Sebastian Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 08:25
Member (2004)
German to English
+ ...
Bryan Garner has at least two that should come in handy May 23, 2012

http://www.amazon.com/Elements-Legal-Style-Bryan-Garner/dp/0195141628/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top/182-6807862-7003431

http://www.amazon.com/Legal-Writing-Plain-English-Exercises/dp/0226284182/ref=ntt_at_ep_dpt_1

Garner has served as editor-in-chief of the acclaimed Black's Law Dictionary since 1995, and he is the author of the grammar-and-usage chapter in the venerable Chicago Manual of Style.

[Edited at 2012-05-23 14:05 GMT]

Alex Hughes  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:25
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Sebastian May 23, 2012

I do have a copy of Legal Writing Plain English Exercises, and what I have read so far has helped me greatly. It sounds like the other book you recommended is more what I am looking for, since it covers standard legal conventions and not just exercises for improving clarity.

Rad Graban  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:25
English to Slovak
+ ...
Agree with Sebastian May 24, 2012

and would like to add "A Dictionary of Modern Legal Usage" (Garner). "A Grammar of Legal English" (ISBN: 978-80-8078-203-0) is not too bad either, but it's written by Slovak.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Resource: A good book on legal writing, terminology, and punctuation

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search