Cedomir Pusica  Identity Verified
Serbia
Local time: 18:35
Member (2009)
English to Serbian
+ ...
Jul 17, 2012

Hi everyone,

For some time now, I have been trying to understand the principle behind our local (Serbia) sworn translators appointment system, way of functioning, etc. and would like to compare it to the other countries.

I was wondering about the following:

1. What is your country's authority for appointing sworn translators?
2. Is this area regulated in your country?
3. Do you have an umbrella association that sets rates, provides recommendations, etc?
4. Are there any special requirements, workflows, etc?
5. Miscellaneous

I appreciate your feedback!

Joakim Braun  Identity Verified
Sweden
German to Swedish
+ ...
Sweden Jul 17, 2012

1. www.kammarkollegiet.se
2. Yes, "authorized translator" (which is the term here) its a protected professional title.
3. www.aukttranslator.se (membership is optional)
4. No.

José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 13:35
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Brazil Jul 17, 2012

Sworn translations are regulated by law, dated 1943.

Nationwide general information available at http://www.lamensdorf.com.br/faqs.html .

Details specific to the State of Sao Paulo (including statutory rates) interspersed with my personal practices on the sequel page, the link to it being at the end of this one.

Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:35
English to Spanish
+ ...
USA Jul 17, 2012

For the USA, the answer is "NONE" or "NO" to 1 through 5. But there are those of us who have certifications granted by various authorities for their own purposes that are valuable as credentials in general, though they are not required except within the specific jurisdiction of the authorities involved (court systems, etc.). Furthermore they almost always refer to interpreting, but they can be good credentials for establishing the credibility of translations as well.

For instance, I am certified as an interpreter by the U.S. Federal Courts where I have never worked. But that gives me a lot of credibility as a translator, which is my main business.

Magdalena Szewciów  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2008)
English to Polish
+ ...
Poland Jul 17, 2012

1. Ministry of Justice
2. Yes, under the following Act (note: I have not read the English version of the Act, this is for reference only)
3. Yes and no. There's TEPIS, but it neither sets the rates nor provides recommendations.
4. Apart from requirements related to the appointment, no.
5. Miscellaneous: there are two different sets of rates: 1) statutory rates applicable to work done for, say, courts, police, etc. that are 50% or even 70% (in case of interpreting) below free market prices (really. and they haven't been changed since 2004), 2) free market rates/prices. Wonder how it is elsewhere (a translator from Australia told me it was the other way around there, Down Undericon_wink.gif)

Inga Petkelyte  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 17:35
Lithuanian to Portuguese
+ ...
Portugal...:( Jul 17, 2012

You'll se why the sad mark:

1. None
2. No
3. Not really
4. No
5. Lots of talks about regulating this area, for ages now...

And the same for Lithuania, my native country, so I am stuck without a solution on this point. I have sworn at Portuguese courts for multiple times, and that helps when necessary.

LilianNekipelov  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:35
Russian to English
+ ...
Yes, I agree with Henry Hines Jul 17, 2012

There are no sworn translators of any kind in the United States. The translator just has to execute a Certificate of Accuracy before a Notary Public, which makes him or her liable by law as to the content of the translation. The translator could be sued if there are some serious mistakes in the translation. There are only Certified Court Interpreters, and the process to become on is really very hard.

Pete in Finland
Finland
Local time: 19:35
English to Finnish
+ ...
Finland Jul 18, 2012

1. The Finnish National Board of Education
2. Yes. (A law on authorized translators)

Cedomir Pusica  Identity Verified
Serbia
Member (2009)
English to Serbian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Many differences so far... Jul 18, 2012

Thank you for pointing them out systematically!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Sworn Translators in Different Countries

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running and helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search