Suggestions - Comprehensive list of criminal offences and their definitions (UK)
Thread poster: Rad Graban

Rad Graban  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:15
English to Slovak
+ ...
May 1, 2013

I am compiling English (UK) > Slovak glossary of legal terms and I'm looking for a good source of all criminal offences and their definitions. Can anyone recommend any website and/or publication where I could find everything in one place? I would also appreciate any links to a good source for all types of court orders.

Many thanks.

Derrio  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 03:15
Spanish to English
+ ...
Blackstone's May 1, 2013

Blackstone's Police Manuals would be a good start. They cover the syllabus for the Police promotion exams and, if I remember correctly, come in four volumes - Crime, Road Traffic, General Police Duties and Evidence and Procedure. Published by Oxford University Press. Obviously the 'Crime' volume would be best for what you are after. There is a website -http://www.blackstonespolice.com/public/ - but I'm not sure if you get full access unless you are a serving Police Officer. That said, they are available in most bookshops. The crime volume will have pretty much every criminal offence along with definitions.

The websites for the CPS (www.cps.gov.uk) and Ministry of Justice (www.justice.gov.uk) may also help as may the website of the Association of Chief Police Officers (www.acpo.police.uk) with certain matters.

Hope this helps.

Rad Graban  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Slovak
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, Derrio May 2, 2013

These Police Manuals look very promising and I will get them. There is not much on CPS website and I also contacted them. They couldn't assist and recommended to contact Law Society which could not help either and recommended to contact Solicitors Regulation Authority.icon_smile.gif Waiting to hear from them. Ministry of Justice has a pretty good glossary on its website and I have already included some of the terms in my glossary.

Once again, thank you for your recommendations.

Ania Heasley  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Polish
+ ...
CPS - be patient with them May 2, 2013

Try digging deeper within the CPS website, they have a Legal Guidance section, arranged alphabetically: http://www.cps.gov.uk/legal/.
Just about every offence is listed, e.g. section L-O lists all Offences against the Person

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Suggestions - Comprehensive list of criminal offences and their definitions (UK)

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search