Richard Lardi  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:49
Member (2013)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jul 1, 2013

Hello everybody,

I recently translated a birth certificate for a lady from Texas who is moving to the Dominican Republic and marrying a Dominican citizen. They plan to get married in DR. Apparently the local court where she is applying for a marriage license said that it was not properly notarized. They were fine with the translation and certification letter but not the notarization. I have about 10 days to get this to her or she doesn't get marriedicon_frown.gif.

This is what I did, please tell me what I need to do differently: I translated a copy of her birth certificate that she emailed me and I went to the bank and had my translation notarized along with my translation certification letter which is in English and Spanish. The notary used a stamp not a seal. Should I get an actual raised seal from a notary? Also does she need to have her original birth certificate notarized on her part from the State of Texas or the Department of State? Am I missing something else? Please advise or feel free to ask any follow up questions. Tks!

Rich
(: in a jam)

[Edited at 2013-07-01 16:54 GMT]

Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:49
English to Spanish
+ ...
Ask in D.R. Jul 1, 2013

Have your client ask the authorities in the D.R. what they don't like about the notarization, they are the ones that have to be pleased.

LilianNekipelov  Identity Verified
United States
Russian to English
+ ...
You need an aposille attached Jul 1, 2013

It is a piece of paper which certifies that the notary who notarized the certificate of accuracy is a lawful notary licensed by X county in Y State. It can only be obtained from the County Clerk's Office where the notary is registered.

Otherwise they can also sign it and notarize it at the Dominican Consulate but it is usually much more expensive. The apostille costs something like $12 in NY, but it is sometimes a real pain to get it, because you have to stand on line, and when you mail it in you have to wait 2 weeks, if you are lucky that they don't lose the mail or it ends up in a different department. Then you have to mail the pink slip from the County Clerk to the Department of State with a money order for $10 and wait about ten days for them to send it to you.

[Edited at 2013-07-01 17:38 GMT]

Richard Lardi  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2013)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Cancel red alert! Jul 1, 2013

Thank you Henry and Lillian. My translation and notarization were in order. She has to go get an Apostille for her birth certificate at the US Embassy in DR or the Texas Secretary of State in Austin Texas. The form is actually bilingual so I am out of that loop 100%(I think). It's quite interesting, all countries who signed the Hague Legalization Convention of 1961 are required to have people who apply for marriage licenses and adoption to have their birth certificate authenticated with an Apostille letter. It was designed to promote international simplification of legalizing documents and among other things, to help prevent polygamy.

Is translation work always this fascinating?

Rich

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to legalize a translation of a birth certificate for the Dominican Republic

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search