Thread poster: Beatrice Martinelli
Beatrice Martinelli
Beatrice Martinelli  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:12
English to Italian
+ ...
Nov 12, 2014

I have recently been contacted by someone working at a university for a proofreading of a paper. I would be required to do an affidavit (or statutory declaration) before undertaking the proof-reading job for them. The text to be proof-read is not a legal document, so I was wondering whether anyone else has ever been asked to do this for any university or other organisation? Thank you!

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 14:12
Dutch to English
+ ...
Unusual request Nov 12, 2014

I can only think of a declaration that goes with the proofread document AFTER it is finished stating that you have checked the document for (grammatical and spelling) errors to the best of your ability. Even that is an unusual request.

Beatrice Martinelli
United Kingdom
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
What I thought Nov 12, 2014

Thank you for your reply, Tina! That is what I thought as well.

Anyone else thinks so or has been asked to do an affidavit or undertake other legal procedures? I know translations of legal documents sometimes require sworn translators, but I wouldn't have thought this was the case with a non legal document.

Andrea Muller (X)
Andrea Muller (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to German
+ ...
Never been asked to do that, either Nov 12, 2014

Unless they mean some kind of confidentiality agreement? Have they said what you are supposed to declare in the affidavit?

I only know of German universities asking writers of papers for an affidavit, to confirm that the work they are s
... See more
Unless they mean some kind of confidentiality agreement? Have they said what you are supposed to declare in the affidavit?

I only know of German universities asking writers of papers for an affidavit, to confirm that the work they are submitting is their original work: http://www.med.uni-goettingen.de/en/media/G1-2_lehre/PhD_leaflet_06_-_Submission_of_the_PhD_Thesis.pdf I would assume that is because of all these German politicians losing their academic titles because of plagiarism. But this would not make no sense at all for a proof-reader.
Collapse

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:12
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
I think direct clients often use very different words, Nov 12, 2014

so different to what we use in the translator circle. Thus some times we need to ask the client to clarify what they really need.

Beatrice Martinelli
United Kingdom
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
They did mean affidavit Nov 13, 2014

They sent me the affidavit document by e-mail and yes, they confirmed they did mean that (!). However they are now finding out from the university admin people whether this is really necessary or whether it can be avoided.

Thank you very much for your contributions!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Request of an affidavit for a proof-reading

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »