Thread poster: Monika Takacs
Monika Takacs
Monika Takacs  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 10:39
Hungarian to Italian
+ ...
May 24, 2016

I would like to ask all translators who have ever translated documents to Italian that at the end were given to the Italian tax office (namely company documents). I was contacted now for a translation done 2 months ago, that the Italian tax office asked the client, (then the client asked the translation agency) to provide the ID card of the person who personally prepared the translation. This request is really strange for me, it never happened something like that. Is it normal? Should I really p... See more
I would like to ask all translators who have ever translated documents to Italian that at the end were given to the Italian tax office (namely company documents). I was contacted now for a translation done 2 months ago, that the Italian tax office asked the client, (then the client asked the translation agency) to provide the ID card of the person who personally prepared the translation. This request is really strange for me, it never happened something like that. Is it normal? Should I really provide my ID?
Thank you
Monika
Collapse

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 05:39
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Is it an attempt to get a "sworn" translation in Italy? May 24, 2016

After I briefly perused this page, it seems that there is no such thing as a "traduttore giurato in Italy.

In Brazil, for instance, sworn translations are required by law, details provi
... See more
After I briefly perused this page, it seems that there is no such thing as a "traduttore giurato in Italy.

In Brazil, for instance, sworn translations are required by law, details provided in English on this page. Spain has a law that is similar to the Brazilian one in many aspects.

In these (Spain/Brazil) cases, the translation will be issued on the translator's official stationery, all pages initialed, and the last one stamped/sealed and signed. The original source document (or a copy thereof) will be attached, also stamped and initialed by the translator. Therefore the sworn translator will take full liability for the accuracy of the sworn translation s/he issued.

In your case, you did a plain translation, handed it over to an agency, which delivered it to the end-client, who submitted it to the local tax office. It was probably an unsigned TXT or DOC file, perhaps a "live" (= editable) PDF.

You have absolutely NO idea on whether the translation was tampered with or altered by anyone on this long route. Yet, since there are no sworn translators in Italy, the tax office now wants your ID to enter on some record there that you are the one responsible for the accuracy and completeness of whatever translation they received!

I wouldn't bite this bait.

(For the record, I speak Italian, but IMO not sufficiently to translate into/from it.)
Collapse

2GT
2GT  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
Asseverazione May 24, 2016

José Henrique Lamensdorf:

There are no sworn translators in Italy, but you can indeed do a sworn translation (asseverazione) in Italian courts.
Read here for more details.

Cheers
Gianni

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 05:39
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
That's what I feared May 24, 2016

2G Trad wrote:

José Henrique Lamensdorf:

There are no sworn translators in Italy, but you can indeed do a sworn translation (asseverazione) in Italian courts.
Read here for more details.

Cheers
Gianni

The tax office will get her ID and may casually mention "una traduzione asseverata da Monika Takacs, ID# whatever, address whatever" in the process, until some nitpicker finds out that she did NOT certify the translation, and she finds out that it was altered on the way between her and the tax office.

Better stay clear from a potential imbroglio.

Monika Takacs
Monika Takacs  Identity Verified
Italy
Hungarian to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
better not to get involved May 25, 2016

Dear Jose, thanks a lot for your long explication, that's exactly what I imagined, so i decided not to provide my ID, explaining also that a "traduzione asseverata" has its price, I asked for a normal price and I have no idea (as you mentioned) who and what changed in my translation during review and/or proofreading. thanks a lot!!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

translation given to Italian Tax office

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »