Thread poster: Winston Szeto

Winston Szeto
Local time: 14:16
Member (2017)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Mar 30

Dear fellow translators,

I have read a commentary recently published on a US national newspaper that I really want to translate into Chinese and get it published on a well-known Hong Kong newspaper. I have asked the author on LinkedIn for permission to translate his/her work, specifying my purpose of the translation to make it accessible to the local Hong Kong audience. The author made a positive reply. But I feel that I should at least prepare a formal translation rights request agreement for both of us to sign. I'm totally new to this area, so how should I write an agreement like this? When I pitch to a newspaper where I want to publish the translation, should I first of all show this agreement to them as a proof that I have obtained permission from the author? Should I prepare another agreement with the target language newspaper specifying that I have the copyright of the piece of translation? Should I seek permission from the newspaper where the original article was published as well?

Thank you very much for your help!

Robin Levey
Chile
Local time: 03:16
Spanish to English
+ ...
Applause - and a word of caution Mar 31

I applaud your willingness to do things properly. It’s so rare in the everyday world of copyright infringement that it merits our respecticon_smile.gif

That said, the mere fact that the author has “made a positive reply” to your request “for permission to translate his/her work” does not (necessarily) constitute a copyright assignment in your favour. It doesn’t even imply (necessarily) that the author is the current copyright owner – and if (s)he is not, (s)he cannot legally assign the copyright to you even if (s)he wanted or intended to. What if the author was on a “work for hire” engagement, for example? Or maybe the author works as freelancer/stringer and assigned the copyright to a press agency in exchange for payment, after which the US newspaper you refer to simply reproduced something from that agency?

Step 1: Check the facts.
Step 2: Proceed (perhaps) with caution.

RL

Winston Szeto
Local time: 14:16
Member (2017)
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Terms of service of the newspaper found Mar 31

Thank you. I have found this terms of service, which means that I will have to contact the newspaper for permission:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/ask-the-post/reprints-and-permissions/?utm_term=.7264c082f680

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Request for translation rights from the author of a published newspaper article

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search