https://www.proz.com/forum/lighter_side_of_trans_interp/105038-calidad_another_great_example_of_translation_in_the_media.html

Off topic: calidad?! another great example of translation in the media
Thread poster: Rose Jenkinson
Rose Jenkinson
Rose Jenkinson  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:31
French to English
+ ...
May 19, 2008

Dear fellow Prozians,

It's only the local rag, so am not going to get too indignant about it, but I saw this article today which made me cringe and thought it might amuse somebody.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/s/1050181_citys_most_overdue_library_book

Narcis Lozano Drago
Narcis Lozano Drago  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 14:31
Member (2007)
English to Spanish
+ ...
"Quality me!!" May 19, 2008

Just go to Babel Fish and type "Goodness Me!". You will find who was the "translator" used by this "journalist"^^.

Narcis

[Editado a las 2008-05-19 18:14]

Luisa Ramos, CT
Luisa Ramos, CT  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:31
English to Spanish
A good laugh May 20, 2008

Thanks for the good laugh. I live in Miami; you would not believe the things I see and hear, day in, day out.

Nesrin
Nesrin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Arabic
+ ...
Trying to be funny May 20, 2008

I think the journalist's just trying to be funny... at least I hope he is.

Susan Welsh
Susan Welsh  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:31
Russian to English
+ ...
What do construction contractors do in their spare time? (German) May 20, 2008

I found a funny one on the LEO German online dictionary the other day (normally a very useful source.) The definition for "rasche Montage" is given as "fast erection [constr.]."
(I called it to their attention, and they'll hopefully fix it when they get a chance.)

[Edited at 2008-05-20 10:54]

lexical
lexical  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 14:31
Portuguese to English
Reminds me... May 20, 2008

...of an English ex-pat living in the Algarve who, at best, spoke proto-Portuguese. When someone spoke rubbish, he would exclaim "Lixo!" which is Portuguese for the rubbish/trash you put out weekly for the collectors, instead of "Que disparate!" (Nonsense!).

It can be surprisingly difficult sometimes to persuade proto-speakers that their logic is wrong.

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Michael Caine May 20, 2008

Slightly off the subject, but still ...
There's a story (possibly apocryphal) that Michael Caine was filming in Spain and, during a break at a café and hearing others calling "Oiga!" to attract a waiter, asked a his table companion "Get me an oiga, would you?"
Jenny

Rose Jenkinson
Rose Jenkinson  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
babelfish May 20, 2008

Of course, babelfish - I should have guessed! It's frightening that so many people outside the translation community think of it as a serious translation tool. Miami must be an interesting place to live Luisa, I bet you could write a book about all the strange linguistic mix-ups and misunderstandings!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

calidad?! another great example of translation in the media

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »