Off topic: Yet Another Hilarious Speech/Written Word Site
Thread poster: Katherine Zei
Today, I stumbled upon the nth humour site devoted to slips in the English language. It can be found here:
Among the notables are the Words Without Thought -- Bungling the English language segment and the The Language Barrier -- When learning English, sometimes being close is still very far away segment.
| | Palko Agi
Local time: 18:02
English to Hungarian
| | Katherine Zei
Local time: 12:02
Italian to English
| Sempre un piacere, mai un dovere! || May 13, 2003 |
Always a pleasure, never a chore!
| | Kvasir
Local time: 10:02
English to Chinese
| How to ask a stupid kudos question || May 15, 2003 |
What an entertaining site!
no doubt we get stupid kudos questions from time to time, usually from anonymous users.
Few ones (or variation thereof) i can recall:
- \"M\" context: \"the letter M\" (english-chinese)
- \"John Smith\" (or any name given in latin alphabets). context: \"how is my name spelt?\" (english-chinese)
- \"16\" context: \"length\" (english-french)
- (any words with multiple meanings) context: \"please help!!!!\" (english-any language)
- (any unfamiliar abbreviations) context: \"abbreviation\" (any language-any language) sure, let us do the guesswork!
- (any term) context: \"hi!\" or \"thank you all!\" (any language to any language) erm. thankx for being polite, but...
- \"someterm\" context: \"someterm\" (any language to any language) why bother with the context field when you are just repeating the source word?
While we\'re laughing at other people\'s stupidity, i can\'t help but think that at some point in our lives we may be the ones asking or saying the stupid things. The sad part is, we probably would never realise it ourselves.
[ This Message was edited by: Kvasir on 2003-05-15 22:26]
| || |
To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:
You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »
Yet Another Hilarious Speech/Written Word Site
|memoQ translator pro|
|Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.|
With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.
More info »
|SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance|
|The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.|
SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running and helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features.
More info »