https://www.proz.com/forum/lighter_side_of_trans_interp/115837-one_of_those_months.html

Off topic: One of those months...
Thread poster: Marion van Venrooij-Rooijmans
Marion van Venrooij-Rooijmans
Netherlands
Local time: 07:28
English to Dutch
Sep 19, 2008

I wish September was over. I have been working far too much, just to make up for the money I didn't earn in August (when I was on holiday). Today is probably the sixth day in a row that my arms are painful and I simply can't focus on that enormous job due for Monday anymore. On top of that, my internet connection already broke down twice today (let's hope it won't do so again before I can post this) and one of my customers just complained about one of my translations (and she's right).
... See more
I wish September was over. I have been working far too much, just to make up for the money I didn't earn in August (when I was on holiday). Today is probably the sixth day in a row that my arms are painful and I simply can't focus on that enormous job due for Monday anymore. On top of that, my internet connection already broke down twice today (let's hope it won't do so again before I can post this) and one of my customers just complained about one of my translations (and she's right).

Sigh...

Positive replies would be greatly appreciated.
Collapse

Peter Manda (X)
Peter Manda (X)
Local time: 01:28
German to English
+ ...
overwhelmed to the task Sep 20, 2008

It is time for you to put on your shoes and go into nature. Walk a lilttle and breath in the fresh air, then come home and sleep for at least 2 hours. This will take you a total of 4 hours; but your quality will improve tremendously. Too, if your PM is sympathetic and kind, (as mine was when I once was in a similar (and maybe even worse) situation), then it helps to just chat with the PM. Maybe the project can be pushed forward for a day or so. But, most important is the step away.

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 23:28
Dutch to English
+ ...
Need a break Sep 20, 2008

I fully agree with Peter's advice. No matter how busy you are, a break will do you good and you will work better afterwards. Tell your complaining client that you're sorry, you've been very busy, and you will take care of it after monday.

In addition: get a cable connection. I have tried to get on the internet and e-mail at a family member's home on a visit to Holland. It is hopelessly slow and frequently breaks down - no wonder they don't like to e-mail. As a translator you nee
... See more
I fully agree with Peter's advice. No matter how busy you are, a break will do you good and you will work better afterwards. Tell your complaining client that you're sorry, you've been very busy, and you will take care of it after monday.

In addition: get a cable connection. I have tried to get on the internet and e-mail at a family member's home on a visit to Holland. It is hopelessly slow and frequently breaks down - no wonder they don't like to e-mail. As a translator you need a reliable connection. It is a business expense.

Good luck and hope you will feel better after a break.
Collapse

Alexandra Goldburt
Alexandra Goldburt
Local time: 22:28
English to Russian
+ ...
Ditto. Sep 20, 2008

Peter Manda wrote:

It is time for you to put on your shoes and go into nature. Walk a little and breath in the fresh air, then come home and sleep for at least 2 hours. This will take you a total of 4 hours; but your quality will improve tremendously. Too, if your PM is sympathetic and kind, (as mine was when I once was in a similar (and maybe even worse) situation), then it helps to just chat with the PM. Maybe the project can be pushed forward for a day or so. But, most important is the step away.

The advice is so good, I really don't have much to add. Except, maybe: if you live reasonably close to the sea, go to the sea. Nothing makes you feel better than to observe the waves...

If you have a place to sit outdoors (even if it's just a balcony), sit there with a cup of tea just when the evening turns into night - I find it incredibly calming...

And by the way, I am spending the whole day today lying in the hammock in my backyard - something I absolutely have to do periodically to keep myself in working condition.

Netherlands
Local time: 07:28
English to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Sep 23, 2008

Thank you for your replies.

I managed to finish the project in time and now I plan to do other things than just working. I guess all this work in the past month was far from healthy: I was sick yesterday and I still feel exhausted today. That is definitely not worth it.

Thanks again.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

One of those months...

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »