Off topic: It pays to do some research...
Thread poster: Rob2031
Rob2031
Rob2031
Canada
Local time: 03:26
German to English
+ ...
Sep 30, 2008

A few years back, a former colleague was doing some terminology research online when she came across this gem. One guy was laughing so hard that he actually fell off his chair. I'd lost the url for the "Alter Wirt", but am delighted to have found this treasure once more. Check out the "Standard Card" at:

http://www.alterwirt.com/englisches_web/restaurant_en.php
... See more
A few years back, a former colleague was doing some terminology research online when she came across this gem. One guy was laughing so hard that he actually fell off his chair. I'd lost the url for the "Alter Wirt", but am delighted to have found this treasure once more. Check out the "Standard Card" at:

http://www.alterwirt.com/englisches_web/restaurant_en.php

Regards,
Rob
Collapse

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:26
German to English
Love the machine translation Sep 30, 2008

They probably paid 50 EUR for the software. That's great. Thanks for the laugh.

Åsa Campbell
Åsa Campbell  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 19:56
English to Swedish
Hilarious! Sep 30, 2008

Rob2031
Rob2031
Canada
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Software? Sep 30, 2008

Kevin Fulton wrote:

They probably paid 50 EUR for the software.

Sounds more like they brought Yoda in to handle it.

Anne Goff
Anne Goff  Identity Verified
United States
French to English
+ ...
Yummy! Oct 1, 2008

"Roasted river cancer tails on Avocado"

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 04:26
Dutch to English
+ ...
How to find Oct 1, 2008

Fortunately, the "How to find" link does not work.

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 13:26
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
No MT Oct 1, 2008

This has been done by the Wirt himself. I'm sure the food tastes better than the translation. Better good Bavarian food and a bad English translation than good English food and a bad German translation, or what do you think?

Regards
Heinrich

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 06:26
English to French
+ ...
A challenge Oct 1, 2008

Anne Goff wrote:

"Roasted river cancer tails on Avocado"

Where is texjax? If she's around, I'd really love to challenge her to post a picture which can explain to us what this means...

awilliams
awilliams
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:26
Italian to English
+ ...
Ah, an apple-wobble Oct 1, 2008

My favourite.

I hope someone has contacted them to explain the situation and offer their services...?

Enjoy,
Amy

Angela Dickson (X)
Angela Dickson (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
challenge Oct 1, 2008

Better good Bavarian food and a bad English translation than good English food and a bad German translation, or what do you think?

Come to the UK, Heinrich, and I and I'm sure several other British translators will take you out for a good English meal. Quality of German translation not guaranteed.

Rachel Fell
Rachel Fell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
river cancer tails Oct 1, 2008

Crayfish tails, I think... !

Kevin Lossner
Kevin Lossner  Identity Verified
Portugal
German to English
+ ...
English food is better than its old reputation Oct 1, 2008

Heinrich Pesch wrote:
Better good Bavarian food and a bad English translation than good English food and a bad German translation, or what do you think?

You aren't up to date on English food, are you? On my frequent visits from 2003 to 2004 I found it to be first rate, much better than German fare.

That web site is really something. I disagree that a human created that mess. It looks like it is straight out of Babelfish or Systran. When I worked for a German software company there was a fellow in the support department who translated his support tickets into English this way, and the results were hilarious.

Rob2031
Rob2031
Canada
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
What??.... Oct 1, 2008

Amy Williams wrote:

My favourite.

I hope someone has contacted them to explain the situation and offer their services...?

Enjoy,
Amy

...and bring such a good thing to an end?? Actually at the time we (four of us) offered to translate all their texts properly in exchange for a weekend at the hotel/restaurant, but they didn't go for it.

Rob2031
Rob2031
Canada
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Machine... Oct 1, 2008

Kevin Lossner wrote:

That web site is really something. I disagree that a human created that mess. It looks like it is straight out of Babelfish or Systran. When I worked for a German software company there was a fellow in the support department who translated his support tickets into English this way, and the results were hilarious.

Absolutely. Looking around at the rest of the website, you see that in the "English" texts the lexical components are there (though sometimes the wrong variant: "cancer" instead of "crayfish"), while the German grammatical structure remains intact. The result? As before, something that really does sound like language produced by Yoda.

moken
moken  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
Have you tried to copy paste it? Oct 10, 2008

Thank´s for you interest [email protected]

The "this is only one single dump" got me wondering...either you didn't miss anything when they turned you down for the weekend or the rations must be tiny.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

It pays to do some research...

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »