Off topic: Translation EN>EN of scientific sentences
Thread poster: RNAtranslator
RNAtranslator
RNAtranslator  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:48
English to Spanish
+ ...
Oct 10, 2008

Are you interested in translation of scientific texts? As a former scientist, I can teach you a little. Let's begin with something easy: EN>EN translation:

"It has long been known"... I didn't look up the original reference.

"A definite trend is evident"... These data are practically meaningless.

"While it has not been possible to provide definite answers to the questions"... An unsuccessful experiment, but I still hope to get it published.

... See more
Are you interested in translation of scientific texts? As a former scientist, I can teach you a little. Let's begin with something easy: EN>EN translation:

"It has long been known"... I didn't look up the original reference.

"A definite trend is evident"... These data are practically meaningless.

"While it has not been possible to provide definite answers to the questions"... An unsuccessful experiment, but I still hope to get it published.

"Three of the samples were chosen for detailed study"... The other results didn't make any sense.

"Typical results are shown"... This is the prettiest graph.

"These results will be in a subsequent report"... I might get around to this sometime, if pushed/funded.

"In my experience"... once

"In case after case"... twice

"In a series of cases"... thrice

"It is believed that"... I think.

"It is generally believed that"... A couple of others think so, too.

"Correct within an order of magnitude"... Wrong.

"According to statistical analysis"... Rumor has it.

"A statistically oriented projection of the significance of these findings"... A wild guess.

"A careful analysis of obtainable data"... Three pages of notes were obliterated when I knocked over a glass of pop.

"It is clear that much additional work will be required before a complete understanding of this phenomenon occurs"... I don't understand it.

"After additional study by my colleagues"... They don't understand it either.

"A highly significant area for exploratory study"... A totally useless topic selected by my committee.

"It is hoped that this study will stimulate further investigation in this field"... I quit.

"Thanks are due to Joe Blotz for assistance with the experiment and to Cindy Adams for valuable discussions"... Mr. Blotz did the work and Ms. Adams explained to me what it meant.

Believe me, the 5th one is absolutely true, and I knew a Univerity professor for whom the last one is perfect.

Maybe Proz staff would want to add this to the open glossary

(I am not the author of the sentences; I saw them some years ago)
Collapse

Katherine Mérignac
Katherine Mérignac  Identity Verified
France
Member (2004)
Yes - I can relate to that! Oct 13, 2008

I needed to smile today - so a heartfelt thank you!!

K

Milena Bosco (X)
Milena Bosco (X)  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
Nice. Oct 13, 2008

If only scientists had not the necessity to eat and survive! Probabily all diseases would have been cured and we would be driving eco-friendly flying vehicles.

Unfortunately they need to "sell" as well.

Have a nice day,
Milena

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
¡¡¡MUY BUENO!!! Oct 13, 2008

ha ha ha ha!!!! Fantastic. Thanks a lot for the laughs!

Marie-Hélène Hayles
Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
Great! Oct 13, 2008

Thanks for those - only too true!

However, I'd take exception with the explanation for "These results will be in a subsequent report" - what this actually means, in the modern academic world of publish or perish, is "I'm hoping to get at least two publications out of this miserable little study, more if I can get away with it"

[Edit
... See more
Thanks for those - only too true!

However, I'd take exception with the explanation for "These results will be in a subsequent report" - what this actually means, in the modern academic world of publish or perish, is "I'm hoping to get at least two publications out of this miserable little study, more if I can get away with it"

[Edited at 2008-10-13 16:11]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translation EN>EN of scientific sentences

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »