Off topic: Your favorite words in your languages
Thread poster: Sara Senft

Sara Senft  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:32
Spanish to English
+ ...
Oct 26, 2008

I'm curious....are there words in your native and non-native languages that you especially like?

There are some words in Spanish and English that I especially like. In other words, I love how they sound/"feel"/etc.

Some of my favorites:

--Fickle
--Polemico/a (It's a Spanish adjective meaning 'controversial.')

Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Spanish
+ ...
Some of mine Oct 27, 2008

Great thread!

From the top of my head:
  • Nuannaarpoq - Years ago, somebody posted that word in these fora. It means 'the extravagant pleasure of being alive' in Innuit. I can't think of a more extraordinary word.

• Mariposa (sp) / butterfly (en) / papillon (fr) / borboleta (pt) - I'm not crazy about the actual butterflies but I love the words

• Aujourd'hui

In English:
  • Nevermore

• Adobe

• Yearn / yearning

• Evergreen

• Actually

• Azimuth

In Spanish
  • Jacarandá

• Renacimiento

• Criatura

• Albahaca, lapislázuli, alambre, acicalar, ajorca, berenjena - Pretty much any Arabic loanword

[Edited at 2008-10-27 02:00]

PRAKAASH  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 10:02
Member (2007)
English to Hindi
+ ...
Some of mine! Oct 27, 2008

My favourite ones? Here they are.....

In Hindi, they are

नमस्‍कार i.e. Namaskar!
हे प्रभु i.e. Hey Prabhu!

a hindi verse

ऐसी बानी बोलि‍ये, मन का आपा खोय.
औरन को सीतल करे, आपहु सीतल होय.

बुरा जो देखन मैं चला, मुझसा बुरा न कोय.

In Nepali, they are

हजुर i.e. A respect giving pronoun- hajura
नमस्‍कार i.e. Namaskar same as in Hindi.
बाबु-नानीहरू i.e. Babu-nani haru, all kids including boys and girls. I used it while doing teaching in a school in Nepal.

A small verse/poem
कुखुरी काँ, बासी भात खा, खई बासी भात,........

In Sanskrit,

ओम् Om!

कर्मसु कौशलम् Karmasu Kaushalam!

उद्यमेन हि‍ सि‍ध्‍यन्‍ति‍, कार्याणि‍ न मनोरथै:.
न हि‍ सुप्‍तस्‍य सिंहस्‍य, प्रवि‍शन्‍ति‍ मुखे मृगा:.

वि‍द्या ददाति‍ वि‍नयं, वि‍नयाति‍ याति‍ पात्रताम्,
पात्रत्‍वात् धनमाप्‍नोति‍, धनात्‍धर्मं ततस्‍सुखम्.

ओम् ह्रौं जूँ स:, ओम् भूर्भुव: स्‍व: ....... (महामृत्‍युंजय मंत्र, mahamrityunjaya mantra)

Also, one more, it's

HAPPY DIWALI TO ALL OF YOU!
icon_smile.gif
PRAKAASH
Freelance Translator of Nepali, Hindi Sanskrit and English to four of the same languages.
Cell No.: 0091-9310999079

David Brown  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 05:32
Spanish to English
Favourite words Oct 27, 2008

[quote]Srta Sara wrote:

"I'm curious....are there words in your native and non-native languages that you especially like?"

From the top of my head this morning

English- flummoxed
peeved
countervailing

Angelica Christin  Identity Verified
France
Member (2008)
English to Swahili
+ ...
Here are mine! Oct 27, 2008

Swahili:

Shikamoo - Greeting from a younger person to an older person

English:
flabbergasted - greatly surprised

Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:32
Member (2000)
Russian to English
+ ...
Jabberwock Oct 27, 2008

The names given in different languages to Lewis Carroll's mythical creature from a poem in "Alice Through the Looking Glass":

English: Jabberwock

Danish: Kloppervok

French: Jaseroque

German: Jammerwoch

Russian: Бармаглот

Spanish: Bemboguaba

Italian: Ciarlestrone

Portuguese: Jaguadarte

Polish: Zabrolaki

See also http://www.proz.com/forum/literature_poetry/26603-a_difficult_poem_to_translate.html

[Edited at 2008-10-27 15:43]

Stéphanie Soudais  Identity Verified
France
Member (2006)
English to French
Already discussed Oct 27, 2008

Here:
http://www.proz.com/forum/off_topic/80429-favourite_words_in_your_native_language.html

and here:
http://www.proz.com/forum/poll_discussion/98473-poll:_do_you_have_a_favorite_word_in_each_of_your_languages_please_share.html

Stéphanie

[Edited at 2008-10-27 09:51]

Caroline Moreno  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:32
Chinese to English
+ ...
A few English, Chinese and Greek favorites Oct 27, 2008

English:
exuberant
flabbergasted
ooze
congeal
groove

In general, I love how almost anything can become a verb in English and also how many words which originated in foreign languages are now a part of standard English.

English/Latin:
sine qua non

Chinese:
葡萄牙(Putaoya)- Portugal, but it literally reads "grape teeth."
美国 (Meiguo)- America, but the "mei" means "beautiful" as well.
糟糕(zaogao)- "darn!"but literally "rotten cake!"Reminds me of the old Batman show.
云雨 (yunyu)- literally "clouds and rain," but actually, making love.

Greek:
agape

It's so interesting how different languages view and talk about (or don't talk about) love- but this could be a whole different threadicon_smile.gif

Krzysztof Łesyk  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 13:32
Japanese to English
+ ...
Yes, I'm weird. Oct 27, 2008

My absolutely favorite word in English is "dingleberry" - it just sounds really funny for some reason, even if the meaning is grossicon_biggrin.gif It also reminds me of "jingle" (as in "jingle bells"), which is another word I like. I bet you didn't really need the mental image of jingling dingleberries, did you now? Well, too badicon_razz.gif

In my native Polish, I love the word "wyszczerzyć", that might be translated to "snarl" or maybe "bare (one's teeth)", but it is also sometimes used to mean "to smile very broadly"

In Japanese, I love あららら (pronounced "ararara" - with as many "ra"s as you can manage - you can go from a simple "ara" denoting a mild surprise to a prolonged "arararararara" that would mean something along the lines of "goodnes gracious oh me oh my!"), おっとっとっと (pronounced "ottottotto". Different meanings depending on the context, so hard to translate - "ahh" maybe? You can add more "tto"s for a slightly comical effect) and よっこらしょ ("yokkorasho" - Can't think of any good English translation, but it's used mainly by older people when doing something mildly strenuous, like lifting something, climbing a flight of stairs, getting out of bed and so on. "Aaand, here goes nothing!" is the closest English equivalent I can think of right now).

Amy Duncan (X)  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 02:32
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Nice to have the other links, but... Oct 27, 2008

Do I get the feeling you're saying it shouldn't be discussed again? Maybe there are new people who missed those earlier links, and I doubt that most people would be bothered to look in the archives...I know I wouldn't. I don't care how many times a topic has been discussed...I always like to hear new ideas and views.

Arianne Farah  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2008)
English to French
Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens... Oct 28, 2008

Sorry, that was favourite thingsicon_wink.gif

My word would be:

Wanderlust

Because it's not only a beautiful word composed of beautiful words - wander & lust - but it completely and utterly defines me!icon_biggrin.gif

I also have a soft spot for "quintessential" for some reason, oh and "supercalifragilistic expialodocious"

In French, hum, French is more about l'agencement de mots than the individual evocative power of a single word, however I remember being tickled silly during a translation yesterday - how such an ugly image as "landfill run-off" can give you the word "lixiviat" in French which sounds so pretty in and of itselficon_wink.gif

Stéphanie Soudais  Identity Verified
France
Member (2006)
English to French
. Oct 28, 2008

Amy Duncan wrote:

Do I get the feeling you're saying it shouldn't be discussed again? .

Not at all! I was just meaning "look at here, you will get other ideas".

But I must add that since the poll was lauched last February - i.e. not that long ago - why not carry on this thread instead of starting a new one ?

Stéphanie

SilviuM
Romania
Local time: 06:32
Romanian to English
+ ...
Great thread, strange idea Oct 28, 2008

Well, I gotta hand it to you, this IS a great thread, but it's also a... strange idea, sorta.icon_smile.gif
Hm, my fav. word in Romanian... That's a tough one!icon_razz.gif

I think it's... "(a) analiza", vb. -> "(to) analyse"

Valerijs Svincovs  Identity Verified
Latvia
English to Latvian
+ ...
some of mine Oct 29, 2008

English: gasp - doesn't it sound beautiful!
German: Edelstahleckeinbauspüle - this is obviousicon_smile.gif 5 in 1

Anita du Plessis  Identity Verified
South Africa
Member (2008)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
My Afrikaans Favourites Nov 4, 2008

I love these words because they sound so nice and they also have double meanings (Quite humorous I might add):

Trapsuutjies - it means tread lightly in a literal sense and is the name for a chameleon. But it can also mean a very slow person.

Kruidjie-roer-my-nie - type of bush with very sensitive leaves. If you touch it, the leaves curl up and close. It can also be used for an overly sensitive person.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Your favorite words in your languages

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search