Off topic: Looks like they do not practice what they preach!
Thread poster: Tim Drayton
Tim Drayton
Tim Drayton  Identity Verified
Cyprus
Local time: 11:09
Turkish to English
+ ...
Feb 24, 2009

I couldn't resist the temptation to share the following quote from an unsolicited e-mail I received advertising a translation company's services:

"Every project will passes via the process of - Translation – proofreading – dtp (if necessary) - QA and spot-check – delivery."

Daniel Šebesta
Daniel Šebesta  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 10:09
Member (2007)
English to Czech
+ ...
They don't? Feb 25, 2009

Hi Tim,

What is it that makes you believe they don't follow this procedure?

I personally do know several translation companies that procede like this. (I work with them on three of the stages.)

Daniel

Raffaella Panigada
Raffaella Panigada  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Member (2007)
English to Italian
+ ...
Because! Feb 25, 2009

Daniel Šebesta wrote:

Daniel

Because no proofreader (older than 9, that is) would have allowed "will passes"
Here's to QA!

Raffaella

Daniel Šebesta
Daniel Šebesta  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2007)
English to Czech
+ ...
Mistakes in their own presentation Feb 25, 2009

Well, yes, if that were the only mistake in their sentence, they would be lucky. The usage and variation of hyphens/dashes and capitalization are also remarkable.

But I am not that surprised by this. Reading job postings by project managers but even forum postings by translators/proofreaders (here and elsewhere), I got used to seeing a lot of things. I
... See more
Well, yes, if that were the only mistake in their sentence, they would be lucky. The usage and variation of hyphens/dashes and capitalization are also remarkable.

But I am not that surprised by this. Reading job postings by project managers but even forum postings by translators/proofreaders (here and elsewhere), I got used to seeing a lot of things. I hope they all do apply more careful procedures to work that actually reaches their clients.

Daniel
Collapse

Tim Drayton
Tim Drayton  Identity Verified
Cyprus
Local time: 11:09
Turkish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I just thought it was funny. Feb 25, 2009

Daniel Šebesta wrote:

Hi Tim,

I personally do know several translation companies that procede like this. (I work with them on three of the stages.)

Daniel

This was posted under the "lighter side of translation/interpreting" and I just found it hilarious that a company claiming to have very stringent quality controls in place could include the phrase "will passes" in their publicity material. Humour is obviously a very personal thing.

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 05:09
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Seen from both sides Feb 25, 2009

Daniel Šebesta wrote:

Me too, Daniel. However I've visited some translation companies' web sites and seen them from both sides.

On their our services page they say they always have all these stages done by highly qualified professionals.

On their recruitment page, they tell candidates things like:
- We won't check your work, it must be delivered in final quality.
- If the end-client has any complaint on your quality, we'll reduce your pay accordingly.
- If your rates are close to or above 5¢/word, don't bother to write us. We can get translators in any language pair for less than that.

Note: I know that 5¢ is quite "high" for this level of service, but I remain faithful to what I actually saw.

So, if I were an end-client seeking a translation company, in addition to their web site's "services offered" page, I'd make sure to check their "recruitment" page as well. It's good to know where/how they found the people who will actually do the work.

Margreet Logmans (X)
Margreet Logmans (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
Me too Feb 25, 2009

Tim Drayton wrote:

Daniel Šebesta wrote:

Hi Tim,

Daniel

This was posted under the "lighter side of translation/interpreting" and I just found it hilarious that a company claiming to have very stringent quality controls in place could include the phrase "will passes" in their publicity material. Humour is obviously a very personal thing.

I found it funny too. I recently saw an ad by an agency referring to themselves as 'proffessionals' - apparently their professionalism does not include the use of spell checkers.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Looks like they do not practice what they preach!

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »